• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

I'm pretty sure he said that people have told him it gets way better from where he is. He still didn't care.

No point in continuing if you don't wanna play it anymore. It'll probably just make him like it less and mash through the text just to get through it and that'd be way worse than stopping.

I hope other people who completed it just spoils the whole damn story for him in GOTY discussions. he won't be going back anyway. he better not be all shy about spoilers when they talk about it. he's also missing out on all those very cool sidequests.

erawsd

I wonder if he's burnt out, bored or more aware of the flaws of MGSV now that he has to watch Drew play it again, especially since Drew plays super rough.

I doubt it. I watched a little bit of his Syndicate stream and hes still judging everything compared to MGSV.

I hope other people who completed it just spoils the whole damn story for him in GOTY discussions. he won't be going back anyway. he better not be all shy about spoilers when they talk about it. he's also missing out on all those very cool sidequests.

Unless you're invested in the Witcher's world and characters there's nothing noteworthy about the main story. Also, I dont think there'll be "other people" to spoil it lol

Not being able to type the labels with your keyboard is such a bummer :/ Still looks pretty cool and I'll probably end up getting this at some point. Haven't finished the QL yet but I hope the problems get a lot more complicated and there are multiple solutions to them. I'd probably end up brute forcing the problems on the first try but then I'd like to try and optimize my solutions.

I'm probably 85% through and the later levels are more difficult and definitely have more solution possibilities -- my early solves either hit the optimization goals or were barely above, but a few of my later levels haven't been particularly close. Then again, though, I have absolutely no programming experience, so this is all new to me. I'm really enjoying it.

Xater

Man they have some super clever stuff when it comes to the side quests. One of my personal favorites was the one with the village that sacrificed all their food to this "god".

Regarding MGSV, personally the farther removed I am the less I think that will be my GOTY. Design faults and story just weight in to much for me. Plus the post release shenanigans from Konami. Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity and Bloodborne are definitely my personal top contenders so far.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Nobody completed it though

The other people who finished it?

I don't think anyone else even likes it or has played it lol. Well I know Vinny and Jeff want to get to it, though its hard to see when either will be able to before GOTY discussions. Especially when they had all summer to play it, but the game didn't grab any of them enough for them to keep going with it between them disliking the gameplay aspects and the constant waits for a new patch.

LiK

Man they have some super clever stuff when it comes to the side quests. One of my personal favorites was the one with the village that sacrificed all their food to this "god".

haha, that was a good one.

Nobody completed it though

I think one of them did. I forget who. that's all I need.

The other people who finished it?

I don't think anyone else even likes it or has played it lol. Well I know Vinny and Jeff want to get to it, though its hard to see when either will be able to before GOTY discussions. Especially when they had all summer to play it, but the game didn't grab any of them enough for them to keep going with it between them disliking the gameplay aspects and the constant waits for a new patch.

wrong, all the guys loved it (sans Jeff). most didn't finish it and were mainly complaining about the technical issues and inventory stuff prepatch.

hamchan

What does MGScanlon have to do with him not wanting to play the Witcher anymore? I'm not seeing the connection.

We're talking about him being burnt out because of how long he's played the Witcher. Watching someone else play a game is essentially adding hours to how long you've experienced a game. I'm getting a little bit bored, burnt out on Metal Gear Scanlon and I think that's partly because I played so much of the game only a month ago. I feel like I could not see that game ever again and I would be fine. I'm wondering if Dan is experiencing the same thing.
Clear?

Patryn

I think one of them did. I forget who. that's all I need.

Let's see:

Jeff - Didn't like it from the start, clearly on record as not finishing it (Bombcast)
Brad - On record as not finishing it (Bombcast)
Drew - Didn't play it (Assumption)
Rorie - On record as not liking Witcher and not having played it (Bombcast)
Vinny - On record as not having finished it (Beastcast)
Alex - On record as not having played it (Beastcast)
Austin - On record as not having finished it (Beastcast)

That leaves only Jason, and as I recall he's on record as having stopped in the middle as well.

Just listen to the latest Bombcast and Beastcast and it's clear that nobody has finished it (or come close).

I still can't believe Dan is gonna give up on Witcher 3 cuz of that one story mission quest. it's really not that long and it gets way better. just go Easy and enjoy the story.

It's not like he needs to finish the game to get a firm opinion on the game or have gotten some satisfaction out of it. Hell, the fact that he likes MGSV so much shows that he doesn't need a complete experience to appreciate something.

It's still kind of insane to me that come GOTY time, there probably won't be a single staff member who finished Witcher 3 or who will go to bat for it come discussion time. I mean yeah, individual opinions and all, but it's just bizarre to see such a widely-acclaimed game that will likely win tons of awards not get finished by even one duder.

Red UFO

Speaking as a programmer, Human Resource Machine seemed cool but then they introduced variables and pointers it became seriously impressive.
bountyrune.gif

LiK

Let's see:

Jeff - Didn't like it from the start, clearly on record as not finishing it (Bombcast)
Brad - On record as not finishing it (Bombcast)
Drew - Didn't play it (Assumption)
Rorie - On record as not liking Witcher and not having played it (Bombcast)
Vinny - On record as not having finished it (Beastcast)
Alex - On record as not having played it (Beastcast)
Austin - On record as not having finished it (Beastcast)

That leaves only Jason, and as I recall he's on record as having stopped in the middle as well.

oof, that's horrible. guess it won't even make top ten.
It's not like he needs to finish the game to get a firm opinion on the game or have gotten some satisfaction out of it. Hell, the fact that he likes MGSV so much shows that he doesn't need a complete experience to appreciate something.

HAHA, nice

Patryn

It's still kind of insane to me that come GOTY time, there probably won't be a single staff member who finished Witcher 3 or who will go to bat for it come discussion time. I mean yeah, individual opinions and all, but it's just bizarre to see such a widely-acclaimed game that will likely win tons of awards not get finished by even one duder.

I've mentioned this before in this thread, but there's a weird disconnect between the audience of GB and the duders of GB.

The audience tends to be much more fans of RPGs than the staff. GB likes Bethesda stuff, but very little beyond that.

oof, that's horrible. guess it won't even make top ten.

I still really think it'll make Top 10. It just doesn't have a chance in hell to take GOTY.

I peg it falling somewhere between slots 4-8.

hamchan

I'm trying to remember what they did actually play during the Summer because I think basically nothing came out for like a month or two.

LiK

I've mentioned this before in this thread, but there's a weird disconnect between the audience of GB and the duders of GB.

The audience tends to be much more fans of RPGs than the staff. GB likes Bethesda stuff, but very little beyond that.

I still really think it'll make Top 10. It just doesn't have a chance in hell to take GOTY.

I peg it falling somewhere between slots 4-8.

I think Rorie was the RPG guy but he doesn't seem like he had a lot of time for games. the only major RPG he beat this year was Pillars, iirc.

and yea, I agree that TW3 was never getting top spot. MGSV will def win.

Patryn

I think Rorie was the RPG guy but he doesn't seem like he had a lot of time for games. the only major RPG he beat this year was Pillars, iirc.

and yea, I agree that TW3 was never getting top spot. MGSV will def win.

He hasn't beaten Pillars. Mentions that fact on the last Bombcast, same one as when he talks about how he really doesn't like the Witcher series.

We're talking about him being burnt out because of how long he's played the Witcher. Watching someone else play a game is essentially adding hours to how long you've experienced a game. I'm getting a little bit bored, burnt out on Metal Gear Scanlon and I think that's partly because I played so much of the game only a month ago. I feel like I could not see that game ever again and I would be fine. I'm wondering if Dan is experiencing the same thing.
Clear?

Not really honestly. You'd think after watching so much MGSV between playing it and watching Drew play it, W3 would be a very different change of pace considering how narrative heavy it is in comparison and it being an Action RPG compared to MGSV's 3rd person action/stealth mechanics. I mean its not like the 100+ hours of playing/seeing MGSV stopped him from spending dozens of hours with Destiny right after, which to some shares the same strengths and weaknesses.

On the bombcast he said one of the reasons he stopped playing TW3 was because of how lacking it felt mechanically compared to MGSV in terms of control and MGSV's constant introduction of new mechanics, which was what made it hard to go back to W3 and ultimately it couldn't keep his attention.

wrong, all the guys loved it (sans Jeff). most didn't finish it and were mainly complaining about the technical issues and inventory stuff prepatch.

I probably misheard wrong then (or made that up in my head), my bad.

LiK

He hasn't beaten Pillars. Mentions that fact on the last Bombcast, same one as when he talks about how he really doesn't like the Witcher series.

wait,. really? I thought he said he beat it in another Bombcast or UPF. man, guess he didn't beat any games this year.

erawsd

It wont be the first (or last) time. GTAV and Mario 3D World got were thrown out of the top ten just a couple years ago.

LiK

I hope Mario Maker wins because of the content Giant Bomb have gotten out of it. MGScanlon V as a feature is showing just how bad the game is.

MGSV and MM will be the ones where they debate who should be up on top. not gonna lie, kinda want a Nintendo game to win top spot on GB. that'll be a first.

Patryn

Wonder if Dave likes The Witcher 3. If so, he needs to crash GOTY discussions and force it onto the list.

From what I recall from Dave's tweeting, I think he'd be more likely to try to push Pillars of Eternity than Witcher 3.

I know he tweeted a bunch of positive stuff about Pillars, but I don't recall anything for Witcher.

Patryn

MGSV and MM will be the ones where they debate who should be up on top. not gonna lie, kinda want a Nintendo game to win top spot on GB. that'll be a first.

I really am starting to think it's turned to a 50/50 thing. Their experiences with the full cycle of course creation has really upped their love for that game, and they liked it a crazy amount right from the start.

The average Gaffer probably plays more hours of video games than the GB Crew tbh.

it takes a surprising amount of time to concept, produce, and finalize content around a thing. usually more time than the thing itself requires to consume.

so you're probably right, and that's okay.

I really am starting to think it's turned to a 50/50 thing. Their experiences with the full cycle of course creation has really upped their love for that game, and they liked it a crazy amount right from the start.
And MGSV hasn't exactly helped itself with the post release stuff.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Witcher 3 is easily my GOTY but I can see why the guys all fell off half way through, main story is probably an entire act too long and the gameplay doesn't really change much or introduce anything new once you unlock the second tier of signs. If you're playing stuff at least partially to talk about it afterwards, you're kinda out of luck with the witcher because the story is probably 90% of the experience and you can't tell anyone about it without spoiling it for them.

Having said that, if you've got a month to eat, sleep and dream a game, Witcher 3 is for you.

Patryn

And MGSV hasn't exactly helped itself with the post release stuff.

I think that stuff isn't going to hurt MSGV as much as the audience would want it to. The crew tends to focus on their own personal experiences as opposed to a more holistic view.

Their experiences were overwhelmingly positive. The problem is that high is starting to fade, while MM continues to burn bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom