• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm torn because I appreciate the triumph of human will, but I also appreciate being a total monster to other people in video games.

so as the tiebreaker, I like Dan's charity more so, suck it Kelptok

DamnBoxes

#TeamRyckert #GetFuckedChicago

I want to see Patrick crumble.

tumblr_mzwujunWJm1qb94mio1_250.gif

#TeamRyckert

repeater

#TeamKlepek all the way on this one

A question about Mario Maker: why does the player have to manually restart the level through the pause menu when they die? In light of how many trollishly difficult levels people seem to be creating, I feel like the game should just auto-restart you instantly at the beginning of the level, Meat Boy style.

Nero18

A question about Mario Maker: why does the player have to manually restart the level through the pause menu when they die? In light of how many trollishly difficult levels people seem to be creating, I feel like the game should just auto-restart you instantly at the beginning of the level, Meat Boy style.

Think it does, its just faster to manually do it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It does, you just have to wait for the death jingle and it takes longer than restarting manually.

it will restart, but people don't like waiting

repeater

Think it does, its just faster to manually do it.

It does, you just have to wait for the death jingle and it takes longer than restarting manually.

it will restart, but people don't like waiting
That seems like a misguided design decision, but maybe that's because I've basically only been watching people playing Dan's hell levels rather than anything sane, where a 2-second jingle before restart wouldn't be as maddening.

so I'm guessing that because of the way the coins are laid out at the bottom, and the locations of the feather and star, there's a p-block somewhere that will change those into a runway where you fly up and to the left?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Ha, he's already having a hard time. Did Dan upload a video of himself completing it?

No, somebody posted a video of a player who worked his way backwards after downloading the level. To get to the finish he just ignored most of what happens and followed a specific path.

edit:

For example:
That pipe with the ice blocks (which you can destroy) covering it? Entirely irrelevant to the level...as is the entire sub world he's in now

Dan's in chat mostly laughing at Patrick doing the wrong thing. He says he spent close to 20 hours making this level.

Nero18

That seems like a misguided design decision, but maybe that's because I've basically only been watching people playing Dan's hell levels rather than anything sane, where a 2-second jingle before restart wouldn't be as maddening.

Think most people feel the same way, at the very least there should some sort of option in the menus.

I'm starting to see the underlying logic in this level, and if it plays out the way I think it does, it's pretty clever. and patrick's coin collection is going to be his undoing.

e: dude, you can totally fly on all these platforms he doesn't think he can fly off of. git gud

mattp

I don't think so either. It's not difficult in a cleverly-engineered-puzzle kind of way, it's just illogical and obfuscated. It's a great example of bad game design.

yup
which is the exact thing dan was going for
he knew what he was doing
and he did it masterfully

sorry, patrick. you're fucked

mattp

he's playing this like its a "regular" level
i feel like if dan could give him a "hint" after he flounders for 2 days and just tell him every powerup in this stage is placed there for a reason and not to just pick shit up until he knows what its used for

even with that, he'll never figure it out, though lol

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Will Patrick ever realize he shouldn't be getting all these coins? He's not even close to the point where it will matter, though.

Yeah he's still hours off from even getting to that point. He keeps grabbing the star too. I wouldn't hold out much hope for him figuring this out without going into the editor.

repeater

he's playing this like its a "regular" level
i feel like if dan could give him a "hint" after he flounders for 2 days and just tell him every powerup in this stage is placed there for a reason and not to just pick shit up until he knows what its used for

even with that, he'll never figure it out, though lol
I don't think it's exactly fair to blame him for not realising that. Both Dan's previous Giant Bomb levels have been shock full of powerups that were just misdirection and/or there for the sake of trolling. Patrick has no good reason whatsoever at this point to suspect that the same wouldn't go for this level too.

Bacon

I really feel like there is absolutely no chance Patrick can finish this without outside help. Like literally 0% chance

I enjoy watching this, but I really prefer watching playthroughs of well-designed levels as opposed to Dan's sort of "lol random" schtick. It's the same sort of gimmicky stuff he said he wasn't interested in.

It's all good fun, though.

Yeah he's still hours off from even getting to that point. He keeps grabbing the star too. I wouldn't hold out much hope for him figuring this out without going into the editor.

Ooh yeah, I forgot that's needed later. I'm glad I watched the video of it being completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom