• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

So... they're not going to continue Phantasmagoria 2? Aww man, it was getting so good! Choose Our Own Adventure is the MGSV of Giant Bomb features.

i mean arent they going to post another thread and do the game people vote for? which I assume would be this

unless they add it to some kind of rotating playdate, one week of LiS, one week of Vinnyvania, one week of phantasmagoria

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really need to see the end of this game. It's a bad, corny FMV game. I get it. It was amusing for sure, but I'm good.

daydream

Banned
so, phantasmagoria 2 won, eh

can't get mad at that

wonder where this cyoa stuff will lead, though. on the one hand, you want the feature to be good, on the other hand, if it is good, people will continue to clamour for it once you move on

Wondering how Batman Arkhman Knight PC version is since it's re-release?

Courtesy of SalsaShark:
CleverDearestArabianhorse.gif

I AM THE NIGHT
Also all Steam reviews before today have been marked as pre-release.

Warn a brother!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It's not even a contest, and that's really saying something with Konami's MGSV shenanigans. This is just... holy fucking shit.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
and from a man so well versed in the art of Bat-Tech™ no less

Got some stiff competition
mlV0xX.gif

The difference is Batman has 2 version that a great and 1 that is totally fucked for a bunch of dumb reasons. Tony Hawk is just fucked in general and no one really expected anything other wise. I mean they just started selling the PC version today again and it's still a mess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The difference is Batman has 2 version that a great and 1 that is totally fucked for a bunch of dumb reasons. Tony Hawk is just fucked in general and no one really expected anything other wise. I mean they just started selling the PC version today again and it's still a mess.

The difference is though Batman Arkham Knight has a decent-great game buried underneath depending on how you feel. Tony Hawk could fix everything and it would still be an unfun, poorly thought up, rushed rip-off of a game.

It is a mess on the molecular level. It is conceptually and literally a mess.

The difference is though Batman Arkham Knight has a decent-great game buried underneath depending on how you feel. Tony Hawk could fix everything and it would still be an unfun, poorly thought up, rushed rip-off of a game.

The Batmobile stuff kills any chances of BAK being "great," even disregarding the PC-side mess. Ain't no one giving AK GotY awards this time around; the entire thing has been a pretty big non-event overall.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Batmobile stuff kills any chances of BAK being "great," even disregarding the PC-side mess. Ain't no one giving AK GotY awards this time around; the entire thing has been a pretty big non-event overall.

The Batmobile stuff is going to win hyperbole of the year. Outside of 2-3 missions, you will never have to do anything 'serious' with the Batmobile. The racing stuff only appears in ONE part of the story mode and the thing controls fine. At most it feels unnecessary.

As opposed to the god awful and necessary Witcher 3 horse.

You stated exactly why Tony Hawk should be most disappointing, the return of Tony Hawk Pro Skater was an unfun, poorly thought up, rushed rip-off of a game, how is that even possible? They took a series like Tony Hawk and drove it into the ground, which I think is more disappointing than a hot mess.

Batman on the other hand was an absolute mess in every way on PC, the way WB and Rocksteady handled the whole situation, having Iron Galaxy come in 3 months before release and try and push out a PC version, the Nvidia videos that were full on lies with sped up gameplay to make it look like it ran at 60fps, but the game had a 30fps lock. The fact that it was removed from Steam for months and just now re-releasing with a $10 price drop and still a $40 season pass. The game is still fucked, they just said W10 users should have at least 12GB or RAM if they want to avoid stuttering. I could go on, but I just don't see how anything could possibly be a hotter mess than this.

But everyones definition of what a hot mess is different, as it's an entirely subjective term.

Myggen

You stated exactly why Tony Hawk should be most disappointing, the return of Tony Hawk Pro Skater was an unfun, poorly thought up, rushed rip-off of a game, how is that even possible? They took a series like Tony Hawk and drove it into the ground, which I think is more disappointing than a hot mess.

Yeah, I'm willing to stretch the definition a bit when it comes to something like THPS5. It's one of my favourite franchises ever, so even if I thought it would be trash it's still fucking disappointing that this is probably the last THPS game we'll see. That series going out with such a turd of a game is disappointing as hell to me.

erawsd

The Batmobile stuff is going to win hyperbole of the year. Outside of 2-3 missions, you will never have to do anything 'serious' with the Batmobile. The racing stuff only appears in ONE part of the story mode and the thing controls fine. At most it feels unnecessary.

As opposed to the god awful and necessary Witcher 3 horse.

2-3 missions? Talk about hyperbole...

Lelcar

Yeah, I agree with this. And I also thought the Batmobile controlled fine, i never had problems with it. Also, Arkham Knight is the only game in the whole series where I actually collected the Riddler trophies, I dunno why, I just felt like they were quick and easy in this one. But yeah, Jeff is particular with controls, so it's not going to get any points with him. I think Brad likes it though, maybe Dan too.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Batmobile was dumb but the real problem is that these games have the worst open worlds in the history of gaming. Just giant empty wastes of time and money. So the Batmobile was a mediocre way to travel across a terrible environment. It all adds up to a bad impression left.

The worst part about the Batmobile wasn't the controls--which were OK--it was how binary a tool it was; you either had to use the Batmobile or you could not use it at all. So much of the game had be contrived to make the mechanic work. It makes you wonder how Batman got through four games without it, previously.

I really would've preferred that they do something else with all those dev resources, like doubling down on sidekicks or something. At the very least, it would let them focus on the mechanics that really worked--the predator and FreeFlow systems, primarily--and turn them into something even better than they already are.

Wondering how Batman Arkhman Knight PC version is since it's re-release?

Courtesy of SalsaShark:

Also all Steam reviews before today have been marked as pre-release.

Warn a brother!

What the fuck is going on, how can you release an even worse port after 4 extra months of development. It's also a nice that they decided to mark the old steam reviews as pre-release reviews.

Incoming 1/5 review for WWE?
What the fuck is going on, how can you release an even worse port after 4 extra months of development. It's also a nice that they decided to mark the old steam reviews as pre-release reviews.

Someone in the BAK returns thread(?) mentioned that returning a sub to active use (from being unsaleable) automatically marks reviews as pre-release. Find it hard to believe, but I don't know a thing about Steam's inner workings so I dunno.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I get that it's really subjective, but man I don't get how people defend the Batmobile. It ruined that game. I was fine with it in the first half of the game because it was fun and novel, but by the end of it you're in that fucking thing all the time, and worse - there are NO boss fights that don't involve the Batmobile. That Deathstroke "fight" is the funniest, saddest thing in that entire series. It's a real out-loud "are you fucking kidding me?" moment. Every story beat becomes contrived to fit the Batmobile somehow. I was glad when
it got destroyed, though I knew it would come back because it's an open-world game so of course it does.
It's just so NOT Batman. You're bombing around Gotham shooting fucking cannons at everything and zapping anyone out of the way at 50mph which would for sure kill them from kinetic force alone. And the combat isn't nearly as fun as the on-foot combat, and then they introduce Batmobile STEALTH? GTFO. Most disappointing for sure, although I saw it coming since the Batmobile was announced, I hated it from the word go. The only surprise was I actually enjoyed it a lot the first couple hours, until they just went all-in on that stupid thing.

How else is Batman supposed to fight without his batmobile? I mean, it's not like he's known as the most brilliant detective with an arsenal of gadgets and tools! Those unmanned Tank Drones can't be taken down by conventional means, like an EMP grenade or good ol' fooling it into crashing into other tanks, no he needs the batmobile!

Megasoum

Banned
Watching some Tested videos. It's so weird to see Tested without Will.

They have Frank Appolito and Jeremy Williams to stand in on the videos and Norm's fiance is the new hand model lol. I mean... It works just fine but it's weird without Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom