• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
I like this guy's cantor. Great watch so far, just hitting 2's dlc.

I never played any FEAR games. Should I try the first?

Give FEAR a go. It won't be too expensive. It is still one of the better examples of AI working well in concert with level design.

*Saying that depresses me a tad.

You know, despite the hate they got, I think that Twisted Metal 3 and 4 are pretty awesome games. Especially Twisted Metal 4, that game was the bomb.

....When I was a kid, my brother let his friend borrow TM4, and that asshole lost it. So he gave me Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on the Dreamcast.

.............I was so pissed off. I kept the copy(And then I sold it for 20 bucks, hell yeah) and got another copy of TM4.

You know, despite the hate they got, I think that Twisted Metal 3 and 4 are pretty awesome games. Especially Twisted Metal 4, that game was the bomb.

....When I was a kid, my brother let his friend borrow TM4, and that asshole lost it. So he gave me Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on the Dreamcast.

.............I was so pissed off. I kept the copy(And then I sold it for 20 bucks, hell yeah) and got another copy of TM4.

3 was trash

4 was good in spite of rob zombie

justjim89

I played all 3 Max Payne's in a calendar year, and I think 3 might be my favorite. Although I was really bummed how they dismissed all the development of Max's arc with Mona in a single line of dialogue.

Alan Wake is an excellent game. And the part that a lot of people seemed to dislike, the combat, I always found enjoyable. The enemies do a good job of trying to get behind you, so it becomes a game of positioning to make sure you can keep all enemies on screen when managing crowds.

This is where I alienate myself and say I couldn't stand Alan Wake. I tried to play it again recently on pc and just couldn't put up with it.

Alan Wake came out at a time when I had just watched a ton of Lost and read a ton of Stephen King so of course I was gonna love that game.

I think the radio clips were my favorite part.

I'm pretty excited for Austin Walker to fight for Xenoblade Chronicles X as GOTY
I don't know, game seems kind of disappointing. Even more mmo tasks than Xenoblade and less charm. Almost zero cities out in the wilderness and so on. Very pretty though and hopefully the impressions I've read are on the harsher side and I still enjoy it.

After all, there are crazy people here who don't like Max Payne 3!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Did he like the original xenoblade?

Been playing it on the 3ds and eh, it's OK. Wouldn't say it's super amazing as I've heard from others but it's still a fun game.

I totally understand what people didn't like about Alan Wake's combat. There was just too much of it. The secret best way to play the game is on Nightmare difficulty, where you quickly learn to run from most engagements instead of fight them out. It makes the game much more well-paced.

The thing about Alan Wake that makes me love it so much, though, is the world. The late-night radio show did was super nostalgic for me as someone who grew up in the Pacific Northwest listening to Coast to Coast AM. I fucking love that game.

danm999

I totally understand what people didn't like about Alan Wake's combat. There was just too much of it. The secret best way to play the game is on Nightmare difficulty, where you quickly learn to run from most engagements instead of fight them out. It makes the game much more well-paced.

The thing about Alan Wake that makes me love it so much, though, is the world. The late-night radio show did was super nostalgic for me as someone who grew up in the Pacific Northwest listening to Coast to Coast AM. I fucking love that game.

Problem is you can't unlock Nightmare mode until you beat the game. And locking collectibles behind that mode too is absolutely infuriating game design.

Problem is you can't unlock Nightmare mode until you beat the game. And locking collectibles behind that mode too is absolutely infuriating game design.

Yeah those are both bad design decisions. The collectibles in general encourage the player to experience that world in the worst way.

But maaaan, when you're running from the police and you see their flashlights in the mist and watch as they get picked off one by one throughout the episode... just so well done. I also like that there is still mystery in that world. They over-explained "the dark place" a bit, but there's a lot more going on that I hope AW2 someday gets to explore.

danm999

Yeah those are both bad design decisions. The collectibles in general encourage the player to experience that world in the worst way.

But maaaan, when you're running from the police and you see their flashlights in the mist and watch as they get picked off one by one throughout the episode... just so well done. I also like that there is still mystery in that world. They over-explained "the dark place" a bit, but there's a lot more going on that I hope AW2 someday gets to explore.

I did enjoy a ton about that game now that I come to think on it. And there were some really cool moments and set pieces (the rock stage for instance, or the power plant).

But it seemed like it was having an identity crisis at times probably due to being in development for so long and the implementation of collectables are like number one with a bullet evidence of that.

If you play the true
pc
version it's available from the start.

Is it? I played it on the PC and seem to remember not being able to do this.

Yes, it's always been that way with the pc version. It was one of the original bullet points for the release.

I just finished my first playthrough of the pc version of Alan Wake on nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom