• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

mintyice

Went home on my lunch break and got my headphones, except they don't reach my ears from the back of this PC. No videos for me. Boooooo

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It just shows that it is NOT a game to watch an average-skilled gamer play. There aren't enough other factors to make up for the average gameplay.

I think you're giving Drew too much credit here tbh

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Speaking as a programmer, Human Resource Machine seemed cool but then they introduced variables and pointers it became seriously impressive.
bountyrune.gif

I remember in one of my early programming languages classes learning just how simple a programming language truly is. I'm currently working on a project in class where we're building a C- compiler by hand and the CFG for creating it fits on a single page, at just 29 rules. You really do only need a small set of simple rules utilized creatively to basically compute anything computable.

Brashnir

People getting angry at how other people play video games is a concept so baffling to me.

You guys must be crazy.

It only really gets to me in puzzle games where I see the solution, and the player can't find it.

It's just something inherent in the genre. When the player figures out a puzzle before me, I just shrug and think, "oh, cool." But when I figure it out first, It's "JUST DO THE OBVIOUS THING, IDIOT!"

So I just listened to the Steam Controller segment of the Beastcast. Vinny is right about the controller taking a while to get used to, but it takes a couple of days, not months as he implied. Now that I am fully used to it, I will never go back to a traditional dual analog controller. The steam controller is just superior in every way. I hope Vinny sticks with it.

I never thought I would be super positive on gyro functionality in 2015, but it is a killer feature of the controller. Having it only activate while holding a certain button (left trigger in my case with MGSV) is totally critical to making gyro controls viable.
I've played with it on MGSV for a few hours now and find it inferior in every possible way. I'm considering selling it. The trackpad is incredibly difficult to use, the d pad is much worse than the 360, the buttons are oddly placed... Really the only benefit is having the two extra buttons on the back.

Yeah, the hyperbole is insane around how "bad" MGSV is. It reminds me of when everybody loved Bioshock Infinite and then all of a sudden it was the norm to hate it.

Gotta do something to balance out Dan saying every little thing about the game is really cool. Most of the stuff he praises he probably wouldn't even notice in other games but it's Metal Gear so everything is cool. I personally cannot see how a game with such terrible world design, level design and mission design (even Peace Walker has more varied side missions) can be that good regardless of how well it controls.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I've played with it on MGSV for a few hours now and find it inferior in every possible way. I'm considering selling it. The trackpad is incredibly difficult to use, the d pad is much worse than the 360, the buttons are oddly placed... Really the only benefit is having the two extra buttons on the back.

The controller and the steambox overall (less so Steam link which is so cheap it doesn't matter) just feel like weird compromises between consoles and pc that don't really satisfy either.

The controller and the steambox overall (less so Steam link which is so cheap it doesn't matter) just feel like weird compromises between consoles and pc that don't really satisfy either.

Yeah the Steam controller is a weird one. It's supposed to help bridge the input gap between controllers and a M&K, while not being particularly 'great' at either. Like, I'm definitely not gonna use it for Counter Strike or Killing Floor 2, it's probably a better idea to use a M&K. And I'm definitely not gonna use it for Project CARS or SFV PC, because using an Xbox One controller or fight stick is also probably a better idea in both cases. I see people praising it as the next evolution for 'controllers', but it seriously doesn't look like it to me. To me it's just some thing we'll look back in video game history as that one time Valve tried to make a new controller, and it came out weird and everyone just stuck to M&K and Xbox controllers anyway.

Listened to another podcast where they went in super hard on how bad that controller is. Especially because the person using it has small it hands and its shit for that as well.

Reminds me of the OG Xbox controller and how bad that was.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I like the Steamcontroller but if you already have a 360 controller and you have no desire to play games like Civilization on a couch I don't see any need for it.

demidar

Listened to another podcast where they went in super hard on how bad that controller is. Especially because the person using it has small it hands and its shit for that as well.

Man I loved The Duke. My small hands could spread out all over that controller.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Remember the wall ladies in Deadly Premonition and how crazy people went cause it took Brad some time to beat them? Good times.

erawsd

People getting angry at how other people play video games is a concept so baffling to me.

You guys must be crazy.

I agree that all the childish tantrums people are having over it is ridiculous. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with being critical of how someone plays a game, particularly when they are playing it for the purpose of entertaining an audience.

killroy87

There's a lot of things you can criticize MGSV for, but calling the gameplay average is just dumb.

I'm not saying MGSV's average gameplay, I'm saying Drew's average gameplay :p

I think you're missing his point, which is it is not an enjoyable experience to watch when someone who is not good at the game is playing it.

Well, yeah, But Drew's never been "good" at them, but they've always been enjoyable nonetheless because of their design. This, not so much.

I mean, I'm not saying they should stop or anything, especially if others are enjoying it. I just feel like while Dan was playing through MGSV on his own, he probably should have clued in that it might not be super suitable for a full playthrough. I'd be blown away if the average views aren't lower compared to pas entries.

I'd probably replay that game if it wasn't for those damn wall ladies. Is there some quick way to beat them that I or Brad apparently don't know of.

You wait until they turn visible and try to grab you when they're on the sides of the walls and hit them with a strong weapon, like a magnum or a super strong melee weapon. They go down in like four or five hits.

There's actually an infinite durability melee weapon that you can get by just doing the block pushing side quests at the convenience store that can kill nearly any non-boss in the game in 1-2 hits while playing on normal difficulty, and that includes wall ladies.

M.D

I never realized the clock for upcoming content is adjusted to your local time and kept converting the hour to PST, then I was wondering why are they always late

Crate & Crowbar? I listened to their latest episode just today and they made it sound like the controller was still buggy, too, with random inputs and such. And one of them said the Link didn't work for him at all either, but I think he was using it wireless.

Crate & Crowbar? I listened to their latest episode just today and they made it sound like the controller was still buggy, too, with random inputs and such. And one of them said the Link didn't work for him at all either, but I think he was using it wireless.

Nah, the super best friendcast. While the dude's gimmick (Pat) is to be cynical about things, the way he talked about how bad the controller is just to hold and how the build quality feels like shit was only one of the thing's many problems to where Civ 5 might be the only somewhat acceptable game to use with the controller, as he tried other games like transformers and it barely worked.

The controller just sounded pointless to where it wasn't even close to being a replacement for M/kb or even a decent controller for regular games.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
You can get angry, but then you should also stop watching and not repeat the whole process when the next episode comes out...

I think a lot of people are just hoping against hope that Drew gets better and Dan stops being more of a hindrance than a help. Won't happen, most likely. But there's definitely a bunch of posts here and on GB of people saying they can't watch this anymore, and in my case that's definitely true.

Curufinwe

It just shows that it is NOT a game to watch an average-skilled gamer play. There aren't enough other factors to make up for the average gameplay.

The gameplay was fantastic fun for me as a pretty average gamer... but that's not what you meant.

I still say they'd do a lot better if they'd just play at night more.

PensOwl

Banned
Can't wait until MGScanlon hits traitor's caravan.

Moreso for the community reactions than the actual video.

I think part of Drew's frustration is knowing that watching someone fail repeatedly doesn't make for interesting content, and that just compounds the regular frustration of being unable to progress. It doesn't help that the codec is absolutely useless in MGSV either.

Zaph

I never realized the clock for upcoming content is adjusted to your local time and kept converting the hour to PST, then I was wondering why are they always late

Yup, very handy little feature. Would be even better if it appeared on mobile.

Makes you wonder why more sites don't also do it instead of just listing a handful of major time zones.

Nero18

Can't wait until MGScanlon hits traitor's caravan.

Moreso for the community reactions than the actual video.

I think part of Drew's frustration is knowing that watching someone fail repeatedly doesn't make for interesting content, and that just compounds the regular frustration of being unable to progress. It doesn't help that the codec is absolutely useless in MGSV either.

Think its also a time aspect to it. If he played off air, my guess is he would really take his time with every thing but then eventually lose interest before the end of chapter 1.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
protip: watch MGScanlon V while doing something else. you'll enjoy it more.

True, but on the other hand what is the point of this thread if not to talk about GB content?

That said, I don't know what people expected from Drew. He played the other games in a non-stealthy way (to put it politely) and when 4 enabled him to shoot he embraced it. 5 only empowers that approach further.

The worst thing is dan's shit advice, but I don't really mind.

Lelcar

Think its also a time aspect to it. If he played off air, my guess is he would really take his time with every thing but then eventually lose interest before the end of chapter 1.

Drew plays games off-air? We all know his top ten GOTY will just be all of the Quick Looks he sat in on. ;)

I'm not saying MGSV's average gameplay, I'm saying Drew's average gameplay :p

Okay, my bad! In episodes like the last one, calling his gameplay average is being generous, IMO. So many bad choices and zero attention paid to the information provided by the game. It's been a long time since I openly cursed at my Ipad when watching MGScanlon, but this episode broke me.

It doesn't help that Dan is giving wrong information about totally basic mechanics all the time.. I feel like just one episode with Jason in the second seat would make a world of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom