• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in a banking company that inexplicably doesn't shut down on all banking holidays but everybody except me was smart enough to just take the day off today.

I like days like this. Boss took the day off, so that's more time for me to sit at my desk watching Giant Bomb videos. Also, I didn't wear slacks today so that's another win.

Yes, he still made the level.

If someone else were telling Dan the exact elements and where to place them, but Dan physically had the controller and did it, would Dan still have "made the level"? Not an accurate comparison, I know, but where does one draw the line? This is serious business.

OkayRene

Fairly new GB member here…Isn't Windjammers like a 20 year old game? What's made it relevant in the last year or two that has them always talking about it or playing it all the time?

patapuf

Dan's a heel. All you need to know.

Yep, this is the whole point of patric being "the good guy". If he makes as much progress tomorrow as he does today i don't mind if he looks at the editor.

He should at least have a shot at beating the level.

repeater

Jintor said:
Dan's a heel. All you need to know.
This reminds me: next OP should contain a concise wrestling dictionary that contains all the terminology needed to understand GB or talk about GB nowadays.

DamnBoxes

Fairly new GB member here…Isn't Windjammers like a 20 year old game? What's made it relevant in the last year or two that has them always talking about it or playing it all the time?

That shit's timeless man. TIMELESS.

windjammers_by_realghostvids-d6tyt55.gif

Frith

Yep, this is the whole point of patric being "the good guy". If he makes as much progress tomorrow as he does today i don't mind if he looks at the editor.

He should at least have a shot at beating the level.

yeah good guys beat bad guys by finding a weekness caused by hubris

dan thought he had made the perfect nightmare but he forgot to ban the editor he fucked up now patrick has a chance.

its perfect

its still fucking hard to work out even with the editor.

Lijik

I could have sworn Dan said upfront he wanted Patrick to only be able to do the intended path and not be able to find an alternate solution. Reuploading the level to patch alternate solutions isnt moving the goal posts

Frith

I could have sworn Dan said upfront he wanted Patrick to only be able to do the intended path and not be able to find an alternate solution. Reuploading the level to patch alternate solutions isnt moving the goal posts

neither is using the editor though dan didn't ban it in the challenge video or before the start.

dan cant just wipe out legit methodology after the fact

why not just give a max death count halfway through too, or ban hands

Lijik

wait are you like actually legit mad over a silly mario maker challenge or is this just a goof so dry it would dehydrate the ocean

Jintor

It's really good couch coop. They played it once and they liked it, so they keep bringing it back.

Besides, it sounds really satisfyingly clacky on stream

Frith

wait are you like actually legit mad over a silly mario maker challenge or is this just a goof so dry it would dehydrate the ocean

i'm not mad at all
in reality none of this matters
in the world of this being the most entertaining shit on the internet this year i'm presenting my point of view.
you know for fun

Heimbeck

Banned
Did you see the stream's chat? This is extremely serious business for some people.

For some people?
This is important for everyone.

If Dan can't even make a decent mario maker level, why the hell should I follow him and that hack website he's at?
And if Patrick can't beat it he is useless at video games, and I won't take that hack's opinion on anything in the future.
This level is the future of video games journalism, it's extremely important for so many reasons.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Honestly what I see more in here is people leaping to dan's defense when people are blatantly just having fun with the persona he created and not seriously hating the guy.

I don't watch Patrick's stream to see him beat it. I watch it to see him broken. #TeamDan

why are you actually legit mad at patrick though

Tubobutts

My hatred of Patrick is completely rational as it is based off of him offhandedly mentioning wanting to do something with Crusader Kings one time in a Worth Reading and then never doing it.

Any reason for disliking Dan is 100% rational.

killroy87

it's a 20 year old game that damn near no one had heard of until they played it, and when they did everyone saw that it looks like the most fun local multiplayer game in existence. Ever since, the desire to play it by many people (me included) has surpassed any reasonable expectations of what the game can deliver.

My hatred of Patrick is completely rational as it is based off of him offhandedly mentioning wanting to do something with Crusader Kings one time in a Worth Reading and then never doing it.

I choose to forever hold a grudge for him leaving GB for Kotaku. We all have our reasons!

Patrick is looking for logic when there is none. He expect the level to have some kind of logical flow but it isnt there.

The actual trick is pretty easy to pull off if you know it but there is no way of actually learning it in the level alone.

Given that Dan did cheat and spend the weekend crowd sourcing the QA of his level Patrick should be slowed a cheap cheat. And that cheap cheat should probably be
someone telling him the sub world is a dead end and is a diversion.

You should check out their extra life stream from 2 years ago.

1. Winter contingency is a hell of a level
2. "Lets play some windjammers"
3. Pizzones
4. Push ups
5. What's going on in Vinnys pants?

Given that Dan did cheat and spend the weekend crowd sourcing the QA of his level Patrick should be slowed a cheap cheat. And that cheap cheat should probably be
someone telling him the sub world is a dead end and is a diversion.

But... can you imagine his reaction when
he reaches the end of the subworld and realizes it's one giant diversion? It will be glorious.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I heard jeff chartered a jet to pass over chicago dropping brainwashing chemtrails that convinced patrick to leave.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I feel like a god damned windjammers hipster every time I hear it brought up. My favorite childhood pizza place was my favorite simply because it had a Neo-Geo cabinet with Windjammers and three other games. What were those three other games? WHO THE FUCK KNOWS, I JUST SAID IT HAD WINDJAMMERS.

killroy87

We don't actually know if him leaving was his own choice.

Laying someone off (or "politely" asking them to quit as an alternative), asking them to keep it a secret, and then inviting them on 6 hours of GOTY podcasting only to annouce it at the very end and phrase it as a "we'll miss you" deal seems even more twisted than Jeff is willing to go. He doesn't seem like that kind of boss, he's a bit more "to the point"

Heimbeck

Banned
I'm pretty sure Patrick said he cried when he called Jeff and said he was moving on. Or something like that.

All PR man, I have inside sources.

Laying someone off (or "politely" asking them to quit as an alternative), asking them to keep it a secret, and then inviting them on 6 hours of GOTY podcasting only to annouce it at the very end and phrase it as a "we'll miss you" deal seems even more twisted than Jeff is willing to go. He doesn't seem like that kind of boss, he's a bit more "to the point"

Them building the NY office might have meant they couldn't keep Patrick on as well.
Of course Patrick could have just left for his own reasons.

That's what Jeff wants you to think.

Follow the money

I feel like a god damned windjammers hipster every time I hear it brought up. My favorite childhood pizza place was my favorite simply because it had a Neo-Geo cabinet with Windjammers and three other games. What were those three other games? WHO THE FUCK KNOWS, I JUST SAID IT HAD WINDJAMMERS.

you're lucky, all my local places just had samurai showdown and metal slug 1. only place I played windjammers was at some mall on vacation once

I do hope that after all this, they don't feel the need to make their next GB Mario Maker stream level absolutely entirely impossible and exploit-free. Most of the fun of the first two levels, particularly the first, was seeing all the workarounds people took to get through them in different ways.

Hagi

I do hope that after all this, they don't feel the need to make their next GB Mario Maker stream level absolutely entirely impossible and exploit-free. Most of the fun of the first two levels, particularly the first, was seeing all the workarounds people took to get through them in different ways.

I don't think El Jeffe is about that life, as long as he is part of the stream you shouldn't have to worry about it being nonsensical.

Myggen

Don't see why they would. This is obviously Dan trying to break Patrick for a good cause, all in good fun. The GB Mario Maker levels are made and uploaded on stream.

mattp

the only thing i hope they do for the next mario maker stream is less emphasis on sections covered in enemy spam and then they need to put a mushroom there so the player can just take a hit and run through the enemies while invincible
less of that and more fucked up platforming would be fun

Catching up on Metal Gear Scanlon. Dan's legitimate anger in episode 5 at not realizing there's a loadout system is hilarious.
"95 fucking hours"

Dan made the Mario equivalent of P.T.

Just a bunch of deliberately obtuse puzzle bullshit with no discernible logic or feedback, designed to prevent people from conquering it for as long as possible.

First Dan became a wrestler, now he's become Kojina. He's self-actualizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom