• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am scared...

dfF6gr9.jpg

image.php

I'm glad he chose SMW, it's artstyle really pops in HD. Looks fucking gorgeous on the big screen and I ain't gonna even attempt to beat the level unless I'm in the mood to retry alot.

Based on my few early attempts, the level is a spike filled, music block filled, ice block filled hell. And that is just the first few sections. It seems to be everything Patrick hated on his streams.

People didn't like UPF?
I think this is the best one for at least 3 weeks

I like/love all UPF's because it's the time where the guys get to kick back, relax and do whatever they want as well as talk about whatever. Them trying too hard to entertain is not the point and charm of UPF, imo.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I bought Mario Maker just to play Dan's levels (well, not JUST but mainly because)
I have 95% of the achievments in Super Meat Boy. Bring it Dan. BRING IT

daydream

Banned
t-90 to wooly yoshisaurus koopalingus

the game is brilliant, also one of the best coop experiences on wiiu which is saying a lot

So, at least the early part of Dan's level seems to involve navigating the level (music blocks, fire, ice blocks, spikes) without picking up a huge number coins WITH Yoshi. Once you get near the end, you use Yoshi to double dump to unlock a P-Block. You then desert poor Yoshi, and carry the P-Block back through the level to a block that contains a Super Star. You grab the Star, and then use the P-block to turn the coins (that you hopefully did not pick up) into blocks to get access to an area that contains a POW Block. However, the POW-Block is surrounded by spikes, so you have to move quickly (over music blocks and ices blocks) to get back there in time or Mario will not be able to gain access or get out if he is not invincible. Once you do all this, you have a Pow Block to use on something, but I have no idea what.

So is the level mostly bullshit or is there actually some element of thought in the puzzle/level design?

It seems well thought out, as the early part of the level make you traverse the span of the level with Yoshi to get access to an item. It is very easy to lose Yoshi on the way there dues to spikes and fireballs. If you get there with Yoshi, you gain access to another item, and you must go back through the whole level again with it. It is possible to ruin the early part of the level by picking up too many coins, so precision is demanded too. There is also a timed part you have to do with a star. Speed + precision!

I have no idea how worse it is going to get, but the part of the level I am seeing now seems very possible with practice and luck. No random crap to ruin things yet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It seems well thought out, as the early part of the level make you traverse the span of the level with Yoshi to get access to an item. It is very easy to lose Yoshi on the way there dues to spikes and fireballs. If you get there with Yoshi, you gain access to another item, and you must go back through the whole level again with it. It is possible to ruin the early part of the level by picking up too many coins, so precision is demanded too. There is also a timed part you have to do with a star. Speed + precision!

I have no idea how worse it is going to get, but the part of the level I am seeing now seems very possible with practice and luck. No random crap to ruin things yet.

Good to see that dirty dan still has a sense of code in him. A sense of pride.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is Patrick allowed to watch other people play it and/or get hints?

Because some people will beat it before him.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

Dan said he'd rather he didn't. I think scoopadoop wouldn't anyway.

Lijik

in his promo, Dan said while he had no way of enforcing it he'd rather Patrick play the level as blind as possible without the help of others

Largo

I should really take Myggen's advice and stay off the internet late at night. I like, posted on GAF a bunch, and somehow tried to get John Drake involved in the Ryckert/Klepek feud on twitter in a nonsensical fashion?

Myggen

I should really take Myggen's advice and stay off the internet late at night. I like, posted on GAF a bunch, and somehow tried to get John Drake involved in the Ryckert/Klepek feud on twitter in a nonsensical fashion?

Haha, yeah, I'm going out tonight and hope I'm able to take my own advice. Always a bad idea to open GAF on the phone after 10pm when alcohol is involved. Except the drunk thread, that's safe.

Fantastapotamus

I feel like I don't play enough Mario. I made it to the part with a flying skeleton and two doors in the sky but I don't know how to enter doors in the air. I made it with Yoshi and that Power thing but I don't know what to do now. I also found a trampoline there but that doesn't seem to help. I found a couple of pipes but they all just led to my doom. Without spoiling anything: Any tips here?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
After watching that, I have faith pat will get it done within the time limit.

Largo

Haha, yeah, I'm going out tonight and hope I'm able to take my own advice. Always a bad idea to open GAF on the phone after 10pm when alcohol is involved. Except the drunk thread, that's safe.

Well, I got John Drake to tweet back at me, so I guess there's that?

Myggen

Well, I got John Drake to tweet back at me, so I guess there's that?

Yeah, that's something!

A general question: Why is there so many mattress ads on podcasts? I'm listening to the most recent Bill Simmons podcast, and he has another mattress company doing ads that I've never heard of.

Largo

Watching that video, I'm wondering if Patrick's 'explore every dumb thing I find' methodology will make things worse. Maybe not, since he does those runs really fast, but WHO KNOWS.

Strax

Man this Jackbox game seems kind of...shit? Everything that isn't Fibbage or Quiplash seems terrible.

I wonder how many questions Fibbage has this time. Its a great concept but I played like 5-6 games with my friends and having questions repeating after that is really poor.

Fantastapotamus

I was going about this the wrong way...

I don't think Dan intended for Yoshi to be able to grab POW through the spikes.

Oh wow yeah. Now that you mention it it really doesn't seem like that. I was wondering why all that extra shit is in the level. Haha, anyway I found the solution. That's devilish. Fun level though.
How do you take screenshots for the Miiverse thing?

Scizzy

I was going about this the wrong way...

I don't think Dan intended for Yoshi to be able to grab POW through the spikes.

Yeah, Dan must have overlooked that. That run makes the level look tough, but I can't imagine that solution taking Dan several hours to pull off.

Largo

Yeah, Dan must have overlooked that. That run makes the level look tough, but I can't imagine that solution taking Dan several hours to pull off.

Plus Patrick is really good at finding those sort of hacks. Well, usually. Someone's out a hundred bucks either way.

Volotaire

I'm glad I didn't catch UPF live because of the audio problems. I'm quite disappointed with how the Jackbox Party Pack 2 has turned out.

Lijik

Plus Patrick is really good at finding those sort of hacks. Well, usually. Someone's out a hundred bucks either way.

Patrick's try everything method is either going to lead to him never figuring that out or figuring it out day 1. booking it now.
EDIT- well there it is.

killroy87

People didn't like UPF?
I think this is the best one for at least 3 weeks

Only because Jackbox can be torture to watch, especially after the initial excitement about it is gone. The games are paced so poorly, they're meant for playing, not watching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom