• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't one of the targets, but that's put a hole in their air surveillance. The chopper will be able to get in close now. You can designate a landing zone near the outpost.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That Icy Hot Stuntaz reference by Drew.

L1DX0q9.jpg

Those early 2000s internet era days.

FStop7

Banned
Listened to another podcast where they went in super hard on how bad that controller is. Especially because the person using it has small it hands and its shit for that as well.

Reminds me of the OG Xbox controller and how bad that was.

Controller development is highly specialized and expensive. I always shake my head and cringe a bit when companies like Ouya or Valve think they can just make something as nuanced as a truly good controller when companies like Microsoft are literally investing hundreds of millions of dollars in developing controllers. Valve might eventually get there but it will take many iterations and many years.

The 360 controller's pretty widely regarded as being the best ever. But can you actually verbalize, in detail, why? "it feels better" is insufficient. I mean can you really analyze what it is that makes the 360 controller so good? It's extremely difficult to describe. So imagine how difficult it is to create.

When does that start?

The time might differ, because in America we won't end Daylight Saving Time until Sunday at 2:00 AM. However, by watching Colin and Greg Live today, some viewers from England were complaining that the show started an hour earlier today. Turns out, England ended Daylight Savings Time today (wouldn't have known this had I not watched). All I know is in America, the stream should start at 9:00 AM Pacific (12:00 PM Eastern, for me).

Edit- Huh. The North American PSBlog says it is 10:00 AM Pacific/1:00 PM Eastern, so I assume that's correct, but then again guy who wrote the post is from SCEE in England, so....

To make sure you don't miss it, be there at 9:00 AM Pacific/12:00 PM Eastern and if it doesn't start then, it'll definitely start at 10:00 AM Pacific/1:00 PM Eastern (well, probably not on time, as it's a PlayStation conference and they never start on time).

Myggen

Controller development is highly specialized and expensive. I always shake my head and cringe a bit when companies like Ouya or Valve think they can just make something as nuanced as a truly good controller when companies like Microsoft are literally investing hundreds of millions of dollars in developing controllers. Valve might eventually get there but it will take many iterations and many years.

The 360 controller's pretty widely regarded as being the best ever. But can you actually verbalize, in detail, why? "it feels better" is insufficient. I mean can you really analyze what it is that makes the 360 controller so good? It's extremely difficult to describe. So imagine how difficult it is to create.

Yeah, describing a controller will always lead to words like "feel" and so on.

The Steam controller has always seemed like a weird niche to me. You're making it for a really small segment of gamers, the people who play PC games on their TV, and it's really only suited for a small share of games on the platform. A normal controller will always be better at third person and first person games of any genre, and it might not be good enough to play real time strategy games. It's probably good enough to play turn-based games, but that might be it...? It very much feels like making something that there wasn't that much demand for in the first place.

We'll see how it turns out.

The time might differ, because in America we won't end Daylight Saving Time until Sunday at 2:00 AM. However, by watching Colin and Greg Live today, some viewers from England were complaining that the show started an hour earlier today. Turns out, England ended Daylight Savings Time today (wouldn't have known this had I not watched). All I know is in America, the stream should start at 9:00 AM Pacific (12:00 PM Atlantic, for me).

Yeah, this is the time of year when I always miss a live show on GB because I get confused by Daylight Saving Time. We ended it a couple of days ago, and the schedule on the site never manages to catch up until you guys catch up in a week or so.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The time might differ, because in America we won't end Daylight Saving Time until Sunday at 2:00 AM. However, by watching Colin and Greg Live today, some viewers from England were complaining that the show started an hour earlier today. Turns out, England ended Daylight Savings Time today (wouldn't have known this had I not watched). All I know is in America, the stream should start at 9:00 AM Pacific (12:00 PM Atlantic, for me).

wha...
Bring back Swatch time.

tuxfool

Banned
Y
Yeah, this is the time of year when I always miss a live show on GB because I get confused by Daylight Saving Time. We ended it a couple of days ago, and the schedule on the site never manages to catch up until you guys catch up in a week or so.

My schedule looks sort of ok. I see that the regular time they publish QLs has gone back one hour.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I am 99.9% certain their schedule accounts for this two week window where our DSTs don't align. It would be trivial to account for it in any programming language.

Yeah, describing a controller will always lead to words like "feel" and so on.

The Steam controller has always seemed like a weird niche to me. You're making it for a really small segment of gamers, the people who play PC games on their TV, and it's really only suited for a small share of games on the platform. A normal controller will always be better at third person and first person games of any genre, and it might not be good enough to play real time strategy games. It's probably good enough to play turn-based games, but that might be it...? It very much feels like making something that there wasn't that much demand for in the first place.

We'll see how it turns out.

Once I got used to the steam controller and found the configuration that I liked, it absolutely outperforms my old 360 pad in third and first person games. I hate the sort of jerky movement that results from dual analog sticks, and there's none of that with the steam controller.

Keyboard and mouse is still king, of course, but the steam controller has surprised the hell out of me with how well it adapts across genres.

Once I got used to the steam controller and found the configuration that I liked, it absolutely outperforms my old 360 pad in third and first person games. I hate the sort of jerky movement that results from dual analog sticks, and there's none of that with the steam controller.

Keyboard and mouse is still king, of course, but the steam controller has surprised the hell out of me with how well it adapts across genres.
Then why not use just a mouse and keyboard? I have a wireless pair that was much cheaper and more effective than the Stream controller.

Myggen

You think? Kinda sounds like Halo music. Maybe Jeff will play some?

Seems like it might just be engineers testing, there's engineers in the chat asking about video drops right now at least. This might be Bombcast recording time for all we know.

I'm enjoying the Halo(?) music.

Xater

I hope they look at the Roller Coaster Tycoon World Beta or at least QL it when it comes out in December.

Someone from GB has to have an affinity for this series right?

Oh yeah that would be interesting. Still surprised non of them has checked out Sublevel Zero yet. I know Drew likes Descent and I am pretty sure so does Jeff. Oh well I kinda have already made up my mind about it. I will probably just get it once they release the mac version. It looks cool.

Seems like it might just be engineers testing, there's engineers in the chat asking about video drops right now at least. This might be Bombcast recording time for all we know.

I'm enjoying the Halo(?) music.

You might be right. Also right now I am pretty sure that is Halo 5 music. Those chants man.

Then why not use just a mouse and keyboard? I have a wireless pair that was much cheaper and more effective than the Stream controller.

I often do, but it requires moving my couch-side table around to be between me and my projector screen. When it's Saturday and I want to spend 5 hours playing a shooter, it's worth doing that, but when I get home from work and just want to play a mission in MGSV, the steam controller is much more comfortable.

[EDIT] Also, out of game using the controller on the desktop is great.

I often do, but it requires moving my couch-side table around to be between me and my projector screen. When it's Saturday and I want to spend 5 hours playing a shooter, it's worth doing that, but when I get home from work and just want to play a mission in MGSV, the steam controller is much more comfortable.
How do you use it anyway? The default configuration is nearly impossible to use for aiming as it lacks precision. Then again, I've always hated using trackpads on laptops. I guess I shouldn't trust Valve implicitly like I used to.
Edit: It's awful on the desktop too. It doesn't let you hold down to scroll down like most have controllers do. Instead, you have to click over and over again to scroll down.

playing Human Resource Machine, it's fantastic. but man, some of those optimization challenges are NOT for me.

I'll play this game like I code in real life: brute force or bust

How do you use it anyway? The default configuration is nearly impossible to use for aiming as it lacks precision. Then again, I've always hated using trackpads on laptops. I guess I shouldn't trust Valve implicitly like I used to.

Yeah I definitely don't think everyone is going to like it. I used a community controller config for MGSV and then tweaked it to my liking. Basically, left analog stick for movement of course, with weapon and item switching on the left track pad (functioning the same as a D-pad). Left trigger soft pull will do the "aim," while a full pull will look down iron sights and activate the gyro. In iron sights, larger movements are still on the right pad, but smaller movements (headshots) are lined up using the gyro.

Didn't catch your edit:
Edit: It's awful on the desktop too. It doesn't let you hold down to scroll down like most have controllers do. Instead, you have to click over and over again to scroll down.

That was fixed with firmware a couple of days after release. Now the desktop controls are fully configurable and work great.

I just watched the GB x Power Rangers intro. Magical.

Very talented community!

I'm trying to come to grips with the percieved fact that it would take the assembled Bomb Duders With Attitude to stop the Lang Zone and that Scoops is now one of his henchmen (if the video is to believed).

I hope they look at the Roller Coaster Tycoon World Beta or at least QL it when it comes out in December.

Someone from GB has to have an affinity for this series right?

If anyone has an affinity for Roller Coaster Tycoon, its for 1 and 2. And if that's true, Parkitect might be a better fit for them than RCT World. It too is coming soon (it's in early access right now for $15). Unlike RCT World, which continues the full 3D or RCT3, Parkitect has RCT 1 and 2's isometric look. http://www.themeparkitect.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom