• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I loved Witcher 3's combat and that's one of the big reasons. It's the perfect depiction and actualization of Witcher style combat as described in the lore and the books. It's described as dance-like, with a lot of spins and pirouettes. Between the attack animations and the side step, Geralt is able to look like and be an incredibly nimble fighter.

And from a gameplay perspective, giving you multiple dodges to use in different situations for a character and combat system based around evasion is about as empowering as you can get. It's probably my favorite combat of any RPG.

I don't understand the people who don't like it. Are you just button mashing? Are you playing it like Dark Souls?

I think the combat has a few issues.

Closing in on enemies - it is hard to gauge how far away/close you have to be to make an attack which can leave you flailing just short, which is frustrating. Also you too often face far too many enemies and I don't feel the camera/targeting system is suited to that. One on one fights are a lot of fun and you can really use the variety of moves and approaches but with 3+ enemies it is just overwhelming. Also I find the general responsiveness of the controls fractionally too slow for what is supposed to be a high paced combat dance. The windows on parries feel weird (sometimes in your favour).

I preferred W1's combat, not because it was better but because it was simpler (basically a rudimentary rhythm game) and made me look great without much input whilst I absorbed the story and atmosphere. Which is unusual for me.

Speaking as a programmer, Human Resource Machine seemed cool but then they introduced variables and pointers it became seriously impressive.
bountyrune.gif

The fact that that game makes assembly programming look fun is a hell of a thing. I might have to buy it.

I think that stuff isn't going to hurt MSGV as much as the audience would want it to. The crew tends to focus on their own personal experiences as opposed to a more holistic view.

Their experiences were overwhelmingly positive. The problem is that high is starting to fade, while MM continues to burn bright.
I dunno, Jeff has specifically said that the Microtransaction stuff will come up in GOTY discussion as it's part of the game.

erawsd

I think that stuff isn't going to hurt MSGV as much as the audience would want it to. The crew tends to focus on their own personal experiences as opposed to a more holistic view.

Their experiences were overwhelmingly positive. The problem is that high is starting to fade, while MM continues to burn bright.

That MM high has pretty much just been limited to Dan and Jeff though, it doesn't sound like anyone else is as smitten with it. While MGS has seen gushing praise across the board. Even Vinny has found 70+ hours to devote to it.

Yeah TW3 had some excellent 1 on 1 human combat, and its kind of a shame that it doesn't get to show it off more often. I kind of wish the Monster combat had been just as nuanced, but the monster combat was just kind of roll/dodge and spam your attacks.

I do hope they get around to Tales from the Borderlands. Halfway through Episode 3 and that game has the best characters/story I've seen from a game this year.

justjim89

That's always the thing for me. Part of my brain goes, "Well, isn't it part of their job to play and cover major game releases?" but at the same time, playing enough of Witcher 3 to appreciate it and talk about it is much different than beating the whole thing. They've certainly covered the game, but completing it at this point would be on their own time and that is a sizable investment. Especially just for GOTY consideration. I'm surprised Brad didn't play it like a week or two before release to do a review for it like he did MGSV. Maybe they just didn't get it that early.

Either way it's definitely my GOTY unless Fallout is absolutely stunning. The way that game wraps up is so great, and there's an incredible amount of good content on the way there. It all feels so hand-crafted and well-designed, written, and performed. It probably won't even get Best Story, which is another that it frankly deserves. But can't ask them to reward a game they didn't finish.

LiK

That first Halo match on UPF looks awful.

I really wish Rorie would stop telling the crew about the audio issues. it's only a streaming issue so he should just tell chat to calm down while they try to fix it. the archived version is free from those issues and it ruined the whole segment

I really am starting to think it's turned to a 50/50 thing. Their experiences with the full cycle of course creation has really upped their love for that game, and they liked it a crazy amount right from the start.

I feel like the biggest proponents for Mario Maker is still going to be Jeff and Dan and Dan obviously won't put up a big fight against MGSV, a game he loves to death.
Unless something crazy happens and Fallout 4 or Just Cause 3 takes his top spot, everything still points to Brad having MGSV as his number 1 + Drew, Jason and Vinny all seem to really enjoy it as well. I think Mario Maker will have a hard time winning against those odds, but it should definitely be in the top 3.

Patryn

I feel like the biggest proponents for Mario Maker is still going to be Jeff and Dan and Dan obviously won't put up a big fight against MGSV, a game he loves to death.
Unless something crazy happens and Fallout 4 or Just Cause 3 takes his top spot, everything still points to Brad having MGSV as his number 1 + Drew, Jason and Vinny all seem to really enjoy it as well. I think Mario Maker will have a hard time winning against those odds, but it should definitely be in the top 3.

I don't see Mario Maker falling below 2.

I think it's clear that MGSV and Mario Maker are 1-2 in some order. But everything beyond that is currently fuzzy in terms of order.

Lunar FC

I really wish Rorie would stop telling the crew about the audio issues. it's only a streaming issue so he should just tell chat to calm down while they try to fix it. the archived version is free from those issues and it ruined the whole segment

Rorie can do no right.
It is annoying though.

justjim89

I mean, Dan has a hard time even conceding something is wrong with MGSV. When they were laying in on how bad the microtransaction FOB stuff is he just kinda went "Ehhhhhh..." or on the Spoilercast when they talking about how bad the structure of Chapter 2 is he literally said "Aren't you being a bit greedy?" in reference to the expectation of it keeping pace with Chapter 1 in terms of new content. The only thing he really admitted as being bad is the Quiet stuff, and that surprised me he even went along with that.

GOTY should be interesting talk when the faults of MGSV come up.

Myggen

That saved the stream and is like 2 minutes of the archive. Him going on about it and going to the engineers with it fixed the audio issues, at least for a time, which were issues that made the stream unwatchable for a lot of people. Jeff wasn't aware of how bad those issues were and was wrong when he said they couldn't do anything about it.

If he hadn't gone on about it people would've complained that they couldn't watch it live. Rorie can't win.

I don't see Mario Maker falling below 2.

I think it's clear that MGSV and Mario Maker are 1-2 in some order. But everything beyond that is currently fuzzy in terms of order.

In terms of the games released so far, I completely agree. But Just Cause 3 and Fallout 4 both have potential to be top 3 material. Especially Just Cause seems like a game that's sure to go high on the list (assuming they actually have the time to play it before recording the podcasts).

erawsd

Yeah TW3 had some excellent 1 on 1 human combat, and its kind of a shame that it doesn't get to show it off more often. I kind of wish the Monster combat had been just as nuanced, but the monster combat was just kind of roll/dodge and spam your attacks.

I agree, some of the monster combat is where the Witcher combat starts to fall apart for me. The problem is that they are too reliant on spamming unblockable/stagger attacks and their hit boxes arent as tight as human opponents.

That said, minus the frog boss, I think they did a great job with the new bosses and enemies in the expac.

I didn't even think of it like that but you're right! It is like assembly programming. Nothing is less fun than assembly programming.

As someone who currently has to write shellcode attacks in x86 for my computer security class, I can say that you are correct.

I mean, Dan has a hard time even conceding something is wrong with MGSV. When they were laying in on how bad the microtransaction FOB stuff is he just kinda went "Ehhhhhh..." or on the Spoilercast when they talking about how bad the structure of Chapter 2 is he literally said "Aren't you being a bit greedy?" in reference to the expectation of it keeping pace with Chapter 1 in terms of new content. The only thing he really admitted as being bad is the Quiet stuff, and that surprised me he even went along with that.

GOTY should be interesting talk when the faults of MGSV come up.

I have a feeling that Dan will cave a little on MGSV come GOTY time once some time has passed since its release. And considering all of his Mario Maker shenanigans, it wouldn't surprise me if Jeff swayed him to Team Mario for #1.

erawsd

In terms of the games released so far, I completely agree. But Just Cause 3 and Fallout 4 both have potential to be top 3 material. Especially Just Cause seems like a game that's sure to go high on the list (assuming they actually have the time to play it before recording the podcasts).

If Just Cause feels as good to play as it looks, I think it may diminish some of the magic of MGSV as a fun/dumb sandbox.

Zaph

If Just Cause feels as good to play as it looks, I think it may diminish some of the magic of MGSV as a fun/dumb sandbox.

I think the comparisons could go either way with Giant Bomb. The format of MGSV might make JC3 feel very dated. The game no doubt looks a lot of fun, but continuing with the whole selective destructibility in a typical open world as it's big draw has me worried it's end up being JC2.5 (which isn't necessarily a terrible thing).

That saved the stream and is like 2 minutes of the archive. Him going on about it and going to the engineers with it fixed the audio issues, at least for a time, which were issues that made the stream unwatchable for a lot of people. Jeff wasn't aware of how bad those issues were and was wrong when he said they couldn't do anything about it.

If he hadn't gone on about it people would've complained that they couldn't watch it live. Rorie can't win.

like I get that maybe it's annoying to people watching the archive but the main point of live shows is to BE LIVE. if it's fucked up it makes it not worth watching live. those issues can and should be pointed out.

Rorie being vigilant is the only reason that stream was watchable live in the first place. man people will gripe about anything

Yeah, maybe. Even though they're both sandboxy shooters, the gameplay in MGSV is still pretty different from Just Cause, so it could go either way.

I feel like Just Cause 3 coming out december 1., might lead to everybody playing and loving it right up until the deliberations. And with that fresh in memory, it might have a pretty good shot compared to how people have soured on MGS's story and Konami updating the game to make FOB stuff even more tedious.

Catching up on the beastcast and hearing Vinny legit screamimg about the Chuck E. Cheese ticket policy is hilarious

That is some legit bullshit though.

Myggen

I'm not sure that's true.

I've watched all the episodes of Kommissar Rex so I'm pretty sure I know everything about German life and culture.

Edit: oh, that series might be Austrian? Haha

They're going to be streaming Sony's PGW conference tomorrow, right? I mean that's basically asking the minimum.

They all but confirmed it at the end of UPF. Not having any video guys might complicate things, but they'll probably make it work.

Xater

I've watched all the episodes of Kommissar Rex so I'm pretty sure I know everything about German life and culture.

Edit: oh, that series might be Austrian? Haha

They all but confirmed it at the end of UPF. Not having any video guys might complicate things, but they'll probably make it work.

Yeah, that was set in Vienna. I also watched it, but like most people for the dog.

erawsd

Yeah, maybe. Even though they're both sandboxy shooters, the gameplay in MGSV is still pretty different from Just Cause, so it could go either way.

I feel like Just Cause 3 coming out december 1., might lead to everybody playing and loving it right up until the deliberations. And with that fresh in memory, it might have a pretty good shot compared to how people have soured on MGS's story and Konami updating the game to make FOB stuff even more tedious.

Totally, overall they are still very different games. However, the aspect that is most praised about MGSV is its sandbox elements and the sheer amount of freedom you're afforded in completing objectives.

Myggen

they juryrigged a UPF and a Guitar Hero QL, they've got this

Yeah, you're probably right. It should probably be easier to get a stream of the conference running than what they have to do to run a UPF. As long as you can get the audio levels right for the conference stream.

Is there a reason GB East couldn't do it if West isn't able to?

No, but it seems like a GBWest thing. Brad was ready to announce it during UPF, so they're probably doing it. Jeff has become Master of Streams now too, so they've got this.

Why am I reading Kommissar Rex in this thread

Because that dog is anime as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom