• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found rad glasses
70F3D20F3892D58D7E9AA88C52A6265546EDA219

That's one thing I wish TW3 did better. The few elemental effects that are there are pretty cool, but man, they do a bad job explaining that those weapons even exist until you just happen across one. There are also only like four that I can think of. Fire, frost, poison, bleed?

I would have loved more unique aspects to the swords. Like some magic shit that screams when you kill a person. Basically take inspiration from unique weapons in the Borderlands games is what I'm saying.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You want to talk about downgradeatons
ctw0Xwg.jpg

The concept art for the Witcher 3's armor sets compared to what they look like in-game. What were they thinking?

Witcher 3 has insane armor variety, everything from extravagant robes and ranger gear to heavy armor that makes you into a walking tank. Crazy.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Watched Danny's old The Point on Watch Dogs open world and I definitely feel him on the line about 'The game lays out everything on the map so we know that there's nothing interesting inbetween those worlds because they're letting us know there's nothing interesting by telling us where everything interesting is'

I've never truly wandered in an Ubisoft game like I have in a Rockstar game because there is rarely anything of note and anything that is of note can't simply be a fun easter egg, it has to be one of 8,000 collectibles.

Semi-related, I really hope Mirorr's Edge gets this right, but I'm going in cautious and doubtful

Blastoise

Banned
Maybe just listen to Ocelot give you information about the mission, maybe read the objectives in your iDroid, maybe use a silenced pistol and do a mission at night.

Why am I complaining when they won't hear? Just to suffer?

yami4ct

This riot SMG is the dumbest thing ever. It never fails to alert nearby guys.

It's not a stealth weapon. Of course it's going to alert people.

I haven't watch MGS V, but if he's relying with that, that's certainly a way to go about things. I don't personally think that it's a fun way to play, but the game certainly provides for that style. I'm just going to guess it's due to Dan's bad influence.

Riot SMG is only useful in a few missions when lethality is a non-option. It's such a liability against any kind of obstruction or armor, and takes forever to down people (temporarily). I'm not watching MGS5, but is Drew only using it because Dan recommended it near the beginning?

Tranq pistol and silenced tranq sniper rifles (the latter doesn't even need to be silenced) are vastly superior armaments. Especially when backed up with decent stealth skills and CQC.
This is a great site to see all the cool armors in The Witcher 2, the amount of detail on each set is insane.

http://vitaln.com/ehalos/witcher2/

omg. Amazing!

Never would've found this without ya. Thanks.

danm999

This riot SMG is the dumbest thing ever. It never fails to alert nearby guys.

I played with it for a mission to see what it's like and wow its loud and attracts dudes even with a suppressor it felt like.

My thinking is essentially silenced tranq pistol for anything less than 50m, silenced tranq sniper rifle for anything further away.

If the tranq pistol isn't reloading fast enough to put down dudes near you well you've made an awful mistake regardless of your weapon.

yami4ct

I played with it for a mission to see what it's like and wow its loud and attracts dudes even with a suppressor it felt like.

My thinking is essentially silenced tranq pistol for anything less than 50m, silenced tranq sniper rifle for anything further away.

If the tranq pistol isn't reloading fast enough to put down dudes near you well you've made an awful mistake regardless of your weapon.

That's 100% my style as well. If I'm caught and I've got more dudes than a tranq pistol can take out, I screwed up and it's time to book it until the alert drops a bit.

danm999

That's 100% my style as well. If I'm caught and I've got more dudes than a tranq pistol can take out, I screwed up and it's time to book it until the alert drops a bit.

Later I found a sleep grenade could get me out of a jam but yeah pretty much.

I just like the stealth and sneaking mechanics so much in the game I play using those as much as possible. I actually really disliked the parts where you're forced into open combat.

yami4ct

Am I the only one that downloads MGScanlon V and watches it at 2x speed. This is what I do when I hate watch TV shows or movies.

Don't let Jeff Cannata hear you say that.

Later I found a sleep grenade could get me out of a jam but yeah pretty much.

I just like the stealth and sneaking mechanics so much in the game I play using those as much as possible. I actually really disliked the parts where you're forced into open combat.

I'm totally with you. The action tools in MGSV are capable, but I just don't find them fun. There's a certain fight you do
alongside Quiet
near the end of the game that is totally just the worst thing.

Do the people who hate the Witcher 3's combat realize there is a side step as a well as a roll? A lot people I've seen play only know there's a roll and they never use the side step which makes everything rather tedious unless you're playing a tank build and can just take damage.

danm999

I'm totally with you. The action tools in MGSV are capable, but I just don't find them fun. There's a certain fight you do
alongside Quiet

I hated that one. Especially since some of the optional objectives are so punishing.
At least with the Skulls missions you could usually just drop D-Walker in and brute force it. That final mission with Quiet is just annoying.

Do the people who hate the Witcher 3's combat realize there is a side step as a well as a roll? A lot people I've seen play only know there's a roll and they never use the side step which makes everything rather tedious unless you're playing a tank build and can just take damage.

It's essential basically. I've been playing Unity recently and keep hitting Alt expecting it to do something and I only realized yesterday why I was doing that.

Jintor

eh, the closer witcher games have come to just straight up being real-time combat the generally better it's been, but it's still... off.

yami4ct

I hated that one. Especially since some of the optional objectives are so punishing.
At least with the Skulls missions you could usually just drop D-Walker in and brute force it. That final mission with Quiet is just annoying.

It's essential basically. I've been playing Unity recently and keep hitting Alt expecting it to do something and I only realized yesterday why I was doing that.

The worst part, there are waves and waves of enemies and one fucking checkpoint. It's terrible. Get near the end and have a helicopter missile your ass? Well, time to go back 30 minutes.

Also the community giving tips on that fight didn't help. It was a bunch of people just telling you how dumb you were for not developing rockets and other action weapons. I'm sorry the rest of the game let me play stealth and I never found the want or need to make those things.

Someone mentioned that
the parasite armor with the right injections makes you invincible. I also have to assume the fully maxed out stealth camo makes you invisible for a long ass time and you can sprint all over and fulton shit and restock as Quiet keeps calling in supplies. S ranking it sounds like the only thing that'd be super annoying.

The worst part, there are waves and waves of enemies and one fucking checkpoint. It's terrible. Get near the end and have a helicopter missile your ass? Well, time to go back 30 minutes.

Also the community giving tips on that fight didn't help. It was a bunch of people just telling you how dumb you were for not developing rockets and other action weapons. I'm sorry the rest of the game let me play stealth and I never found the want or need to make those things.
The actual worst part is
the one-shot tanks that show up right near the end.
Terrible, terrible design.

yami4ct

The actual worst part is
the one-shot tanks that show up right near the end.
Terrible, terrible design.

Yeah, it took me a few gos to figure out what was doing that. Once I did, I just started air striking them and not worrying about the hassle. Too bad trying to spot them can also get you killed like a third of the time.

Was gonna say 3 AM is a weird time for reviews to hit, but I forgot its midnight in the west coast.

Halo 5 looks cool though. Gonna pick that up and a year of Xbox Live somewhere down the line.

I really wish MS just released the old halo games on PC already. It pops up in the rumour mill enough that it has to be something they think about.

I got a lot of nostalgia for those games but not "I need to buy a Xbox One for this" nostalgia. Halo was always just the thing I played at my buddies place during school / college.

Oh and this mission Drew is playing in MGSV with the interpretor and running between camps is probably the one that gave me the most pain. Stuff either glitched out on me and the vicount got stuck in a loop or I got spotted and it went to hell. Dude is totally running and gunning it. I wonder if this works out for him.

Edit. Poorly. Its going poorly for him

Jintor

the fucking stupidest part of mission 45 is that you can't back out of it. you can go back to the main menu but you can't bug out to the acc.

why? for what reason? why doesn't it do this in any other mission in the game?
yeah i know buddy story crap but it's pretty much the only time in the entire game it chooses to do this

the further i get from mgsv the more disappointing i find it

Just remembered that the Sony Paris stream is this Tuesday. Kind of weird its not on the schedule even though I'm pretty sure they said they're gonna talk over it.

Myggen

Just remembered that the Sony Paris stream is this Tuesday. Kind of weird its not on the schedule even though I'm pretty sure they said they're gonna talk over it.

Don't assume GB puts anything on the schedule before the day before it's happening. They also probably need to test if they'll be able to do it without video guys today.

Don't assume GB puts anything on the schedule before the day before it's happening. They also probably need to test if they'll be able to do it without video guys today.

But its technically monday :p

That makes sense though. I can't imagine its too much different from a UPF and it seems like Jeff had a handle on it last week, but its not like I understand any of their streaming stuff to say otherwise.

Jothel

Yeah that last
quiet mission
was a pain in the arse. Especially because of shit like
tanks suddenly gaining sniper like abilities and shooting me through a tiny window I was hiding behind in the palace
I was so pleased when I beat it

erawsd

Don't let Jeff Cannata hear you say that.

alongside Quiet

Yeah, same here. Im not gonna get in on telling them how to play but I do find it baffling and I think it takes a lot away from what makes the gameplay in this game good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom