• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
All the characters in heavy rain actually being robots would explain a lot

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, that new Guerilla game's gameplay demo that they showed at PGW was running at like 20 FPS. Yikes.

No cause for alarm yet, optimization happens very very late in the dev cycle

but given the scope of what they're doing, 30fps is almost certainly the goal. I just hope they can at least maintain that.

That last page where Jeeves got banned is a pretty entertaining read though. Just 2 guys fucking going at it. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130430&page=11&highlight= I imagine they both have temp bans.

Probably.

Definitely not

gTo5w7L.gif

oti

Banned
Is there a bombcast this week?

Brad left Giant Bomb so probably not.

Every time I see Marry or Danny posing in a dumb phot shop for a dumb GS news show I'm thinking "man, why can't GS be cooler and more like GB so I could actually enjoy their output". Alternative: Marry and Danny switch to GB. That would be cool too. I just can't deal with that form of coverage anymore.

tuxfool

Banned
Oh man, that new Guerilla game's gameplay demo that they showed at PGW was running at like 20 FPS. Yikes.

Heh. I was in an argument a month ago, where somebody insisted that Horizon ran perfectly well and wouldn't suffer from the same issues as the Witcher 3. I got chewed out for mentioning that one couldn't make such an assertion based on 3 minutes of footage.

They could still improve it but smh.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Brad left Giant Bomb so probably not.

Every time I see Marry or Danny posing in a dumb phot shop for a dumb GS news show I'm thinking "man, why can't GS be cooler and more like GB so I could actually enjoy their output". Alternative: Marry and Danny switch to GB. That would be cool too. I just can't deal with that form of coverage anymore.

That kind of generic "Here's what's happening in the world of games!" coverage is what they do, it brings in their traffic. I agree it's a bummer and Danny's talents are wasted there. On the last bombcast he was on he complained no one watched The Point about Tony Hawk (guilty!) because it was all of like, 20 minutes long. I wonder if they're having that conversation internally. I'm not opposed to it but at the same time, I don't know that I want that kind of super slick production, scripted content on GB. It's so.... professional

Mary has already proven she'd be a great fit for GB, too. Good behind and in front of the camera. Be nice to have a woman on staff too maybe, it's a fair point of criticism. They're like, literally the only major games site without any women on staff. It doesn't actively bother me or anything but y'know.

That kind of generic "Here's what's happening in the world of games!" coverage is what they do, it brings in their traffic. I agree it's a bummer and Danny's talents are wasted there. On the last bombcast he was on he complained no one watched The Point about Tony Hawk (guilty!) because it was all of like, 20 minutes long. I wonder if they're having that conversation internally. I'm not opposed to it but at the same time, I don't know that I want that kind of super slick production, scripted content on GB. It's so.... professional

Mary has already proven she'd be a great fit for GB, too. Good behind and in front of the camera. Be nice to have a woman on staff too maybe, it's a fair point of criticism. They're like, literally the only major games site without any women on staff. It doesn't actively bother me or anything but y'know.

Oh boy, don't get me started on Gamespot's style of coverage. You are totally right that the talent of Mary and Danny is absolutely wasted there. Maybe their circa-2005 coverage works, maybe they're doing well traffic-wise, but boy is it laughable to turn on The Point and see it's being watched live by 200 people.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh God...

Danny O'Dwyer
‏@dannyodwyer
Alt+F1 fans - our podcast is running a little late this week as I had to get my recording of the race to temp co-host @DanRyckert. Yup!

Oh boy, don't get me started on Gamespot's style of coverage. You are totally right that the talent of Mary and Danny is absolutely wasted there. Maybe their circa-2005 coverage works, maybe they're doing well traffic-wise, but boy is it laughable to turn on The Point and see it's being watched live by 200 people.

I think if Mary and/or Danny went to GB it would be like admitting defeat and make Gamespot look like the lesser of the two, I imagine CBSi has way more money and resources tied up into Gamespot. It will be interesting to see though as time goes on if that focus starts to shift to GB, not sure which is more profitable but I would think GB is if I had to guess, when you compare staff size, budget and other stuff.

This is entirely based of stuff I've gathered personally, as I don't have any data to back it up, just seems like a likely scenario to me.

danm999

Need a source on this pls

It's very important for my headcanons

I wanna say it was a Bombcast letter that asked why he doesn't, and he said that he just doesn't on camera, and Jason says he does definitely in the control room which kicked off a larger discussion about how the guys in general have been given liberty to swear more since the GameSpot days.

I'm trying to find it now.

I never hear Drew cuss.

!

I've been told that and I'm sure Drew and Danny are great, but I feel like the race talk would still put me to sleep.

It's like 40 percent F1 talk, which is fairly interesting in its own right once you get and idea of the racers. 20 percent Danny telling extremely interesting stories of F1 past, and the remainder shooting the shit about mostly European topics.

Alright, watching that RIGS demo. They couldn't even make the action of scoring in that game exciting on a stage demo. You just hop through the hoop. That seems...not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom