• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I don't think I like Undertale much. I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end but I'm 100% hate-playing it at this point. It really overplays its hand imo. Like all the characters just get overbearing at a certain point and the whole middle of the game until now just feels like a slog.

I just had to get it out there. There has to be someone else who has some feelings other than undying adulation for this game, right?

Couldnt care less for it. Definitely the worst game I've played this year, though the games I've played this year were really good so i guess that's not saying much.

I just didn't like anything about it besides like three things.

Jintor

I was super on board with it like the first 2 hours but everything after the
Papyrus fight
has just been a drag. I can't stand that scientist character. Calls every 2 seconds, yeah I get it, you're an awkward weeb. Shut up already. I feel like Napstablook already nailed a lot of the same character traits more endearingly without hitting me over the head with it all the time.

Where are you up to? Finished the core?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Where are you up to? Finished the core?

Almost, I'm at the end (I think) and I have to fight
Mettaton
. I died and quit because I've been playing mostly pacifist, although apparently it doesn't matter at all because I killed
Toriel
, because honestly who didn't their first time? So I'm super weak and combat, especially against bosses, is just frustrating and tedious as you try to figure out the solution to beat them.

Mettaton
. I died and quit because I've been playing mostly pacifist, although apparently it doesn't matter at all because I killed
Toriel
, because honestly who didn't their first time? So I'm super weak and combat, especially against bosses, is just frustrating and tedious as you try to figure out the solution to beat them.

The path you're on is way better than pacifist anyway so you're much better off. You're near the end of the game, so you should definitely see it through.

If you're having a lot of trouble I'd go back and kill some enemies then and get some levels. You level up quick in this game.

Jintor

Mettaton
Toriel

I mean, I can't force you to have fun or anything, and I can see how mercy puzzles can get frustrating... But it's worth it. (Also lol at the tutorial boss, it's kinda amazing how many people fall for that)

Load up on junk food down outside the hotel and keep going. DETERMINATION

Once I got used to the steam controller and found the configuration that I liked, it absolutely outperforms my old 360 pad in third and first person games. I hate the sort of jerky movement that results from dual analog sticks, and there's none of that with the steam controller.

Keyboard and mouse is still king, of course, but the steam controller has surprised the hell out of me with how well it adapts across genres.

i've been playing through Life Is Strange with a config i modified from a mouse + keyboard layout that was already uploaded, and i love it

the haptics on the touchpads make moving the camera around pleasurable in itself, and it's definitely far quicker and more precise than analog sticks. i didn't really like using the right touchpad as an analog stick though, i couldn't find any settings that made it feel great

also it makes Euro Truck Simulator 2 fully playable without hauling my racing wheel out, so it's probably worth owning for that alone. that game was always impossible for me to play with a regular gamepad

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like undertale and life is strange might be the only 2 games I'll play this year that is up for giantbomb's goty contention.

3 if I get around to fallout 4 this year.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I can't force you to have fun or anything, and I can see how mercy puzzles can get frustrating... But it's worth it. (Also lol at the tutorial boss, it's kinda amazing how many people fall for that)

Load up on junk food down outside the hotel and keep going. DETERMINATION

I spent literally all my money on the spider boss because that seemed like the thing to do.

Turns out it wasn't? idk. I did spare her.

Most (but not all) of them are pretty one note, yeah. It's a five hour RPG, whatcha gonna do.

I think this does a massive disservice to like every character. They're really not one-note. I mean, some are much more three-dimensional than others, but everyone has shit under the surface that makes them more interesting than their initial impression lets on.

I spent literally all my money on the spider boss because that seemed like the thing to do.

I ended up doing the same thing and was able to get through the rest of the game just fine.

I think this does a massive disservice to like every character. They're really not one-note. I mean, some are much more three-dimensional than others, but everyone has shit under the surface that makes them more interesting than their initial impression lets on.

The Sans heel turn is incredible

Remember when Brad was a talking hamburger

0tgSdxu.png

demidar

Well there is a quick solution to that boss
if you bought something from the spider bake sale from The Ruin and you eat that item during the boss battle you win instantly

Downwell's pretty good

I still gotta get to that and Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter.

It's been a great year for smaller games.

i've been playing through Life Is Strange with a config i modified from a mouse + keyboard layout that was already uploaded, and i love it

the haptics on the touchpads make moving the camera around pleasurable in itself, and it's definitely far quicker and more precise than analog sticks. i didn't really like using the right touchpad as an analog stick though, i couldn't find any settings that made it feel great

also it makes Euro Truck Simulator 2 fully playable without hauling my racing wheel out, so it's probably worth owning for that alone. that game was always impossible for me to play with a regular gamepad

Awesome! I agree that the haptics are really cool. I love the tactile feel of using the gyro with haptics turned on, it feels like you're really physically moving something in the controller. I wish it had trigger vibration like the Xbone controller, though.

Also, the trick is to set the right pad as a mouse input and not as an analog stick.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Rebel Galaxy is a better game than Undertale.

Rebel Galaxy is a really good game as long as you have somewhere to look over there away from the screen because holy god is there a lot of pointing your ship at a place and waiting 30-90 seconds to get there while trying to find some place to put your controller that won't make so god damned much rumble noise.

Jintor

I'd say it's about half and half. But really there's only ever, like, about 4 or 5 'serious' characters in play

I also feel like a lot of the char development/revelation requires multiple playthroughs to really grasp, which might be a knock against it for some

Awesome! I agree that the haptics are really cool. I love the tactile feel of using the gyro with haptics turned on, it feels like you're really physically moving something in the controller. I wish it had trigger vibration like the Xbone controller, though.

Also, the trick is to set the right pad as a mouse input and not as an analog stick.

that's what i've been trying to do mostly. trackball mode on the right touchpad with haptics set to high and low friction is what i've been trying to use. that doesn't seem to work for all the stuff i've tried, though

like I tried to use gamepad + mouse config for LIS, but the prompts keep changing between gamepad buttons and m+kb keys, which wouldn't be that much of a problem if Max didn't keep moving in the direction i was pressing as soon as i start moving the camera towards an object and let go of the left stick

also from what i've seen, i think MGSV has some stuff like that as well? like you can't really use gamepad + mouse without just setting up a full mouse and keyboard config, at which point you lose analog control of movement speed? i don't have MGSV on PC so i can't test it for myself

weirdness like that is stuff i'm sure will become less of a factor going forward though

I feel like undertale and life is strange might be the only 2 games I'll play this year that is up for giantbomb's goty contention.

3 if I get around to fallout 4 this year.

Only Austin has played Life is Strange iirc. Unless GBeast ends up playing through the whole thing I expect it'll get dropped pretty fast in goty due to no one playing it.

SomberOwl

If anyone has an affinity for Roller Coaster Tycoon, its for 1 and 2. And if that's true, Parkitect might be a better fit for them than RCT World. It too is coming soon (it's in early access right now for $15). Unlike RCT World, which continues the full 3D or RCT3, Parkitect has RCT 1 and 2's isometric look. http://www.themeparkitect.com/

That game looks pretty cool. Hopefully they do look at it. I do personally prefer the isometric look.

Rebel Galaxy is a really good game as long as you have somewhere to look over there away from the screen because holy god is there a lot of pointing your ship at a place and waiting 30-90 seconds to get there while trying to find some place to put your controller that won't make so god damned much rumble noise.

So there's this website that puts out multiple 2-3 hour long podcasts about video games a week, maybe you've heard of it? Game Bomb, I think it's called?

danm999

Only Austin has played Life is Strange iirc. Unless GBeast ends up playing through the whole thing I expect it'll get dropped pretty fast in goty due to no one playing it.

I mean, a full playthrough seems certain at this point given how it blows the voting up week after week.

that's what i've been trying to do mostly. trackball mode on the right touchpad with haptics set to high and low friction is what i've been trying to use. that doesn't seem to work for all the stuff i've tried, though

like I tried to use gamepad + mouse config for LIS, but the prompts keep changing between gamepad buttons and m+kb keys, which wouldn't be that much of a problem if Max didn't keep moving in the direction i was pressing as soon as i start moving the camera towards an object and let go of the left stick

also from what i've seen, i think MGSV has some stuff like that as well? like you can't really use gamepad + mouse without just setting up a full mouse and keyboard config, at which point you lose analog control of movement speed? i don't have MGSV on PC so i can't test it for myself

weirdness like that is stuff i'm sure will become less of a factor going forward though

Oh, yeah, I can totally see that being an issue. I'll keep that in mind, as I plan to get Life is Strange soon.

MGS does have that issue, but you can set the analog stick to two-stage so you can map walk to the first stage and run to the second. It's not quite analog, but it totally works in MGSV. Like you said, though, these are the little things that could be fixed very easily if games take the controller into consideration.

it also falls off pretty hard after the first handful of hours and turns into a real grindfest. the base game is a blast but they didn't find much interesting to put in it

I dunno man, once you figure out what build you wanna make it can be pretty okay. Mine is a close-range brawler that does damage when I ram ships with my barrier shield up.

BearPawB

Banned
Well it happened.
Got married this weekend.
Our "introduction" music, after the ceremony, was John Cena's entrance theme.
I only started watching wrestling because Dan and Jeff talked about it so much.

Now i know it has gone too far. (it was perfect!)

Zaph

Well it happened.

Congratulations! Did you have pyro?

Patryn

Well it happened.

Congrats!

And, really? I mean... Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom