• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

as much as I love New Vegas seeing Fallout 3 as it was originally envisioned would have been amazing

Wasteland 2 is pretty great. It makes me wish Bethesda would set aside a smaller budget for Obsidian or another team to make another old-school style Fallout.

tuxfool

Banned
Kinda their own fault on that one. It had a very short development time of 18 months which they agreed on. Turns out rushed games can have a bunch of technical issues which impacts review scores.

I reall do hope they do Fallout again.

Bethesda moved up the release date. It was Bethesda's decision to release the game in that state, they were the publisher, they were responsible for QA.

One thing I really liked about Dragon Age: Origins is you can TRULY fuck with people and drastically change the outcome of the game. Even ignoring just how fucked up the things you can do are, you can straight up change major parts of the world at the end. A lot of it is addressed in text at the end, but at least it's something that tantalizes your imagination because you've developed this character that has developed this world. My Warden in DA:O was a thousand times more interesting character than Hawke in 2 because of the things I did.

That kind of gameplay is the constant minority of games. The kind of writing or gameplay that doesn't even ask you to use your imagination, the kind that plays with you enough and gets enough of a reaction that you go 'Man, I wonder what did happen after the game ended.' And little things like unique dialogue based on your party or origin that are actually significant or reveal things that are interesting about the world that you wouldn't have known about before, that doesn't exist. All that lore is just shoved into dialogue tapes or computer terminals to keep feeding you dull as fuck present bread crumbs.

One of the things that made Origins a good simplified CRPG was this. There's no rampant amputation of agency or explosion of faux choice like you got in alot of descendants later. Really helped make up for the flaws of the game and one of the reasons Alastair was so good.

hamchan

Bethesda's choices of things to work on and add into a sequel to Fallout 3 is straight up bizarre. Nothing feels natural to include. People liked customizing their homes in FO3 and New Vegas and Skyrim so clearly they want to establish settlements and play a busted down shoestring and paperclipped together management simulator? People liked to establish their character so we should put in a voice acted protagonist that still has the same 'video game protagonist' meant to represent you so that voice always feels off because it's not you? We put mini-games in for some reason? We also put in an armor crafting system and random RNG loot elements because people like Diablo and surely they come to us for the same thing?

A lot of the new stuff in Fallout 4 just makes me ask, 'but why?'

I really don't know what the point of the whole settlement system is. What exactly is the end goal of it, because I sure haven't found one? It seems entirely useless and is just a money/materials sink.

Every time I find a customizable settlement I just sigh mainly because I can't be bothered doing boring building stuff outside of Sanctuary and also because I wish they had made an actual town filled with actual side quest content instead of this empty, nothing town, of which there are a shitload, way too many in the game btw.

Kinda their own fault on that one. It had a very short development time of 18 months which they agreed on. Turns out rushed games can have a bunch of technical issues which impacts review scores.

I reall do hope they do Fallout again.

The way you write it makes me think it got a low score. But it got an 84.

Really makes me wonder how badly performing a game would have to be for the score to be affected. Jeff and FO4 is an example, I guess, but it seems pretty isolated and rare overall.

So, funny thing

In the original Fallout 3 (aka Van Buren), the first companion you'd be able to find was "the Hanged Man." He'd be hanging from a pole by his neck, but still alive and covered in bandages as if he'd been burned. If you cut him down, he'd refuse to tell you anything about himself other than hint at a connection to Caesar's Legion. He'd also be a super-powerful companion, the strongest combat-oriented companion in the game by far. And you find him right at the start, how lucky!

However, if you've played New Vegas (and especially Honest Hearts), you've probably realized that this guy is secretly Joshua Graham, aka the Burned Man in New Vegas, aka one of the co-founders of the Legion and Caesar's former right hand man, aka one of the most hated and feared people in the entire Southwest. Every tribal NPC or village will fucking hate you, NPCs in towns will be terrified of you, and cause super difficult negotiation situations when he pisses off someone you're talking to.

That's the sort of screwed up thing a game like Wasteland 2 would do. Considering the two series' roots, this shouldn't surprise me. (Wasteland was the precursor to Fallout.)
One of the things that made Origins a good simplified CRPG was this. There's no rampant amputation of agency or explosion of faux choice like you got in alot of descendants later. Really helped make up for the flaws of the game and one of the reasons Alastair was so good.
Yeah, you're right.

Morrigan's wit was a lot of fun. Dragon Age as a series has been trying to recapture that, without success, since DAO. It's Wrex syndrome all over again.

I really don't know what the point of the whole settlement system is. What exactly is the end goal of it, because I sure haven't found one? It seems entirely useless and is just a money/materials sink.

Every time I find a customizable settlement I just sigh mainly because I can't be bothered doing boring building stuff outside of Sanctuary and also because I wish they had made an actual town filled with actual side quest content instead of this empty, nothing town, of which there are a shitload, way too many in the game btw.

settlements are just to fuck around with. Just like the gun modding, the chemist station, the armorer. You don't need to do it, there is no point to it if you just want to play for the story.

Working with Bethesda / Zenimax seems like a bad idea for a studio who is already not in a great financial place.

I just hope Obsidian get to make a big budget RPG again. I think they already said they are currently signed on with a publisher for something like that. Here is hoping!

Not sure who pays that bill though. Seems like the thing Take 2 or Warner might try. Unless its some budget publisher like Deep Silver.

santeesioux

If they did it right, I could see something like the settlement system being really interesting in a new Elder Scrolls game, like founding your own kingdom and having subjects in your own village with a castle that you could defend from other factions, and attack their settlements.

If they did it right, I could see something like the settlement system being really interesting in a new Elder Scrolls game, like founding your own kingdom and having subjects in your own village with a castle that you could defend from other factions, and attack their settlements.

a forward operating fiefdom, if you will

Edit: Speaking of fiefdoms, is massive chalice worth a fiver?

That would be pretty great, and seeing how Fallout Shelter is a mini version of Fallout 4 settlements, I could naturally see it progressing to something like clash of clans where they'll release a phone app like it but with an elder scrolls skin, and then in the main game they'll have a bigger version of it.

jtar86

I'm going to give the Witcher 3 another shot. I bought it on Xbox last night (already have the Ps4 version but that system stays in my sons room 99% of the time now). I hope I get into it more this time, I got to the same place as Dan and just completely lost interest. It seems to run better on Xbox though so far which I thought was strange, definitely helps out some. Parts of that game on Ps4 ran at like 20 fps for long stretches. I really want to check out Life is Strange as well before game of the year stuff because I know they will discuss it, don't know if I'll have time though.

Fuck it. Downloading New Vegas.

I have never modded a Bethesda game outside of steam workshop in Skyrim and just removing inventory limits in older games. I need to learn how modding NV works.

I'm going to give the Witcher 3 another shot. I bought it on Xbox last night (already have the Ps4 version but that system stays in my sons room 99% of the time now). I hope I get into it more this time, I got to the same place as Dan and just completely lost interest. It seems to run better on Xbox though so far which I thought was strange, definitely helps out some. Parts of that game on Ps4 ran at like 20 fps for long stretches. I really want to check out Life is Strange as well before game of the year stuff because I know they will discuss it, don't know if I'll have time though.

After rolling the "performance improvements" patch dice 10 times they finally removed that 20fps lock on the PS4 version of Witcher 3. Digital Foundry says it runs better then the XB1 version now.

But I approve the double dipping on a awesome game. Its this generationss Red Dead. Until somebody at Rockstar actually makes this gens actual Red Dead.

Dineren

Banned

I have never modded a Bethesda game outside of steam workshop in Skyrim and just removing inventory limits in older games. I need to learn how modding NV works.

One good thing about Bethesda games sharing an engine is that once you figure out how to mod one, you can mod pretty much all of them the same way. Presumably even Fallout 4.

Talking about Obsidian, how's Dungeon Siege 3?

Edit-Nvm, looking at the QL it's isometric @_@ Thought it was third person or something

I've heard this is pretty much the reverse of the usual Obsidian M.O. in that it is technically solid, but it doesn't have great writing. I was listening to a Josh Sawyer interview and he said regardless of what you think about the game, you can at least point to it as an example of an Obsidian game that isn't buggy.

I've heard this is pretty much the reverse of the usual Obsidian M.O. in that it is technically solid, but it doesn't have great writing. I was listening to a Josh Sawyer interview and he said regardless of what you think about the game, you can at least point to it as an example of an Obsidian game that isn't buggy.

Hrm. Interesting.

But isometric is third person... :p

Touche, but I just don't like alotta isometric games like that. Like Diablo 3 is an exception, I've tried to play Diablo 2 but couldn't get into it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wasteland 2 is pretty great. It makes me wish Bethesda would set aside a smaller budget for Obsidian or another team to make another old-school style Fallout.

Man. Don't even start with this. It will never happen. Sadly.

youtubers and twitch streamers love survival games where you build stuff and make sick viral videos showing how epic your game is

The whole reason for that feature, right there. Seriously.

danm999

I asked in the Fallout 4 spoiler thread what the point of the Minutemen as a faction was given they're so thinly written and the most plausible answer I got was that it's to feed you into the base building mechanics. So yeah.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

There are some pretty cool NV Mods out there. I like my wasteland a bit more colorful and lively
05E248C7469858DF4C11163945F0672E5478D128

25944BEE13285D32CE3E8063E70EC2475C081722

Also adding weather effects and darker nights makes the game much prettier.

Xater

I asked in the Fallout 4 spoiler thread what the point of the Minutemen as a faction was given they're so thinly written and the most plausible answer I got was that it's to feed you into the base building mechanics. So yeah.

Makes sense.

Xater

Watching the Xenoblade QL the game seems to have interesting systems and a big cool world, but all the quests look boring as fuck.

Watching the Xenoblade QL the game seems to have interesting systems and a big cool world, but all the quests look boring as fuck.

If it's anything like the first game, the quests are just an excuse to wander around the awesome world. It's definitely not a game to get all completionist about unless you hate yourself. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll see quests as good as Witcher 3 in a RPG for a while.

Xater

If it's anything like the first game, the quests are just an excuse to wander around the awesome world. It's definitely not a game to get all completionist about unless you hate yourself. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll see quests as good as Witcher 3 in a RPG for a while.

CRPGs have been treating me well this past year. Definitely skews your perspective when you then have to deal with Fallout 4 for example.

CRPGs have been treating me well this past year. Definitely skews your perspective when you then have to deal with Fallout 4 for example.

I dunno, alot of the side content in Fallout 4 is pretty fun and good. Witcher 3 was ok. Bloody Baron is the most memorable part.

jaina

Screw Black Friday and Steam Thanksgiving, I'll spend the morning putting money into Badge Arcade. The rabbit is just so well animated, and the badges which replace system icons like Settings are tempting.
The 3€ I had are gone, need to refill my NNID.

The quests in Xenoblade Chronicles were just an excuse to travel the environments, yeah. They were repetitive but I thought the game was gorgeous (and properly "big" games on Nintendo systems are so rare nowadays) so I really got into it.

The quests in Xenoblade Chronicles were just an excuse to travel the environments, yeah. They were repetitive but I thought the game was gorgeous (and properly "big" games on Nintendo systems are so rare nowadays) so I really got into it.

The thing that made it work in the original was that you didn't have to return to the quest giver to get your rewards for a lot of the standard "go here, kill this, collect this" quests. Austin was definitely returning to the quest givers which is worrying. I'm sure I'll still enjoy parts of the game for the world but that seems like a step back.

The thing that made it work in the original was that you didn't have to return to the quest giver to get your rewards for a lot of the standard "go here, kill this, collect this" quests. Austin was definitely returning to the quest givers which is worrying. I'm sure I'll still enjoy parts of the game for the world but that seems like a step back.

This seems like a dealbreaker. It makes slightly more sense to return to quest givers in an open-world game - XB1 was linear so forcing players to backtrack would have sucked - but it's still a massive bummer.

Especially the game's sci-fi conceit. Why can't you just call the questgiver.

Zocano

The quest lines in Hearts Of Stone are arguably better than the main game.

Witcher 3's main plot lines were all disappointing. I would still argue Witcher 1 was the best on that aspect. Ugh, I loved Witcher 1.

___

Whenever I've discussed the goods and bads of Fallout 4, I feel like I'm talking in a circle and having a hard time justify the goods over the bads when I dumped a 100+ hours into it and enjoyed my time with it.

I like the shooting and exploring and think those parts are better than they've ever been in any of this style of open world game. Like the loot and dumper-diving aspect is still a bit bare bones but it's just fun to explore the dense Boston area. There's a lot of verticality because of the high way and the huge buildings that feed in and out of it.

But that's as far as anything really good I can say. The quests are mostly boring (as in, they're one note, generally very linear, and unimpactful to either yourself or the world/environment). The writing is just really boring. The dialogue system massively hurts the game. SPECIAL feels like it doesn't affect you as much as it should (I want negatives for having 1 INT, 1 CHA, 1 STR, etc.). Like actual impactful negatives instead of the entire game just feeling like it always caters to you no matter what you end up doing. Can't hack? That's fine, you can just pick lock your way out. Can't pick lock or hack? That's fine, just talk your way out. Can't do anything? That's fine, just shoot everything and you still don't really miss out on anything.

The thing is, because the shooting and exploring feel really solid, those two can still carry a huge amount of the content on their shoulders and it's easy to dump in so many hours because you don't really need to engage with the story in actual meaningful ways. the problem is that Fallout has its roots in just that and New Vegas shames Fallout 4 in that respect.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The quest lines in Hearts Of Stone are arguably better than the main game.

I would say they're inarguably better. Hearts of Stone has something Witcher 3 lacks: Interesting antagonists. The Wild Hunt was such a wet fart. The game was actually full of interesting characters and antagonists (Radovid, Sigi) but they focused on the least interesting of all of them because hey, it's a fantasy game, so there's got to be some nebulous world-ending threat fronted by faceless bads. I will say Ciri is a pretty great character and I love the relationship between her and Geralt.

Zaph

The problem with Bethesda RPGs in a nutshell? Obsidian had to implement a dialog system in New Vegas. In other words, they're way too attached to the light'n'fluffy open world "do whatever you want" aspect of their games.

You can be a peasant, a hero, an outlaw, or all of them at the same time. Therein lies the problem.

Completely missed that thread, what a great little interview.

Someone should really put together a monthly Neogaf 'Best of' similar to the GB ones.

demidar

I would say they're inarguably better. Hearts of Stone has something Witcher 3 lacks: Interesting antagonists. The Wild Hunt was such a wet fart. The game was actually full of interesting characters and antagonists (Radovid, Sigi) but they focused on the least interesting of all of them because hey, it's a fantasy game, so there's got to be some nebulous world-ending threat fronted by faceless bads. I will say Ciri is a pretty great character and I love the relationship between her and Geralt.

There's gotta be a "Faceless bad guy" concept page on the Giant Bomb wiki.

youtubers and twitch streamers love survival games where you build stuff and make sick viral videos showing how epic your game is

I had a joke going with my friend that literally every single stream I ever turned on was just some guy talking about his settlement. Over and over again. I wanted to see, like, anything about the game that wasn't how many farmers or beds you should have. At one point someone on my friends list ran a stream just so I could see what the actual game was like. I don't know if it was coincidence or bad luck but I assumed at that point settlement building was the core of the game and that's why everybody spent so much time doing only that.

Yesterday I played what seemed like the climax of Witcher 3 and it turns out there's still kind of a lot of that game left? Fine by me though. I loooove
getting to see Geralt and Ciri interact

Bouncing back and forth between that and Fallout 4 is an interesting experience. Fallout 4 is the more addicting game with its shooting and loot and exploration, but long-term I see myself burning out on it well before TW3.

Everyone cites the Bloody Baron stuff as the best quest line, but really it's just the first big one. I think later ones are much more interesting.
It's much earlier in the game, something a lot more people have seen and been able to talk about, and it is pretty damn great.

Agreed with those who mentioned it, Hearts of Stone is a cut above the rest, the antagonists being a key part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom