• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
gxY9L.png

Hey Patrick! One hour, fifty five minutes until you diiie!

Dan's latest Mario level is literally imposable to beat unless you look at it in a editor or are Dan and made it yourself. Its a really bad level with no logical direction. Its a bunch of back tracking and awkward tasks you wouldnt know you need to do unless you got told.

Good look Patrick.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Let's go Klepek
*klep* *klep*, *klep* *klep* *klep*

Tubobutts

I'm still mad at Patrick for lying about Crusader Kings, but Dan is a terrible vaguely human shaped pile of nacho cheese so I would like both of them to fail if possible.

Patryn

My heart is Team Patrick, but I don't see how he's going to solve it in three days.

Especially if he sticks to his pattern of only playing for an hour or so each day.

Heimbeck

Banned
My heart is Team Patrick, but I don't see how he's going to solve it in three days.

Especially if he sticks to his pattern of only playing for an hour or so each day.

Maybe him losing $100 would make him want to play a bit more, but Dan is very competitive and I don't think he would set this up if he didn't think he had a good chance of winning.

Kelas

If we all hold hands under the wishing tree and believe real hard, Klepek will succeed.

Curufinwe

Most side ops are pretty boring really. Eliminated armoured units for the umpteenth time is pretty tedious. Looking back I really wish someone told me to just do the Wandering Motherbase Soldier and translator ones and leave it at that.

The Legendary Gunsmith side-ops are just as important. Getting a silenced sniper rifle makes the game a lot more fun.

Patryn

Maybe him losing $100 would make him want to play a bit more, but Dan is very competitive and I don't think he would set this up if he didn't think he had a good chance of winning.

All my reasoning hinges on Patrick
never figuring out either how to get access to the spring, or how to utilize the spring and the POW block combination. That's basically the crux of the level.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The Legendary Gunsmith side-ops are just as important. Getting a silenced sniper rifle makes the game a lot more fun.

Yup. The larger point he's getting at is that there are maybe like a dozen or two Side Ops actually worth doing and the rest are just copy-paste jobs that may be worth doing for the rewards. I mean I still enjoyed most of my time doing them because the game is just fun to play but around my 12th armored combat unit and 15th tank unit I decided to stop doing them.

Patryn

Yup. The larger point he's getting at is that there are maybe like a dozen or two Side Ops actually worth doing and the rest are just copy-paste jobs that may be worth doing for the rewards. I mean I still enjoyed most of my time doing them because the game is just fun to play but around my 12th armored combat unit and 15th tank unit I decided to stop doing them.

I haven't played MGSV, but that sounds a bit like Mass Effect 1 honestly, in terms of the side quests being repetitive.

And given that I enjoy 100 percenting Mass Effect, I can understand why people would still play them.

Heimbeck

Banned
I haven't played MGSV, but that sounds a bit like Mass Effect 1 honestly, in terms of the side quests being repetitive.

And given that I enjoy 100 percenting Mass Effect, I can understand why people would still play them.

I think there's more side ops stuff in MGS V than in Mass Effect, plus in ME most of the side stuff has some kind of story to them.

Haunted

Dan's latest Mario level is literally imposable to beat unless you look at it in a editor or are Dan and made it yourself. Its a really bad level with no logical direction. Its a bunch of back tracking and awkward tasks you wouldnt know you need to do unless you got told.

Good look Patrick.
I'm sure he has already received plenty of unsolicited help and hints on twitter, tumblr etc.

That doesnt sound fun, that sounds gamebreaking.

Hardly. It takes about 6 seconds for the mortars to start flying to your position.

Idk. I don't agree about the side ops being super repetitive. I've done them all and the location/enemy type variation alone makes them new enough to me.

Kelas

The latter armored unit sideops actually look like they would have been fun and challenging if I had the self-restraint not to invisible sprint through them to victory.

danm999

Ah true. That thing was probably my most used weapon by the end.

That was like, three side ops though. Some of those useless ones had like 15 iterations I seem to remember.

Haunted

I think Mass Effect had like 30-40 of these sidequests.

MGSV has 150 sideops. 130 of which are basically repeats.

You can, of course, approach them differently to spice it up and there's a bit of difference in terms of locations. But honestly, even hardcore MGS fans concede that there's a ton of repetition and not a lot to praise for that design setup.

danm999

I actually don't think the main mission design was all that amazing in MGSV in terms of objectives either. It was also rather repetitive.

But I enjoyed the mechanics and most of the level design so much it didn't matter. They're so good.

Nero18

I just played the main missions first and only started digging deeper into side ops by chapter 2 and as the final credits rolled. Prefer to save something for when i want to come back to the game later one, was never underpowered or anything like that. Considering the amount of cutscenes i would almost say this is the optimal way to play this game. Even though its all subjective.

Haunted

To be fair, the Side Ops in MGSV are much quciker than the Side Missions in ME, plus MGSV's core gameplay is a thousand times better.
True, though Mass Effect kinda makes up for it with the excellent Mako traversal and unique route to the quest locations on the various planets, which also have beautiful vistas most of the time. There's a real element of exploration and discovery to many of these trips which you don't get on the chopper flying to pretty samey locations you've already seen a dozen times before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom