• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

the fucking stupidest part of mission 45 is that you can't back out of it. you can go back to the main menu but you can't bug out to the acc.

why? for what reason? why doesn't it do this in any other mission in the game?
yeah i know buddy story crap but it's pretty much the only time in the entire game it chooses to do this

the further i get from mgsv the more disappointing i find it

Yeah like the
Metallic Archaea mission and the final fight with Sahelanthropus it has no problem letting you bug out, it's weird.

Toparaman

Banned
MGSV is like being served a delicious meal (the gameplay), with the cook (Kojima) also promising a delicious dessert (the story). But the dessert actually tastes horrible, and you wonder how the same cook who made your delicious meal could also make such a horrible dessert.

It's still my pick for GOTY currently, and it will be interesting to see more and more details come out about the game's development as time goes by.

Haunted

the fucking stupidest part of mission 45 is that you can't back out of it. you can go back to the main menu but you can't bug out to the acc.

why? for what reason? why doesn't it do this in any other mission in the game?
yeah i know buddy story crap but it's pretty much the only time in the entire game it chooses to do this

the further i get from mgsv the more disappointing i find it
Filtering out immediate, emotional reactions from people after finishing the game - ranging from "omg kojima da god genius" to "what a shit pointless ending i hate this game" - I had the feeling that the longer people had been away from the game and were actually able to analyse it more objectively with a critical (as in explicative, not negative) mindset, the worse the general consensus got in the main and spoiler OTs.

Of course, Konami's bold patch strategy of doubling down on the F2P shit and threat generation hooks which ended up making the game worse as time went on didn't help matters.

That said, it's also important to recognise the things it did right even when explaining the game's many faults and problematic issues. No one is served by praising or condemning the game mindlessly.

Jothel

See, that's what I mean, that openness is a core strength of MGSV. That people can play without the best buddy in the game and still have fun is a testament.
I never used D-walker either - what kinda setup did you use with it? May give it a go if I ever go back to that game

292030_2015-10-26_000wzjkp.png
Every game with swords needs to copy the Witcher 3's dismemberment system.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
That's a hell of a shot

I've successfully not watched the last 3 episodes of Metal Gear Scanlon V. It's clean livin'.

D-Walker is the best buddy, he has a scout head that does what D-Dog and Quiet, he has a rolling mode that does what D-Horse, he has a Fulton Balista which does what Snake does, has dual supressed tranq pistols with a shit ton of ammo like Snake. He's the best of all worlds in a cool robot package, plus you can make the some bitch gold.

Haunted

I never used D-walker either - what kinda setup did you use with it? May give it a go if I ever go back to that game
Depends on how you want to approach it. It's got all the options, you can be quiet with tranqs and robot CQC(!), you can mow down infantry with the gatling gun or take out armoured units with missile options.

I usually went with the gatling guns and just tore shit up when I got caught.

D-Walker is the best buddy, he has a scout head that does what D-Dog and Quiet, he has a rolling mode that does what D-Horse, he has a Fulton Balista which does what Snake does, has dual supressed tranq pistols with a shit ton of ammo like Snake. He's the best of all worlds in a cool robot package, plus you can make the some bitch gold.

D Walker is all buddies

TW3 dismemberment is pretty cool though. I especially like when you don't cut them entirely in half and they're just kind of split down the middle. gruesome.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like I'm with Vinny in that I really don't need nor want that level of violence in my games anymore.

Does that mean I'm actually a Dad?

Though I'd still probably go with bloody mess in fallout 4 because it's more goofy than anything else really.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm with Vinny in that I really don't need nor want that level of violence in my games anymore.

Does that mean I'm actually a Dad?

Though I'd still probably go with bloody mess in fallout 4 because it's more goofy than anything else really.

idk The Witcher 3 stuff is a lot less off-putting to me than the AssCreed stuff. something about the sounds in that game, idk, but it I was almost as put off as Vinny. But I like the gore and dismemberment from TW3.

idk The Witcher 3 stuff is a lot less off-putting to me than the AssCreed stuff. something about the sounds in that game, idk, but it I was almost as put off as Vinny. But I like the gore and dismemberment from TW3.

The amount of gore and brutality really doesn't fit the fantasy setting of the game. Dismembering people in the game is so.....offputting.

Like in MGS:Revengeance it makes sense, that's what they're going for. In Witcher 3 however it's like, 'Hey here's this fantasy game, where you can use magic and card battles. By the way, you can cut people in half.'

I disliked it in Skyrim too, it's just too....brutal.

I think Assassin's Creed 3 is when the series went over the top in terms of the finisher animations. Was playing it yesterday and the animations are very much in line with the Unity/Syndicate blades in ears silliness.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The amount of gore and brutality really doesn't fit the fantasy setting of the game. Dismembering people in the game is so.....offputting.

Like in MGS:Revengeance it makes sense, that's what they're going for. In Witcher 3 however it's like, 'Hey here's this fantasy game, where you can use magic and card battles. By the way, you can cut people in half.'

Why is dismembering people in a fantasy setting not fitting?

I dunno, I feel like a violent fantasy series is a perfect setting for stuff like that. I'm not sure why it makes any more sense in Revengeance, Not that I'm complaining about Revengeance, it's basically the best game ever.

LiK

I never got any of the heads. I think the requirements to obtain the blueprints required me to go back to old missions to find.

I think Assassin's Creed 3 is when the series went over the top in terms of the finisher animations. Was playing it yesterday and the animations are very much in line with the Unity/Syndicate blades in ears silliness.

this is true. ACIII gave you the most wide variety of weapons in the series. BF and Unity scaled back how many weapons you can wield.

AJLma

Drew is just making a beeline towards everything, and not taking advantage of the tools or the sandbox. The game is punishing him for it.

Dans half-assed role as intel-man is awkward to, if he's sitting there with the iPad, drop some markers or something.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Weird, so during the mission Drew did, I had to take care of a guy with a red beret, not a prisoner.

iirc you have to follow him until he takes you to the right prisoner. You can also just extract him and all the prisoners and get the intel that way, which is what I did because FUCK following people in this game, the scripting is buggy as fuck and it takes forever.

iirc you have to follow him until he takes you to the right prisoner. You can also just extract him and all the prisoners and get the intel that way, which is what I did because FUCK following people in this game, the scripting is buggy as fuck and it takes forever.

Yeah, in that mission it's extra buggy as fuck. The guy just sitting in the jeep happened to me. And my mission ended when I extracted the guy with the red beret, I dunno about the prisoner. Maybe I got him, but I wasn't able to end the mission until i took care of the guy with the red beret..

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm trying to figure out how an individual can jump out of The Witcher 3 in the first place.

But joking aside, you should play Heart of Stone it's incredible. DLC of the year if that's a thing.

I still have a lot of the vanilla game left to do, but I have heard good things about the dlc. I guess I just burned myself out on it for a while because I have the compulsion to do every piece of side content and explore every inch of the world that the game will allow me to before it requires me to proceed with main story missions. I think I left off about 15 hours into skellige with pretty much everything done up til that point. Also rocket league helped prise me away from it.

Navid

Any chance either of the Giantbomb coasts will be doing a live stream/commentary of the Paris Games Week Sony conference?

Or is the time difference to out of sync for that to be possible...

daydream

Banned
actually, the pitfall runner is supposed to be ok-ish. do i dare try it or is it gonna be too depressing, hm

Because they were some genuinely good games at one time, and occasionally good ones still come out.

i like all those good games but being invested in the characters is a different matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom