• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it seems like the PS4 game is even significantly better than the Xbox version

giphy.gif

The Xbox One version is the better because the framerate drops represent the fall of society and the collapse of the social norm, society isn't the same now so the framerate represents that uneasiness and fluctuation of that, giving only the Xbox One players time to contemplate the hubris of man in the atomic age by making parts of the game cinematic in their presentation.

kAmui-

These performance issues don't sound good at all. I expect a 3 star review but get a little giddy just thinking about the salt if it was 2 stars.

KingKong

it's really something that despite other reviewers acknowledging these issues, they're still giving it 9+s. You'd think constantly running sub 30 fps and just feeling bad to play would be a bigger concern

These performance issues don't sound good at all. I expect a 3 star review but get a little giddy just thinking about the salt if it was 2 stars.

are you inferring that much from a tweet

in the QL when Brad asked him about the framerate he didn't mind it that much

No chance its a 2. Sounds like a hard 3 based on his comments.

Nah, Jeff is going in on Mixlr right now and he says the framerate at the end is really bad compared to the QL.

kAmui-

Just to make it clear, I know it's not gonna be 2 stars. Of course not. But based on what he's saying on the mixlr stream it starting to sound more like 3 stars than 4. But just think about it!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Mixlr quotes:

"I feel like smooth framerates should not...I guess, smoother...oh man, it gets so bad in some spots"

"It gets so low that at some point it gets hard to shoot things and that's a bad place to be"

I'm glad that Jeff is still bothered by the performance and the jank, I feel like most people have just accepted this as the norm for Bethesda games and just shrug at it.

Mixlr

Mixlr quotes:

"I feel like smooth framerates should not...I guess, smoother...oh man, it gets so bad in some spots"

"It gets so low that at some point it gets hard to shoot things and that's a bad place to be"

oooh, weird.

I wonder if that's related to the save file bloating up?

Good news Witcher fans. It's looking more and more likely that it might sneak into the top 10. Number one is still only in play for MGSV and Mario Maker.

The frame rate is worse indoors compared to outdoors, which is super weird. I only got to play the first 20 mins of the game on PC, but even there compared to how it looks it doesn't perform especially well. Jeff sounded really exited in the quick look I wonder if there's a problem with the save file getting too big like it was on the PS3.

klonere

Banned
i'm probably going to play and enjoy F4 sometime in the next year or so but I still want to see a 2 star review from Jeff to see the explosion of salt.

Zaph

"It's still a game where you're talking to an AI guy and another AI guy walks up and says 'Hey, what's up?'. It's still that game." - Jeff Gerstmann, 2015

?
/5 stars

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
When 3 sold so well and Elder Scrolls continues to do great business, it is not acceptable for Bethesda to have these problems. For a smaller developer or someone new to that scale of game or someone trying something ambitious you can cut some slack. But here, not so much. Especially after they included the name DEAG

These are comments Jeff is making right now on Mixlr. He is really tearing into the game about performance and now the untouched jankiness of these games in general. I think Jeff is coming to this game the same way I am. I had a grand vision of something more ambitious when it came to fixing the prevalent issues and limitations of the previous games. In the end, the framework and baggage that comes with it remains almost completely unchanged.

Dineren

Banned
The QL sold me on FO4. I'll probably regret it since I didn't like 3 at all (I even tried to go back and play it this weekend and ended up playing Skyrim a bunch instead during extra life), but if the shooting is better maybe that will end up being the difference.

Have most of Jeff's issues been performance based? I'm going to play on a pretty high end PC so I'm not that concerned about performance, but I still have bad memories of the thieves guilds storyline breaking twice (fixed one issue via the console, the second time it was just broken permanently) during my first playthrough of Skyrim which always make me nervous about playing their games on release.

I'm kind of enjoying the console drama, I guess some people were switching their orders to XBO, and then Digital Foundry just kicked sand all over that idea? fantastic

Myggen

The QL sold me on FO4. I'll probably regret it since I didn't like 3 at all (I even tried to go back and play it this weekend and ended up playing Skyrim a bunch instead during extra life), but if the shooting is better maybe that will end up being the difference.

Have most of Jeff's issues been performance based? I'm going to play on a pretty high end PC so I'm not that concerned about performance, but I still have bad memories of the thieves guilds storyline breaking twice (fixed one issue via the console, the second time it was just broken permanently) during my first playthrough of Skyrim which always make me nervous about playing their games on release.

The most damning issue for him seems to be performance, yeah. So you should avoid that playing on PC.

AngryMoth

I feel like I'm probably not going to like fallout since I didn't enjoy 3 but I'm buying anyway out of optimism after seeing the review scores and because I really liked Skyrim. And also I just really need something to play.

For Jeff, it seems that the passes Bethesda have frequently received have run out when it comes to the compromises made to make the games that they make. When the compromises are pretty much the same now as they were before, even on a completely new, much more capable hardware baseline. The game still has those same quirks that are harder and harder to look past and the excuses are harder to accept.

tuxfool

Banned
When 3 sold so well and Elder Scrolls continues to do great business, it is not acceptable for Bethesda to have these problems. For a smaller developer or someone new to that scale of game or someone trying something ambitious you can cut some slack. But here, not so much. Especially after they included the name DEAG

From the looks of it they just created another FO3. They iterated on the design, but didn't change it massively. They're using pretty much the same engine that they have used in the past 10 years. One would think that they would have a grip on it by now.

Their games are different from all other games, but when comparing to their usual output, I don't see how this could be considered ambitious for Bethesda.

New Vegas was ambitious. Too bad we aren't getting more of that.

Myggen

it'll get zero stars and the review is going to be a video of Jeff making armpit farts for five minutes.

Haha.

It feels like my life took a wrong turn somewhere when I get excited about reading a review thread with as much drama as the Fallout 4 one. Now people are going in there to stir up some shit by dropping Jeff's Mixlr quotes, haha.

The game comes out in less than 24 hours, and every time i see a video of Fallout 4 I can't shake the feeling that it doesn't seem like a real video game.

You know what the graphics remind me of? Fucking...Reboot. That 3d CG cartoon. The game just looks like it's some prerendered CG stuff. Everything is so smooth and fake looking.

For Jeff, it seems that the passes Bethesda have frequently received have run out when it comes to the compromises made to make the games that they make. When the compromises are pretty much the same now as they were before, even on a completely new, much more capable hardware baseline, the game still has those same quirks that are harder and harder to look past.

Yup. Seems like when you look at MGSV from a pure technical standpoint in terms of frame rate and fluidity of animations in an open world versus FO4, its harder to be apologetic towards its issues.

Haha.

It feels like my life took a wrong turn somewhere when I get excited about reading a review thread with as much drama as the Fallout 4 one. Now people are going in there to stir up some shit by dropping Jeff's Mixlr quotes, haha.

;)

Protome

I only watched the first few minutes of the FO4 quick look but do they say if the base building stuff is optional or not?

I like Bethesda games as dumb "turn off your brain and walk around hitting things" games and the base building shit looks like the most boring thing imaginable.

Jeff is disappointed that the game isn't better than it was after being excited for it, but "the shooting feels good though."

Looks like FO4 is beating out Witcher for #10!

Patryn

Watch the Bombcast be full of negative points about Fallout 4.

Then...

4/5.

Although at this point I'm convinced it'll be a 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom