• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Well I don't mind a bad review really. Whatever. Diverse opinions is a good thing! I find positive feedback loops really weird too.

Agree with you here. I'd rather read a negative review of something I like. Sometimes bold and ambitious choices can rub people the wrong way.

Review threads are a plague on this forum, honestly.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Given how much of a tinderbox gaf has been lately with meltdowns everywhere (I swear the end of year makes people lose their mind), all I know is the review thread will be a special place.

I'm just glad I'm getting it for a grand total of $10. thanks for the double trade in credit Target!

This Fallout QL is making the game seem much more fun than any of the other footage I've seen did.

What a year for video games!

it literally sold me a copy. well, that and the reviews that explicitly say that it's not broken on launch. It's kind of weird how poor so much of the previews and early copy streams represented the game. plus it's $48 on gmg with the voucher.

I've been replaying some NV and getting super pissed off at quest markers and when Dan talked about the perk that just draws a damn line in VATS when you need it, I tabbed over to gmg and bought the damn thing.

You know, I was expecting the game to break at some point during the FO4 QL, but I didn't expect the PS4 to just go "nope fuck this disc fuck you." I guess that's why Jeff mentioned the eject thing on Twitter a couple days ago

Myggen

it literally sold me a copy. well, that and the reviews that explicitly say that it's not broken on launch. It's kind of weird how poor so much of the previews and early copy streams represented the game. plus it's $48 on gmg with the voucher.

The problem was that most of the pre release footage seemed to be leaked by people with early copies. Bethesda probably should've gotten ahead of that in a much bigger way than they did. On the other hand they might've calculated that it wouldn't affect sales much, so getting defensive about leaked footage might've not been worth it for them.

justjim89

The last day before a game you pre-loaded unlocks is fucking torture. Knowing that all the files are right here on my computer but I won't be able to play it until midnight suuuuuuuuucks.

The Fallout QL is great. Mr. Goodfeels.

Maybe this is a little bit of a dumb comment, but it seems like GBeast kind of gets screwed on the games they're given to review or play for content. It seems like Bakalar needs to be on the podcast just so they even have some kind of perspective to talk about recent big games. Just seems weird that west coast is doing all the big recent games especcially when there was all that talk over the weekend about it being too busy to do Extra Life.

Edit, Not really too busy to do EL, but it being a bad weekend for it because they were so busy.

Patryn

man, there is a lot of Fallout 4 threads on the gaming side right now. :D

All the better to rip it to shreds.

Fallout 4 has been, and will continue to be, crucified on GAF. The loudest voices are those of the detractors, and they will hear none of the talk about it being good.

I noticed in the review thread that someone posted a "Negative Review Excuse Checklist."

What they really should have posted is a "Positive Review Excuse Checklist."

Now, I'm not saying that it's everybody on GAF, but anyone who's been in a Fallout thread lately has to see that a large chunk of GAF is ready to call the game the Antichrist.

Teddified

FO4 does look like a fun game. But since I like to do things in "order" I wont be touching it until I eventually get around to playing New Vegas, and I've got plenty in my backlog already so I couldn't even tell you when I'd play that.

The problem was that most of the pre release footage seemed to be leaked by people with early copies. Bethesda probably should've gotten ahead of that in a much bigger way than they did. On the other hand they might've calculated that it wouldn't affect sales much, so getting defensive about leaked footage might've not been worth it for them.

yeah I don't think they felt like they had to sell it, even though I'm sure I'm not the only person out there who had to be convinced. and then when people did get ahold of it, the ones who were streaming it were doofuses who did a shitty job of playing the game on shady streaming sites. they should, at the very least, let a few well-regarded streamers do some limited coverage.

bah. I'm probably an edge case. I feel like pretty much everybody who is buying the game was already sold when they heard the words "Fallout 4."

game still kind of looks like shit

Myggen

Maybe this is a little bit of a dumb comment, but it seems like GBeast kind of gets screwed on the games they're given to review or play for content. It seems like Bakalar needs to be on the podcast just so they even have some kind of perspective to talk about recent big games. Just seems weird that west coast is doing all the big recent games especcially when there was all that talk over the weekend about it being too busy to do Extra Life.

Edit, Not really too busy to do EL, but it being a bad weekend for it because they were so busy.

I'm sure that's something they're aware of when they "assign" reviews and games to cover. It might just be that they take what interests them: Austin has always seemed to be more interested in indie games that do new, interesting (heh) things, while Alex covers some big games (Assassin's Creed) and some smaller games. Vinny isn't really "covering" games in the same way editors are.

Patryn

FO4 does look like a fun game. But since I like to do things in "order" I wont be touching it until I eventually get around to playing New Vegas, and I've got plenty in my backlog already so I couldn't even tell you when I'd play that.

I know you already know this, but you can think of New Vegas as being kind of a separate series.

There are basically 2 series in Fallout.

The West Coast series, which is the following:

Fallout 1 -> Fallout 2 -> Fallout: New Vegas

And the East Coast series, which is:

Fallout 3 -> Fallout 4

Beyond a vaguely similar setting and some similar factions, they honestly have little to do with one another.

I'm sure that's something they're aware of when they "assign" reviews and games to cover. It might just be that they take what interests them: Austin has always seemed to be more interested in indie games that do new, interesting (heh) things, while Alex covers some big games (Assassin's Creed) and some smaller games. Vinny isn't really "covering" games in the same way editors are.

I actually forgot about Assassins Creed entirely and that was just like last week, heh. I don't really expect them to be doing a bunch of reviews and stuff, but sometimes I'm just surprised they aren't just doing quick looks with some of them since someone on the west is doing the review, just so we get different perspectives or something. Just seems odd that everything see so West focused lately.

It's not really something I even care about that much but it seemed to jump out at me in the last Beastcast that they seem to rely on Bakalar a lot when it comes to a lot of the newer big games.

Patryn

I actually forgot about Assassins Creed entirely and that was just like last week, heh. I don't really expect them to be doing a bunch of reviews and stuff, but sometimes I'm just surprised they aren't just doing quick looks with some of them since someone on the west is doing the review, just so we get different perspectives or something. Just seems odd that everything see so West focused lately.

It's not really something I even care about that much but it seemed to jump out at me in the last Beastcast that they seem to rely on Bakalar a lot when it comes to a lot of the newer big games.

It could just be that the only get a single review copy, so while they can pass it around in the west coast office, they can't exactly loan it to the east coast.

Blastoise

Banned
I usually don't care for reviews. But I really like reading them for big releases. Was expecting a Fallout 4 review right as the embargo's lifted.

Patryn

I usually don't care for reviews. But I really like reading them for big releases. Was expecting a Fallout 4 review right as the embargo's lifted.

I'm sure there will be a review, but Jeff doesn't post a review until he feels that it's ready and he's played enough to write a fully informed one, even if that means he posts it a little late.

Myggen

Jeff said he probably wouldn't have it ready for release because of the size of the game and all the other stuff they have going on now.

daydream

Banned
I'm sure there will be a review, but Jeff doesn't post a review until he feels that it's ready and he's played enough to write a fully informed one, even if that means he posts it a little late.

please, clearly he's just lazy

i swear, people sometimes..

Embargoes are not deadlines. Giant Bomb is one of the few sites that seems to realize this. I always think it is beneficial for the writer to wait until they are happy publishing the content rather than running up against a publisher 's set date.

Patryn

Embargoes are not deadlines. Giant Bomb is one of the few sites that seems to realize this. I always think it is beneficial for the writer to wait until they are happy publishing the content rather than running up against a publisher 's set date.

The problem is that the hits on a review go down the further they hit from the embargo date.

Giant Bomb is in a great position where I suspect they make most of their business on the premium memberships and podcast advertising, so page views are much less important to them than it is for other sites.

Myggen

The problem is that the hits on a review go down the further they hit from the embargo date.

Giant Bomb is in a great position where I suspect they make most of their business on the premium memberships and podcast advertising, so page views are much less important to them than it is for other sites.

I think it was Jason from Kotaku who said that that was largely a myth, at least at Kotaku. Their data didn't show much difference whether the review was published when the embargo lifted or a few days after.

Herbs

Banned
I think it was Jason from Kotaku who said that that was largely a myth, at least at Kotaku. Their data didn't show much difference whether the review was published when the embargo lifted or a few days after.

makes sense. if you look to an outlet to read a review for a game and that's the one you go to, you are always going to be interested in seeing what they say.

popo

Today has that E3 feeling for me. In that here is a look at two games I hope to enjoy playing next year. Tomb Raider because I don't have a BONE and Fallout when modders have had a go at smoothing put some of the rougher edges. I am not sure I could go back to playing a Bethesda game with encumbrance not modded out.

Also advertising revenue for page hits alone is at rock bottom. It is still useful if you can point out something to the execs - look how much traffic we got off one review - but in terms of money it is no longer essential. A big youtube video would likely make more, and do more for your brand, these days.

Patryn

see, before I was hoping it wouldn't make the list so that it would piss people off, but now I think that it will piss people off when it does make the list, so GOOD

Yeah, I have to say that I was expecting that GAF would be negative about Fallout 4, but the level of negativity is amazing even me.

You'd think Bioware had made the game or something
/s

Yeah, I have to say that I was expecting that GAF would be negative about Fallout 4, but the level of negativity is amazing even me.

You'd think Bioware had made the game or something
/s

I mean, listen, I've had my fun shitting on the graphics and engine, but the amount of vitriol towards people who are actually enjoying playing the game is baffling.

people mad at other people because they're happy. not sure if it's more a sign of "nowadays" or "internet."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom