• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good news for the LiS fans, right? They're committing to play more of it.

I want them to play Phantasmagoria 2, but not if they're not going to finish it.

Today is one of those Bad Anxiety Days where watching Giant Bomb videos is the only cure.

I think I'mma watch that SimGolf video because that game is the best.

Lunar FC

Cool, they're considering making Choose Our Own adventure a one off thing so they won't end up playing the same game for weeks.

I like the fact of playing the same game to completion, but I can see peoples distaste if they aren't into what they were playing. It's a tough problem to solve unless you do more live shows a week.

That guy from Back to School? I don't believe he ever did anything with WWE.

9TPkjPY.gif

Watching the Guitar Hero Live QL. I actually think I'd dig this a lot more than Rock Band 4. Mainly cause I think this feels 'safer' to play alone since I did at some point go through that 'crazy high score' phase that they mentioned in the QL. I also just like the way it looks. Looks so 'clean' and 'modern' I guess. The Live stuff looks so silly, but I'm glad they put effort into this madness.

Didn't watch the whole thing yet, but I wonder if they mention the subscription based DLC model they're using for the game. Like what Spotify or Google Play Music uses. I honestly dig that model a lot more than the insane mess Rock Band 4's DLC is right now.

Lunar FC

Man idk what it is but some videos on GB have been running terrible for me lately. Guitar Hero QL runs at about .2 fps when in fill browser mode. Frustrating.

def sim

I kinda want to check out Guitar Hero.

Anyway, Jeff and Brad's reaction towards Dan's dislike of Weezer was hilarious. Straight up, "no, wait a second, you're fucking terrible."

Didn't watch the whole thing yet, but I wonder if they mention the subscription based DLC model they're using for the game. Like what Spotify or Google Play Music uses. I honestly dig that model a lot more than the insane mess Rock Band 4's DLC is right now.

I haven't paid too much attention to it but is there something else than the 24 hour pass available? 'cause calling a $180 per month subscription "like Spotify or Google Play Music" is just silly.

I haven't paid too much attention to it but is there something else than the 24 hour pass available? 'cause calling a $180 per month subscription "like Spotify or Google Play Music" is just silly.

Okay so apparently I misheard it. It's supposed to be something similar to how fighter tokens or whatever will work in Street Fighter 5. You play the 'streamed' songs from the 'TV' section of GH Live, and you earn coins that you can use to unlock tracks or whatever. I think that's how it works? it looks like it functions sort of like a karaoke thing, or a jukebox where you spend a certain amount of 'plays'. God this is so weird. I got to the part where they cover this stuff in the QL and... Wow this is so weird, but makes sense?

It looks like you don't download anything though. It's all streamed.

It's weird to hear them more enthusiastic for Guitar Hero than Rock Band 4 considering their history with HMX.

Seems like neither of the games are that great, but they're giving GH some credit for attempting to branch out and try some new stuff. From watching some streams RB looks exactly the same.

RB4 is just so incredibly uninteresting. I couldn't care less about these game anymore, but at least it seems GH tried something different.

RB4 isn't just uninteresting, they took out the interesting parts of Rock Band 3. That really blows my mind. I can kind of understand not including pro guitar since there might not have been a ton of people who really used it, even if it's a major bummer for me, but not including keyboard support is mind-blowing.

I really like the way Guitar Hero is handling the music in their game outside of the offline bits.

I would never really pay for DLC but now I can play stuff out of curiosity or even just have fun joining the channels and experiencing music I like and new stuff.

I like that they've split the streaming service into genres of music too.

Rock Band 4 is missing half of the features(including things as basic as UI improvements) from 3 and a lot of the DLC still doesn't work. Feels like it was released way too early.

Fun for someone who hasn't played a game in the genre seriously since 2 though.

Lelcar

GH Live seems interesting. I kinda want to play it. I don't know if I want to spend $99 (amazon) though. I'll think about it.

GH Live seems interesting. I kinda want to play it. I don't know if I want to spend $99 (amazon) though. I'll think about it.

Yeah both GH Live and RB4 are in the "Well I'll wait and see how low if it goes lower on Christmas/Boxing Day" sort of thing. Knowing the state of CAD though it'll probably go nowhere. GH Live has impressed me the most so far though. Like, the GH Live QL actually sold me on the game. It's exactly what I want out of a rhythm game right now.

I'm more interested to see where RB4 is in a year, since they're building the whole thing as a 'platform' now.

RB4 isn't just uninteresting, they took out the interesting parts of Rock Band 3. That really blows my mind. I can kind of understand not including pro guitar since there might not have been a ton of people who really used it, even if it's a major bummer for me, but not including keyboard support is mind-blowing.

You have to put in mind that RB4 is a platform. Meaning it's a game that they will keep supporting and adding features on through out this whole generation. What makes RB4 worth it is of course cross platform DLC and the insane amount of songs in the store which is something like 1600+, that's about it. It's clearly a game worth getting later on unless you miss playing these kinds of games like I did. Last new rhythm game I played was RB: Blitz when it came out and that was fantastic.

Edit: Also, there is an option to play your old guitars.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Maybe my favourite part of the GH Live thing is just trying to look at one dude in the crowd and seeing what he does. There are some amazing actors in there I tell you.

Yeah both GH Live and RB4 are in the "Well I'll wait and see how low if it goes lower on Christmas/Boxing Day" sort of thing. Knowing the state of CAD though it'll probably go nowhere. GH Live has impressed me the most so far though. Like, the GH Live QL actually sold me on the game. It's exactly what I want out of a rhythm game right now.

I'm more interested to see where RB4 is in a year, since they're building the whole thing as a 'platform' now.

That's the thing though. If they wanted to jumpstart a platform in a genre that was essentially dead, they would need to have something significantly new or at least have all the options of the previous game even if they don't plan on adding new songs that support pro guitar and/or keys. It's also kind of crazy that they don't have any sort of streaming service to avoid the hurdle of people like me who switched platforms between generations and don't want to re-buy hundreds of dollars worth of DLC.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I bought GH Live today and kiiiind of regret it? It's not like, super bad or anything. but maaaan the new guitar takes so much retraining. Everything, really, from my ability to sightread and just parse the charts to doing the movements required. If you're used to playing most songs on Expert get ready to bump it down to Advanced at least, or play on Expert and hit like 80% of the notes. It's rough. I like that there's no failing though, and the GH Live stuff is actually neat. I like that model.

What I don't like: no practice mode, huge bummer. I have to basically spend tokens to play the songs I want (these are finite, buy more with fake money or real money) to practice them, or just play random songs on GH Live (or the on-disc songs but nahhh). Also the guitar is lackluster in terms of build quality, and because the buttons are somewhat deep it's actually difficult to switch between chords. My fingers hurt almost as much as if I had been playing a real guitar.

edit: caught a bit of the QL, the skill ceiling talk is madness. This is WAY harder than anything they could've done with the old 5-button guitars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom