• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
9S0gdvz.png

I'm looking for some mgsv mods, and what>?
he..
!!!!

kAmui-

What the hell is this. I started watching the latest MGScanlon episode and just then realised that I haven't even finished the previous one.

"I piss 500G through my penis" is a real quote from Mr. Jeffrey Gerstmann

I watched that video two days ago and it's still as funny as it ever was.

Blastoise

Banned
Whatever.

I just wanted Drew to use his own head. I feel like even though Dan tells Drew to do his own thing. Drew still ends up doing it Dans way (if that makes sense).

It would've been good to watch Drew play this himself. Even if it ends up being 200 episodes. Drew seems like he wants to finish the game asap.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, he's been on record saying that he dislikes open worlds due to how aimless it feels and that he was unsure about the open world aspect of V, so I don't think him wanting to finish the game ASAP is something dan is influencing.

Blastoise

Banned
Dan's just influencing his play style.

Drew's the one that wants the game done quick. I mean he's a busy man. Him and Dan put out way more content than Brad and Jeff.

But whatever I'm just being nit picky.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dan's just influencing his play style.

Drew's the one that wants the game done quick. I mean he's a busy man. Him and Dan put out way more content than Brad and Jeff.

But whatever I'm just being nit picky.

Nah that's fine, I also agree even if I don't really mind it, I just find the comment funny because talking about how Dan is influencing Drew's life sounds like something my mom would say.

That guy's a bad influence etc. Etc.

demidar

Nah that's fine, I also agree even if I don't really mind it, I just find the comment funny because talking about how Dan is influencing Drew's life sounds like something my mom would say.

That guy's a bad influence etc. Etc.

Did you just imply your mum is a bad influence?

Blastoise

Banned
Dan's influence on Giant Bomb has been great. I was being playful.

Anyway, they were talking about how good Saving Pvt Ryan was in MGS. I wish they would do a Film and 40's with that movie.

kiyomi

I'M so close to stop playing MGSV myself and just watch Drew do it. Seems way more fun.

The game is way more fun to play than it is to watch because you know the options that you have, whereas watching someone who doesn't have a good grasp of what's happening can be frustrating.

I'm in the camp of wishing Drew used his brain a little more, but this has been the most entertaining MGS to date because Drew actually seems to be having fun most of the time. Dan is Dan, aka a Cardboard Box.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The game is way more fun to play than it is to watch because you know the options that you have, whereas watching someone who doesn't have a good grasp of what's happening can be frustrating.

I'm in the camp of wishing Drew used his brain a little more, but this has been the most entertaining MGS to date because Drew actually seems to be having fun most of the time. Dan is Dan, aka a Cardboard Box.

But I'm not really having fun playing it. :/ I just find it tedious. It doesn't work for me.

Most of the missions might as well be randomly generated. And the rest...well that's kinda on me, I admit that. I want to play the game as a Stealth game because I love Stealth games. But then the mission throws me on one side of the map and expects me to get to the other side. So I can either haul ass and probably get spotted along the way or take my time and run through an empty area for 15 minutes. I just don't think the open world approach works for a stealth game.

I wish Drew listened to tapes more.

And they put auto play on instead of doing 1 at a time. Its real easy to just bang a bunch of tapes out that way.

kiyomi

But I'm not really having fun playing it. :/ I just find it tedious. It doesn't work for me.

Most of the missions might as well be randomly generated. And the rest...well that's kinda on me, I admit that. I want to play the game as a Stealth game because I love Stealth games. But then the mission throws me on one side of the map and expects me to get to the other side. So I can either haul ass and probably get spotted along the way or take my time and run through an empty area for 15 minutes. I just don't think the open world approach works for a stealth game.
I guess I just found the open world really worked well for my own brand of stealth because it allowed me to approach bases how I wanted, and the toolset lets you be sufficiently creative to where it doesn't get overly repetitive. If you're not enjoying it though then that's that.

Chaotic when used wrongly but gets you out of a tight spot in the end?

"... it's just a Ryckert."

ArjanN

Whatever.

I just wanted Drew to use his own head. I feel like even though Dan tells Drew to do his own thing. Drew still ends up doing it Dans way (if that makes sense).

It would've been good to watch Drew play this himself. Even if it ends up being 200 episodes. Drew seems like he wants to finish the game asap.

I kinda feel Drew would play the same way if Dan wasn't there. Maybe he would take his time more if he wasn't streaming it but even then I doubt it, given how he basically brute forced his way through the other games.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I guess I just found the open world really worked well for my own brand of stealth because it allowed me to approach bases how I wanted, and the toolset lets you be sufficiently creative to where it doesn't get overly repetitive. If you're not enjoying it though then that's that.

Yeah, I'm just ruining the game for myself most of the time. I'm too pedantic for it. But I can't help it.

I wish Drew listened to tapes more.

And they put auto play on instead of doing 1 at a time. Its real easy to just bang a bunch of tapes out that way.

My suggestion has always been that Drew plays the side ops + listen to the tapes at home and then he'd come back for the next episode, do a small debriefing about what he heard and did then starts continuing on the main story missions.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
My suggestion has always been that Drew plays the side ops + listen to the tapes at home and then he'd come back for the next episode, do a small debriefing about what he heard and did then starts continuing on the main story missions.

I agree but I think Drew doesn't actually want to do the Side Ops at all. Like, he's extremely reluctant and basically had to be forced to do one to get the med bay cut scene. Plus he said himself "I'd rather just get on with it" and has said he doesn't like open-world games because he becomes paralyzed with indecision. He doesn't even wanna stop to Fulton dudes that aren't on the critical path. I think he's having a good time but it seems to be in spite of the game's open world format and structure, whereas that's very much what I enjoyed about, up to a point (there are way too many Side Ops with the same objectives)

I agree but I think Drew doesn't actually want to do the Side Ops at all. Like, he's extremely reluctant and basically had to be forced to do one to get the med bay cut scene. Plus he said himself "I'd rather just get on with it" and has said he doesn't like open-world games because he becomes paralyzed with indecision. He doesn't even wanna stop to Fulton dudes that aren't on the critical path. I think he's having a good time but it seems to be in spite of the game's open world format and structure, whereas that's very much what I enjoyed about, up to a point (there are way too many Side Ops with the same objectives)

Well, since he can't do the story missions at home because we want to see him go through it, his only choice is to play side-ops. This will have many benefits later down the road for him in terms of the equipment he can chose to develop aside from that he can listen and digest what he heard from the tapes so he could talk about it with Dan when he's recording.

Overall though, I can tell he's enjoying the game alot as any sane person should. Everything just feels great to do in the game.

danm999

Most side ops are pretty boring really. Eliminated armoured units for the umpteenth time is pretty tedious. Looking back I really wish someone told me to just do the Wandering Motherbase Soldier and translator ones and leave it at that.

erawsd

Most side ops are pretty boring really. Eliminated armoured units for the umpteenth time is pretty tedious. Looking back I really wish someone told me to just do the Wandering Motherbase Soldier and translator ones and leave it at that.

Yeah, with few exceptions, the side ops are pretty much this game's version of the "fetch quest". Its just straight up padding. I can totally understand Drew not wanting to do them on camera or in his own time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom