• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

So when the Witcher 3 QL first came out, I stopped watching at a certain point cuz I was going to play the game, and now after referring back to the video I have just got through the same stuff they did there.
Good lord, that's dark. :(

6vWGWv8.png

I don't want to be the asshole, but I wanna call fake. It's too good.

Edit: Actually the whole top half of the picture is blurry but I didn't notice til now. I buy it.

I'm close to finishing Fallout 4, but all of the ending path branches don't seem like they're going to be very satisfying. I've still got to choose a side, basically, but it's only hard because all the options are so mediocre. I don't find myself fully agreeing with any of the factions.

Joeku

I'm close to finishing Fallout 4, but all of the ending path branches don't seem like they're going to be very satisfying. I've still got to choose a side, basically, but it's only hard because all the options are so mediocre. I don't find myself fully agreeing with any of the factions.

How often do people tell you "I read that post in H. Jon Benjamin's voice, and it made it better?"

Cuz that's what I'm telling you now.

Did you mostly mainline it? What's your time played?

tuxfool

Banned
I decided the Brotherhood were a bunch of racists and killed them long before the end of the game. That narrows my choices down some.

Changes very little in the grand scheme of things. At least you don't have to suffer
following that walking trashcan Liberty Prime. Again.

How often do people tell you "I read that post in H. Jon Benjamin's voice, and it made it better?"

Cuz that's what I'm telling you now.

Did you mostly mainline it? What's your time played?

I've got 39 hours played, I did a healthy amount of the interesting side quests. I didn't really get into much of the repetitive faction fetch quest stuff for obvious reasons.

I played it a LOT in the first couple of days following launch, and I was loving it, but I've fallen off since. I think I kind of reached the point where I ran out of interesting gear and weapons to collect, so now I just run around shooting people with my pipe rifle or assault rifle or shotgun depending on the circumstances.

I dunno, I think the story was a lot more interesting when it was just the small scale stuff like the relationships between characters you meet along the way. Now all those characters have been left by the wayside as the story becomes centered on the main factions and their black and white philosophies.

Edit: yeah, I think the one thing that's clear to me is that I'm anti-brotherhood. Unfortunately I agree with a lot of parts of the rest of the factions.

Edit 2: I'm also torn because I want to see more of the content, but I don't want to go against what I feel like my character would choose. I don't want to do brotherhood missions because they're racists, but I don't want to leave all that game there either.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I kinda think that's a good thing if handled correctly, because having your choice to be not so black and white is always a good thing. Though considering Bethesda's calibre of writing...

I kinda think that's a good thing if handled correctly, because having your choice to be not so black and white is always a good thing. Though considering Bethesda's calibre of writing...

That's the thing, the reason I don't agree is that they're all SO extreme. I'm torn between a middle ground ending that I agree with and experiencing an actual interesting ending.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I will say FO4 is the first time since ME2 that I've been unable to choose who to bring with me just because Nick and Hancock are both so so dope

I will say FO4 is the first time since ME2 that I've been unable to choose who to bring with me just because Nick and Hancock are both so so dope

Yeah, I rolled with hancock for so long but I switched to nick when he offered to come with me for a quest. both are great.

but now I'm flying solo because that extra carry weight on lone wanderer is too good to pass up. although quite frankly I should just console command an increased carry weight.

It's not that good either ;)

I dunno, it's pretty good in that Dan Jeff and Austin played it quite a bit(With Brad), and that the GAF thread has managed to stay active enough to dwarf any other community thread. Not to mention it's sold a bunch.

If you asked me a year ago I'd agree that it could be better, but the state it is in right now is pretty damn good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I dunno, it's pretty good in that Dan Jeff and Austin played it quite a bit(With Brad), and that the GAF thread has managed to stay active enough to dwarf any other community thread. Not to mention it's sold a bunch.

If you asked me a year ago I'd agree that it could be better, but the state it is in right now is pretty damn good.

I mean Jeff was way into SWTOR for a long time at launch.

Jeff's a sucker for the MMO grind. He just has to get it out of his system and those kind of games are designed to feed as many hours out of you as possible more to do with a shitty loot wheel than any real desire to play them.

I mean Jeff was way into SWTOR for a long time at launch.

Jeff's a sucker for the MMO grind. He just has to get it out of his system and those kind of games are designed to feed as many hours out of you as possible more to do with a shitty loot wheel than any real desire to play them.

The shooting feels really good though. Like, the loot is nice, but playing the game feels good.

The shooting feels really good though. Like, the loot is nice, but playing the game feels good.

It feels like Halo with worse AI and less weapon variety, no amazing set pieces, smaller scale battles and more bullet sponges. Add to that the fact that I thought Taken King made progression considerably worse than it was. From the fact you need to grind up the stats on your weapons to the matter of all the other content in the game being made insignificant, add it all up and you've got a pretty shitty expansion.

Positives of Taken King:
Story missions are better than those in the main game
UI is now almost up to that of a standard RPG

I can heartily recommend Tales From the Borderland and Life is Strange. What a year for adventure games!

You're not wrong. There is some sort of primal fun in playing a Commando spec'd Trooper. I still prefer Force classes, though.

Bacon

This gets brought up in every destiny thread and I just don't understand how this is a argument in favor of Destiny. If anything it just highlights how poor the in game matchmaking system actually is.

Actually its not even poor, it's good when they choose to implement it.

This gets brought up in every destiny thread and I just don't understand how this is a argument in favor of Destiny. If anything it just highlights how poor the in game matchmaking system actually is.

Actually its not even poor, it's good when they choose to implement it.

If the game wasn't good, people wouldn't keep playing it, therefore that thread would've died along time ago.

I mean, the thread is populated by more then just asking to do stuff. There are some riveting discussions that take place here and there.

Destiny: TTK was great, but i can't be mad at people who don't care for it or won't give it the tine of day after year 1. It shouldn't have taken the game a whole year after release to be considered "good" and the people that got fucked the most were the one's who bought in from day one.

That being said it'll definitely show up in the bottom half of my GOTY list at least.

Finished Tales of the Borderlands. Buy/play it. What a fun ride.

If the game wasn't good, people wouldn't keep playing it, therefore that thread would've died along time ago.

I mean, the thread is populated by more then just asking to do stuff. There are some riveting discussions that take place here and there.

Not nessesarily true. More often than not, people will play absolute trash because either "its so bad its funny" or they have to play it because they spent their hard earned money on it and can't bother with just stopping to play something and feel like they wasted money.

Also just because something has a big fanbase doesn't mean its good either... look at pretty much anything popculture. Twilight had one of the biggest most vocal fanbases I've seen in the last decade and that was complete trash.

Not saying there aren't people who actually do enjoy the game. One of my friends genuinely enjoys it and that's totally fine. I just think it's so overhyped. It's not the worst game ever, but it's no where near a amazing game. It's 100% middle of the road, mediocre.

Not nessesarily true. More often than not, people will play absolute trash because either "its so bad its funny" or they have to play it because they spent their hard earned money on it and can't bother with just stopping to play something and feel like they wasted money.

Also just because something has a big fanbase doesn't mean its good either... look at pretty much anything popculture. Twilight had one of the biggest most vocal fanbases I've seen in the last decade and that was complete trash.

You sound in denial that it's a good game. You want an objectively bad game? Check out that afro samurai game that got recalled.

Joeku

Good and bad in arts and entertainment is pretty much entirely subjective. Maybe Twilight is perfectly good for those who consider it good, and who are you to say otherwise?

Breezy thinks Fallout 4 is a really good game and I think it isn't. Neither of us are factually correct. It will be GotY for some and super disappointing for others.

Twilight sux

Bacon

Yes but if there was matchmaking for raids and nightfalls and stuff the thread would obviously still be active but it wouldn't have near as many posts. I bet if I picked a random page in any of the destiny OT's right now I would pick out at least a quarter of the posts just saying something along the lines of "Anyone up for a _________?"

Yes but if there was matchmaking for raids and nightfalls and stuff the thread would obviously still be active but it wouldn't have near as many posts. I bet if I picked a random page in any of the destiny OT's right now I would pick out at least a quarter of the posts just saying something along the lines of "Anyone up for a _________?"

That's not a bad thing though, that's people wanting to play the game and asking for help from Gaffers.

Why do you hate games that encourage friendship and charity.

Seriously tho, if it was a bad game, people wouldn't bother with the end game activities.

Bacon

That's not a bad thing though, that's people wanting to play the game and asking for help from Gaffers.

Why do you hate games that encourage friendship and charity.

Seriously tho, if it was a bad game, people wouldn't bother with the end game activities.

Hey man I had destiny as my goty last year so I'm not trying to say it's a bad game. I've just never understood the OT count line of reasoning as to why it is a good game.

Hey man I had destiny as my goty last year so I'm not trying to say it's a bad game. I've just never understood the OT count line of reasoning as to why it is a good game.

I mean, you don't see bad games have multiple OTs. I'm not saying that the thread count makes it the best game ever, but it would be unheard of for a bad game(As madman is trying to present it, mind you, idk if you've read his post) to be that popular.

Megasoum

Banned
Wait... They never did a quicklook of Tales? I swear I've seen content on the site before but there's no QL attached to the page on the wiki.

Not that a quicklook from GBWest would be a good indication on that game since I'm sure they would all hate it.

The game is only 14$ on Steam so I'm kinda tempted but I have wayyyy too big of a backlog so I'll never play it.

Wait... They never did a quicklook of Tales? I swear I've seen content on the site before but there's no QL attached to the page on the wiki.

Not that a quicklook from GBWest would be a good indication on that game since I'm sure they would all hate it.

The game is only 14$ on Steam so I'm kinda tempted but I have wayyyy too big of a backlog so I'll never play it.

Watch Austin play episode 1 during his extra life if you wanna see a GB person play it. The game isn't all that long either. You could knock it out in less than a week easy.

Megasoum

Banned
Watch Austin play episode 1 during his extra life if you wanna see a GB person play it. The game isn't all that long either. You could knock it out in less than a week easy.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now.

But still... I'm sure I've seen a bit of that game before and I pretty much only follow GB... That's weird.

Edit: Fuck, Austin is eating wings... Maybe I shouldn't watch that stream after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom