• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

200.gif

jaina

Alex doing good: "You're not wearing a helmet." "Tank you very much!"

I think the MGS V / AC Syndicate / Xenoblade Chronicles X combination is enough for me this year, not necessary for me to play Just Cause at release anymore. I consider my itch scratched.

Gestahl

People liked to establish their character so we should put in a voice acted protagonist that still has the same 'video game protagonist' meant to represent you so that voice always feels off because it's not you?

Yeah the Fallout 4 PC is a complete nothing character. Their only defining characteristics are: was in the military/is a lawyer, loves their significant other of little description or import, and they love their little potato baby Shaun. That's basically it. They're a strictly defined blank slate more or less. Which makes everything involving them real fucking weird because even Shepard in Mass Effect 1 had you know family, old friends, past events that defined them, etc. What the fuck does John/Jane Fallout have? Absolutely nothing.

Patryn

Yeah the Fallout 4 PC is a complete nothing character. Their only defining characteristics are: was in the military/is a lawyer, loves their significant other of little description or import, and they love their little potato baby Shaun. That's basically it. They're a strictly defined blank slate more or less. Which makes everything involving them real fucking weird because even Shepard in Mass Effect 1 had you know family, old friends, past events that defined them, etc. What the fuck does John/Jane Fallout have? Absolutely nothing.

I think that's done deliberately, and I don't mind it in the least. In fact, I like it.

It's done that way so you can project your own character on the person.

And saying Shepard had deep connections is really pushing it. For instance, the only connection to your family that a Colonist Shepard has is knowing that they were killed on a slaver raid, and I really don't see the major difference between that and what happens to the Fallout protag.

All Bethesda protags are deliberately blank slates in that fashion.

And, may I ask, what's the major difference between the Fallout 4 protag and the Fallout 1 protag? There's really not a lot of world-building done on either, to allow the player to craft them how they wish.

That bug in the JC3 story mission Vinny did was rough. The mission as a whole didn't really seem to be much fun either.
I think that's done deliberately, and I don't mind it in the least. In fact, I like it.

It's done that way so you can project your own character on the person.

And saying Shepard had deep connections is really pushing it. For instance, the only connection to your family that a Colonist Shepard has is knowing that they were killed on a slaver raid, and I really don't see the major difference between that and what happens to the Fallout protag.

All Bethesda protags are deliberately blank slates in that fashion.

And, may I ask, what's the major difference between the Fallout 4 protag and the Fallout 1 protag? There's really not a lot of world-building done on either, to allow the player to craft them how they wish.
The problem with Fallout 4 is that there's too much background for it to be a blank character, and that background directly (especially in the case of the female character) clashes with what happens in the game. I'm beating a dead horse here, but you literally go from "What the hell, 200 years?" to running around in power armor killing Deathclaws in the span of ten minutes.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that JC3 glitch was rough, that'd piss me off. Had stuff like that happen in AC:S too, it's aggravating as hell. Also why they don't refill the health of the boat when you fail and retry, wtf. Could get stuck in no-win situations like that.

Gestahl

That bug in the JC3 story mission Vinny did was rough. The mission as a whole didn't really seem to be much fun either.

The problem with Fallout 4 is that there's too much background for it to be a blank character, and that background directly (especially in the case of the female character) clashes with what happens in the game. I'm beating a dead horse here, but you literally go from "What the hell, 200 years?" to running around in power armor killing Deathclaws in the span of ten minutes.

He gets handed a bunch of bottle caps and doesn't even bat an eye. What a fish out of water huh

Moldiver

Replied to a tweet where Dan mentioned "Vape" got added to a Twitter list "people who tweet about vaping" guess I should buy a rig?

As much as I enjoyed JC2 I was kinda hoping the gunplay would evolve at least a little bit in this one. Looks like they just doubled down on the fun shit instead, which certainly isn't a bad thing, but shooting guys was the worst part of the last game and it doesn't look much better here.

As much as I enjoyed JC2 I was kinda hoping the gunplay would evolve at least a little bit in this one. Looks like they just doubled down on the fun shit instead, which certainly isn't a bad thing, but shooting guys was the worst part of the last game and it doesn't look much better here.

I can confirm it's much better because the sound mixing is damn great. It makes it much more satisfying to shoot and it feels tighter than 2 overall.

Myggen

Yeah that JC3 glitch was rough, that'd piss me off. Had stuff like that happen in AC:S too, it's aggravating as hell. Also why they don't refill the health of the boat when you fail and retry, wtf. Could get stuck in no-win situations like that.

Yeah, not refilling the health of the boat could lead to some awful situations.

Joeku

*Watching Just Cause 3 QL*

*Re-installs Just Cause 2*

*Googles for Just Cause 2 mods, sees main mod site is offline.*

*Cancels download*

Strax

Why are people here so dead set on that all Bethesda characters should be blank slates? NV maybe a good game but starting a game with amnesia hitting the player character is and has always been bad storywriting.

tuxfool

Banned
Why are people here so dead set on that all Bethesda characters should be blank slates? NV maybe a good game but starting a game with amnesia hitting the player character is and has always been bad storywriting.

As opposed to the sloppy implementations of Bethesda PCs? I'd prefer the least bad option, which in this case is amnesia.

The Courier does not have amnesia.

This too, and the game is written in such a way that it works for a blank slate character.

popo

I was bored and decided to try newgame+ on witcher 3 for some dumb reason.

If you skip all the dialogue, ignore any side quests and refuse every appeal for help - you can really motor through the main quest. Start to the end of Bloody Baron in about 4 hours.

Also, fully upgraded Quen still breaks the game and makes just about any combat trivial even on ng+ and Death March difficulty.

The biggest time sync is that - because you have not explored and unlocked all the fast travel waypoints - you have to ride roach everywhere.

FStop7

Banned
JC3 looks exactly like what I don't want more of: flash over substance. You're a movie critic riding an ICBM swordfighting the shark-president! guh.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
JC3 looks exactly like what I want more of: not pretending there is more to your game than there is. No boring ass mother base building, no researching uselss stuff, no pretending your story is some higher art, just good ol' goofing around stupidness.

repeater

The video quality of the Just Cause 3 quick look is sooooo bad, even on the highest settings. What is up with that?
Really? I Chromecasti it in HD through Giant Bomb Video Buddy to my TV, it looked fine to my eyes. Game looks gorgeous as well, I wonder how much worse it'll look on consoles.

Gestahl

The Courier does not have amnesia.

AcridMeat

Banned
I just got through the first episode and wow, I actually laughed out loud several times. Can't wait to play more.
Catching up on the thread but episode 2-4 had me laughing more than 1. You're in for a treat. :D
I'm probably going to end up buying this aren't I? I mean my birthday is in a week, I finished Fallout and Tales from the Borderlands, I could justify it...

D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom