• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
86fzN0i.gif

Please help me I'm screaming https://twitter.com/GB_Oni/status/658626698192277506

Why did I go into Giant Bomb comments

why

you dun goofed

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
there should be a button prompt that makes Snake tell her to cut it out

also I punch out of any argument when someone says ", sir,..."

The "sir" and the "we get it" drives me nuts. Also the "clever" reverse psychology trying to paint me as some sexual regressive in this argument. All top notch internet argumentation 101.

I keep forgetting sonic lost world pc is a thing

Out of every sega game people want on pc

We get sonic

maybe if they put a Sonic skin in Bayonetta or Vanquish, then finally...

The "sir" and the "we get it" drives me nuts. Also the "clever" reverse psychology trying to paint me as some sexual regressive in this argument. All top notch internet argumentation 101.

$5 says there was a fedora within visual distance of that person while posting

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think you can tell what kind of person he is by the 1000000% unnecessary spoiler he dropped in his comment.

Edit: I mean, if you couldn't already tell by the content of what he's saying.

That argument would only really work if it wasn't created entirely based on the sexual pervasions of a man.

right, if the character was an actual sentient human woman, and not the figment of a known perv's fantasies

listen, when I think something is maybe a little too far over that line, it's telling

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like whatever though. I consume a lot of media that deals with sexual subjects and pervasions of all kinds. Both objectified and empowered. I'm certainly not going to tell people that they shouldn't enjoy what they enjoy.

But I also don't pretend that what I consume is free of criticism, and in fact I enjoy consuming it because it is full of things to criticise. If anything I'd like to see more varied explorations of sexuality in all forms of media. Quiet is just a pretty shallow showpiece though, where it seems like the sexual aspect is entirely for the audience's benefit instead of being explored in any interesting way.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Like whatever though. I consume a lot of media that deals with sexual subjects and pervasions of all kinds. Both objectified and empowered. I'm certainly not going to tell people that they shouldn't enjoy what they enjoy.

But I also don't pretend that what I consume is free of criticism, and in fact I enjoy consuming it because it is full of things to criticise. If anything I'd like to see more varied explorations of sexuality in all forms of media. Quiet is just a pretty shallow showpiece though, where it seems like the sexual aspect is entirely for the audience's benefit instead of being explore in any interesting way.

Bingo. If you only consume/enjoy media that is ENTIRELY free of problems you're basically never going to watch any shows or play any games. Also it's all subjective obviously.

Like I'd potentially be into Quiet if there was actually something meaningful between her and Boss, but there isn't. Also it's fucked up that she's into him (I guess??) when she's basically his prisoner, and that is never explored. Hell, Boss and Quiet could christen every deck on Mother Base, if you're gonna go for sexy, go all the way. They're adults. But Quiet's not there for the benefit of the story or the characters, she's just there for titillation. It's okay to like sexy things. I'd be lying if I said I never looked at Quiet. But it serves no benefit for the story whatsoever, there's nothing more to it than titillation. But the game plays like there is, except the relationship between Boss and Quiet isn't really developed at all except in her very last mission. They could've fucked on every platform on Mother Base and I'd have been alright with it, because at least that's honest.

But I also don't pretend that what I consume is free of criticism, and in fact I enjoy consuming it because it is full of things to criticise. If anything I'd like to see more varied explorations of sexuality in all forms of media. Quiet is just a pretty shallow showpiece though, where it seems like the sexual aspect is entirely for the audience's benefit instead of being explored in any interesting way.

it has everything to do with the fact that she's incongruous with the setting. I don't care that it's dumb and pointless and pervy, I care that it's those things in a situation where it doesn't make any sense, no matter how hard people try to defend it.

in my book, Naomi and the B&B stuff gets a pass because they exist in the context of a game that is batshit from all angles. if Quiet was in that game, it wouldn't be that weird. V is not 4.

LiK

Bingo. If you only consume/enjoy media that is ENTIRELY free of problems you're basically never going to watch any shows or play any games. Also it's all subjective obviously.

Like I'd potentially be into Quiet if there was actually something meaningful between her and Boss, but there isn't. Also it's fucked up that she's into him (I guess??) when she's basically his prisoner, and that is never explored. Hell, Boss and Quiet could christen every deck on Mother Base, if you're gonna go for sexy, go all the way. They're adults. But Quiet's not there for the benefit of the story or the characters, she's just there for titillation. It's okay to like sexy things. I'd be lying if I said I never looked at Quiet. But it serves no benefit for the story whatsoever, there's nothing more to it than titillation. But the game plays like there is, except the relationship between Boss and Quiet isn't really developed at all except in her very last mission. They could've fucked on every platform on Mother Base and I'd have been alright with it, because at least that's honest.

Chapter 2 felt unfinished because there's so much stuff that isn't as fleshed out as Chapter 1. there seemed to be more they could've done but couldn't. You know Kojima likes to be super thorough from previous games.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
it has everything to do with the fact that she's incongruous with the setting. I don't care that it's dumb and pointless and pervy, I care that it's those things in a situation where it doesn't make any sense, no matter how hard people try to defend it.

in my book, Naomi and the B&B stuff gets a pass because they exist in the context of a game that is batshit from all angles. if Quiet was in that game, it wouldn't be that weird. V is not 4.

I think the B&B stuff is just as bad as Quiet, at the very least. Maybe worse. They REALLY serve absolutely zero purpose in the story. MGS4 actually goes out of its way to undermine every single female character, just about. Naomi's outfit, the creepy stuff with Mei Ling on the ship, it's all pervy.

Patryn

The amount of gore and brutality really doesn't fit the fantasy setting of the game. Dismembering people in the game is so.....offputting.

Like in MGS:Revengeance it makes sense, that's what they're going for. In Witcher 3 however it's like, 'Hey here's this fantasy game, where you can use magic and card battles. By the way, you can cut people in half.'

I disliked it in Skyrim too, it's just too....brutal.

Wait until Fallout 4. Body parts will be flying everywhere.

Then again, that's all part and parcel of its satiric tone.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Uhm sorry but have you played the game? There is a super important reason why Quiet dresses the way she does, so Kojima was forced to make her look like that. There just was no other way to tell her story, she needed to be dressed like that. You should all be ashamed of your words and deeds. Geez, he probably hates that she has to look like this, but what was he supposed to do? She is
a plant so she OBVIOUSLY needs the sun, DUH!
Y'all should pay more attention in biology class next time!

Jintor

fistbump whippy

Jintor

imho B&B are worse than quiet but kojima didn't quite have the tech at the time to be as pervy. (Interesting how his camera discipline has changed between MGS4 and V actually; I think MGS4's cutscenes are comparatively even more awkward)

this QL is giving me a headache

e: the weird thing is, I don't think I'd have that much trouble actually solving a lot of these puzzles but looking at it myself while two other people are thinking out loud about how to solve it is collapsing my brain

this QL is giving me a headache

Yeah, it seemed confusing to me at the beginning but once Vinny talked about how it's structurally similar to when you're writing a program, it made sense especially since I have a background in programming with Java. However, it still looks kind of confusing. I'll need to try it out which I'm sure by then would make alot of sense.

imho B&B are worse than quiet but kojima didn't quite have the tech at the time to be as pervy. (Interesting how his camera discipline has changed between MGS4 and V actually; I think MGS4's cutscenes are comparatively even more awkward)

It doesn't defend it but at the very least, he didn't come out and say we'd regret our words and deeds. He was very forthcoming with his perviness there. It's not any better but it's less annoying.

So I just listened to the Steam Controller segment of the Beastcast. Vinny is right about the controller taking a while to get used to, but it takes a couple of days, not months as he implied. Now that I am fully used to it, I will never go back to a traditional dual analog controller. The steam controller is just superior in every way. I hope Vinny sticks with it.

I never thought I would be super positive on gyro functionality in 2015, but it is a killer feature of the controller. Having it only activate while holding a certain button (left trigger in my case with MGSV) is totally critical to making gyro controls viable.

Sounds like people's campaign opinions may hinge on how important they find the story. I get the sense the story is so-so, but the gameplay is good.

Seems like a trend.

From Jeff's review
It even tells a pretty decent story along the way.
Granted, Jeff is no Halo expert, but neither am I. A decent story is good enough for me as I barely pay attention to the Halo story.

Patryn

From Jeff's review Granted, Jeff is no Halo expert, but neither am I. A decent story is good enough for me as I barely pay attention to the Halo story.

I was just taking stock of the Review thread. I'm seeing the story as fairly divisive, and one of the more commonly criticized elements.

Even Jeff says that the Locke portions are boring.

They said they're putting the game aside for a while after they finish episode 2.

Oh. When did they say that?

Didn't they also say they might just move it to its own stream and separate it from the current stream? That doesn't necessarily mean put it aside. It'd be cool to see a weekly stream that switches between Vinnyvania and Life is Strange.

Aaron Greenberg has a crazy laugh.

kAmui-

Not being able to type the labels with your keyboard is such a bummer :/ Still looks pretty cool and I'll probably end up getting this at some point. Haven't finished the QL yet but I hope the problems get a lot more complicated and there are multiple solutions to them. I'd probably end up brute forcing the problems on the first try but then I'd like to try and optimize my solutions.

Didn't they also say they might just move it to its own stream and separate it from the current stream? That doesn't necessarily mean put it aside. It'd be cool to see a weekly stream that switches between Vinnyvania and Life is Strange.
They said they would put it aside for a while and "possibly move it to its own stream". So, we'll see I guess.

Guys I forgot my headphones. How do I kill time at work?

I have forgotten mine a couple of times, it's the worst. How am I supposed to pretend to do work without my sweet-ass ASMR videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom