• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought GH Live today and kiiiind of regret it? It's not like, super bad or anything. but maaaan the new guitar takes so much retraining. Everything, really, from my ability to sightread and just parse the charts to doing the movements required. If you're used to playing most songs on Expert get ready to bump it down to Advanced at least, or play on Expert and hit like 80% of the notes. It's rough. I like that there's no failing though, and the GH Live stuff is actually neat. I like that model.

What I don't like: no practice mode, huge bummer. I have to basically spend tokens to play the songs I want (these are finite, buy more with fake money or real money) to practice them, or just play random songs on GH Live (or the on-disc songs but nahhh). Also the guitar is lackluster in terms of build quality, and because the buttons are somewhat deep it's actually difficult to switch between chords. My fingers hurt almost as much as if I had been playing a real guitar.

Yeah I would honestly like a hybrid of the RB and GHL models. I'd like to be able to buy songs permanently if I really like them, though I wonder if the cost of licensing songs for both streaming and purchasing would make that infeasible.

Lelcar

Tip for Canadians: Don't buy from amazon.ca, buy from amazon.com. Even though it's technically international it's still way cheaper than what you're going to get on the Canadian site, and the selection is better too. The only thing is, you kinda have to buy directly from the amazon warehouse, because a lot of smaller distributors won't deliver internationally. But at any rate, the US/CAD conversion with shipping ends up being much less than the insane standard prices they're charging over at .ca

Giant Bomb Ventures into Sword Coast Legends
VIDEO ON OCT 24, 2015 06:00 AM

Quick Look: Human Resource Machine
VIDEO ON OCT 26, 2015 06:00 AM

Quick Look: Fatal Frame: Maiden of Blackwater
VIDEO ON OCT 27, 2015 06:00 AM

I'm kind of hoping UPF is better than usual because they'll have had to actually think about what they're going to play.

Either that or it's a complete shitshow and still enjoyable.

I'm kind of hoping UPF is better than usual because they'll have had to actually think about what they're going to play.

Either that or it's a complete shitshow and still enjoyable.

They always have to think what they want to play. When Jeff and Dan did the periscope of setting up the stream, there was a piece of paper with the games everyone was bringing from the previous week. Chances are Drew and Jason need a heads up on what they'll be playing on so they can get it set up beforehand.

They always have to think what they want to play. When Jeff and Dan did the periscope of setting up the stream, there was a piece of paper with the games everyone was bringing from the previous week. Chances are Drew and Jason need a heads up on what they'll be playing on so they can get it set up beforehand.

I've seen Dan in this thread on the day asking for ideas.

repeater

No matter how impressive the technology behind it is, the FMV in Guitar Hero just looks stupidly 90s. I'm getting flashbacks to that Aerosmith game!

Patryn

Dammit. The managed livestream page has already shifted to UPF.

I was hoping to get a chance to catch VinnyVania. Guess I'll just wait until tomorrow for them to put it up.

I bought GH Live today and kiiiind of regret it? It's not like, super bad or anything. but maaaan the new guitar takes so much retraining. Everything, really, from my ability to sightread and just parse the charts to doing the movements required. If you're used to playing most songs on Expert get ready to bump it down to Advanced at least, or play on Expert and hit like 80% of the notes. It's rough. I like that there's no failing though, and the GH Live stuff is actually neat. I like that model.

What I don't like: no practice mode, huge bummer. I have to basically spend tokens to play the songs I want (these are finite, buy more with fake money or real money) to practice them, or just play random songs on GH Live (or the on-disc songs but nahhh). Also the guitar is lackluster in terms of build quality, and because the buttons are somewhat deep it's actually difficult to switch between chords. My fingers hurt almost as much as if I had been playing a real guitar.

edit: caught a bit of the QL, the skill ceiling talk is madness. This is WAY harder than anything they could've done with the old 5-button guitars.
I'm really enjoying it but I'm definitely having a rough time adjusting to the new layout.

Interesting

Yeah. He's also on the current episode of Kinda Funny's Gamescast. I wonder if he's making the rounds because of Halo 5 and the upcoming Holiday season or if he's doing PR for the announcement that they will no longer share information about XB1 shipments numbers, but will instead reveal XBL data. Maybe a bit of both?

What's fun about these music games is that some songs actually have interesting music parts even if you don't like the actual band. I don't listen to Paramore at all but the drumming in those songs is some of the most fun I've had drumming.

Kimaka

Giant Bomb Ventures into Sword Coast Legends
VIDEO ON OCT 24, 2015 06:00 AM

Quick Look: Human Resource Machine
VIDEO ON OCT 26, 2015 06:00 AM

Quick Look: Fatal Frame: Maiden of Blackwater
VIDEO ON OCT 27, 2015 06:00 AM

Finally. I've been waiting for it since they mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom