• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deep into Life is Strange episode 5. I really hope some of the other guys give this a play before GotY. The end of episode 4 and all of episode 5 so far is the first time I've had actual physical and emotional reactions to a game that I remember, the closest I ever came is with Brothers -- A Tale of Two Sons and this is covering a lot more emotional bases. This is going in my top 5 ever no doubt. God this game is so good.

It's been a fine year for adventure games. I know everyone's raving about Life is Strange, but Tales From the Borderland is great, Contradiction is in a special class of it's own, and, even though it's not 100% adventure game, Sunless Sea is a glorious breath of fresh zee air.

This is the year of Vinny's spirit animal.

i'm constantly amazed by how much raw creativity is on display in every episode of R&M

also a lot of surprisingly high concept sci-fi concepts/storytelling

i think the first episode i ever watched was Something Ricked This Way Comes so i never had a chance to be put off by the burping/vomiting, but that stuff really does become a non-issue after the pilot, mostly

the combination of justin roland's fucking insane creativity and dan harmon's really fantastic sense of storytelling works so great together.

Zornack

Deep into Life is Strange episode 5. I really hope some of the other guys give this a play before GotY. The end of episode 4 and all of episode 5 so far is the first time I've had actual physical and emotional reactions to a game that I remember, the closest I ever came is with Brothers -- A Tale of Two Sons and this is covering a lot more emotional bases. This is going in my top 5 ever no doubt. God this game is so good.

Does it really get that good? Episode 1 and 2 have been pretty big misses for me. I'll finish the series because I'm having fun with it but the characters and the dialogue seem pretty bad so far.

Like (ep 2)
in the dinner when you're proving your powers and after saving Chloe from the train,
the dialogue is incredibly stilted and gamey and there are harsh jumps where a character is expressing one emotion then in the next camera shot is expressing an entirely different emotion.

(ep 2 spoilers) This is one of the scenes I'm talking about.
The sudden jump from Chloe almost dying and Max saving her life to the two of them walking down the tracks joking and talking about school is extremely jarring.

valeo

It's been a fine year for adventure games. I know everyone's raving about Life is Strange, but Tales From the Borderland is great, Contradiction is in a special class of it's own, and, even though it's not 100% adventure game, Sunless Sea is a glorious breath of fresh zee air.

Cradle is a very interesting game too; though it perhaps doesn't fulfill initial promise.

CrazyDude

Does it really get that good? Episode 1 and 2 have been pretty big misses for me. I'll finish the series because I'm having fun with it but the characters and the dialogue seem pretty bad so far.

Like (ep 2)
in the dinner when you're proving your powers and after saving Chloe from the train,
the dialogue is incredibly stilted and gamey and there are harsh jumps where a character is expressing one emotion then in the next camera shot is expressing an entirely different emotion.

Nope, it's that way for the other episodes. The game is vastly overrated. I don't get how people get rave about the story and character. There is not a single likable character in the game which makes it hard to feel emotional.

Are you all trying to prove that this show is good? Because that's not what I'm coming away with so far.

Yeah it's like....for the 2nd clip, the joke is 'HUMANS LIKE VIOLENCE AND PENIS IS A FUNNY WORD.' And the punchline by the human is 'Get it we know genocide hahahaha' it's like.....what?

Yeah it's like....for the 2nd clip, the joke is 'HUMANS LIKE VIOLENCE AND PENIS IS A FUNNY WORD.' And the punchline by the human is 'Get it we know genocide hahahaha' it's like.....what?

the joke doesn't work without the setup

basically
there's an extremely important alien civil rights leader who has saved billions of lives who needs a heart transplant and jerry's penis is the perfect replacement

so jerry has to decide whether saving the life of one of the universe's most important people is worth giving up his penis or not, while the alien doctors are appalled by his hesitation

also i just remembered how brutal the ending of that episode was

can't wait for Roiland's VR game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzVlQ653as

the joke doesn't work without the setup

basically
there's an extremely important alien civil rights leader who has saved billions of lives who needs a heart transplant and jerry's penis is the perfect replacement

so jerry has to decide whether saving the life of one of the universe's most important people is worth giving up his penis or not, while the alien doctors are appalled by his hesitation

also i just remembered how brutal the ending of that episode was

Even with that set up, it's....not something I'd wanna watch.

Just finished the first episode from Tales From the Borderlands. Lots of fun and I'm really liking the characters so far. Definitely gonna keep going with it.

hamchan

Stop trying to convince other people to watch things because they may be like GB West or some people in this thread and actually be repulsed by your enthusiasm because they're weirdos.

people are also sharing clips from interdimensional cable 2 which was absolute garbage

there are parts of that episode that made me embarrassed to watch it. and i love the show.

I feel like I've misrepresented R&M to you guys with that link, sorry! I picked a random and stupid scene which is not a good advertisement for the show at all.

people are also sharing clips from interdimensional cable 2 which was absolute garbage

there are parts of that episode that made me embarrassed to watch it. and i love the show.

I only posted that clip because I know how much Dan likes dick jokes. I wasn't being critical of Dan's humor, so I didn't expect people to go all clinical and try to dissect why something wasn't funny to them.

EDIT: wait are we doing a Dan thing now?

There's a really great anime called Giant Bomb that everyone should watch.

Meh, I find the humor pretty one note. It's nothing but wrestling references. Also the blatant fanservice with Drew's pants shots are pretty off putting. The MGSV arc is also kinda dragging on. Starting to feel like filler content before we get the Dark Jeff arc. Plus I hear Jason's getting a baby and we all know how shows go when you introduce a baby into the cast.

Patrick's Revenge story arc was pretty good though. Really clever way to reintroduce an old character for a few episodes without feeling contrived.

I hear we're gonna get five more Mario Party story arcs though...which is like...wow you know the writers are struggling.

Patrick's Revenge story arc was pretty good though. Really clever way to reintroduce an old character for a few episodes without feeling contrived.

I hear we're gonna get five more Mario Party story arcs though...which is like...wow you know the writers are struggling.

I can't wait for the next Demo Derby Special. I mean, I know they only do them every once in a while, but they're really good

I can't wait for the next Demo Derby Special. I mean, I know they only do them every once in a while, but they're really good

I love the special Demo Derby episodes where they go to the beach. I mean, I know I said I didn't like the blatant Drew fanservice, but that's within the main show where it's trying to be serious. But beach episodes are supposed to be fanservice, so I didn't mind as much. And when they introduced Jeff into them, hooo boy it had me sweatin.

Just finished the first episode from Tales From the Borderlands. Lots of fun and I'm really liking the characters so far. Definitely gonna keep going with it.

Yeah I started playing it last night, got a bit into the second episode. Seems really good, I'll probably end up finishing it this weekend. Some Telltale jank in the animations and such but that's expected.

Catching up to Beastcast and I really missed Alex. Glad he's back. Great stories about his Japan trip.

Kagaya sounds awesome.

BUT HE HAS TO LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT THE VOCAL CORD PARASITES

B'LAGAANA

My suggestion has always been that at home he would play the side ops to level up as well as dive in the tapes. When he comes for recording in the studio to play the main missions, you guys would do a little debriefing on what he did as well as his thoughts on what he listened to then you guys could get on with doing the main missions.

Jason had his kid and named him after Griffin McElroy!

https://twitter.com/unastrike/status/657341539148890112

Congrats Jason and Lisa!!

Gbxx90A.gif

Going by the reviews, it only gets better from there. I honestly went in thinking it would suck because it sounded like a terrible idea even though I loved the Borderland games. Boy, was I wrong. I was stunned when I finished the first episode, felt like an Edger Wright joint. After finishing the first episode I just vowed to wait till the rest release so I play them all in one go without waiting.

Very enjoyable and well written with some fantastic editing when it comes to the cutscenes.

Man, I've seen enough of Halo 5 at this point to know that it's not the Halo I used to love. If you hadn't told me it was 5 I'd think it was 4.

I don't know, I watched GB play the first 3 missions and it looked amazing. It looked like a faster and smoother playing Halo with more mobility when it comes to Master Chief/Locke. Some of the squad stuff is interesting but we'll see, I want to see how it will play out in Legendary which leads me thinking that if you were to play with 3 other players, would each character have their own ability? that would be really cool if so.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's the thing though isn't it? Isn't there a divide between people who prefer halo's slower style vs cod's faster pace?

I don't know, I watched GB play the first 3 missions and it looked amazing. It looked like a faster and smoother playing Halo with more mobility when it comes to Master Chief/Locke. Some of the squad stuff is interesting but we'll see, I want to see how it will play out in Legendary which leads me thinking that if you were to play with 3 other players, would each character have their own ability? that would be really cool if so.

Campaign looked fine, but all of that stuff is a drag on the multiplayer.

Edit: yeah, wippy nailed it. I peaked at Halo 3, so I really liked the slower TTK and the more strategic pacing of the competitive playlist. Why play Halo trying to be CoD when I can just...yknow, play CoD? They got greedy going after the call of duty playerbase and we saw what that lead to. That ever-so-famous graph of Halo 4's playerbase dropping like a stock on black tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom