• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Yeah the Fallout 4 PC is a complete nothing character. Their only defining characteristics are: was in the military/is a lawyer, loves their significant other of little description or import, and they love their little potato baby Shaun. That's basically it. They're a strictly defined blank slate more or less. Which makes everything involving them real fucking weird because even Shepard in Mass Effect 1 had you know family, old friends, past events that defined them, etc. What the fuck does John/Jane Fallout have? Absolutely nothing.

It's such a bizarre way to split the difference in general.

A lot of RPGs might give you a hidden or underlying framework to your character but let you figure out the details of your immediate personality (amnesia, stranger in a strange land stories) or they give you a super tight backstory but some robust ways to role play in that framework.

Fallout 4 does neither totally and half the time you feel completely blank slate and then the other half you're like "oh yeah I was in the military" and feels super weird as a result.

CU71f0TVAAAwOpc.jpg:large

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's such a bizarre way to split the difference in general.

A lot of RPGs might give you a hidden or underlying framework to your character but let you figure out the details of your immediate personality (amnesia, stranger in a strange land stories) or they give you a super tight backstory but some robust ways to role play in that framework.

Fallout 4 does neither totally and half the time you feel completely blank slate and then the other half you're like "oh yeah I was in the military" and feels super weird as a result.

It's the worst of both worlds. You can't be the person you'd like to be cause your character is way too nice in dialog scenes.....but that's basically it for her/his character.
You can some up the PC with one sentence "Like his/her family" That's pretty much it.

danm999

It's the worst of both worlds. You can't be the person you'd like to be cause your character is way too nice in dialog scenes.....but that's basically it for her/his character.
You can some up the PC with one sentence "Like his/her family" That's pretty much it.

I
told my son to burn in hell at one point and then the ambient dialogue was like "I'm so sorry Shaun" and I was like WHAT IS HAPPENING?

justjim89

Damn it. Just discovered
the Railroad
in FO4 and I see where all the talk of faction opposition and
picking sides
comes from. Something tells me anything less than wanting
literally every synth to die means I won't be able to side with The Brotherhood. Not sure where the Minutemen fit in. Ah well. I kinda like the shadowy nature of the Railroad more anyhow.

danm999

Damn it. Just discovered
the Railroad
in FO4 and I see where all the talk of faction opposition and
picking sides
comes from. Something tells me anything less than wanting
literally every synth to die means I won't be able to side with The Brotherhood. Not sure where the Minutemen fit in. Ah well. I kinda like the shadowy nature of the Railroad more anyhow.

They are a crafty bunch. The entrance password is the name of their organisation.

Reminds me of

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmvOrnVaJwI

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm knee deep in a cyberpunk thing this winter and I'm blaming it all on Austin. I played through Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall and decided to go back to the first game, and bought Satellite Reigns during the Steam sale.

Tagyhag

Brad is looking great, so happy he lost a few pounds, same for Jeff.

I know we've been getting some content but I'm starving for some more. Can't wait for the holidays to be over, especially when they look over old conferences.

Looking great Brad, dig the silver. Now you got to complete that with a beard or a light beard, one step closer to getting that Vincent look from Collateral

a6lotbt.jpg

Myggen

Brad is looking great, so happy he lost a few pounds, same for Jeff.

I know we've been getting some content but I'm starving for some more. Can't wait for the holidays to be over, especially when they look over old conferences.

I can't wait for the holidays to begin. GOTY content baby, the best time of the year! But yeah, talking over old legendary conference like the infamous Konami one is a fantastic idea.

daydream

Banned
super in the mood for a game like xenoblade chronicles x at the moment but also too busy to play much of anything. doesn't seem advisable to start that game, stop and come back at a later point. you'd have to relearn all the systems

Myggen

super in the mood for a game like xenoblade chronicles x at the moment but also too busy to play much of anything. doesn't seem advisable to start that game, stop and come back at a later point. you'd have to relearn all the systems

Yeah, that seems like a game you need to just have time to play. Coming back to a game like that sounds like a nightmare.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
This seems like a dealbreaker. It makes slightly more sense to return to quest givers in an open-world game - XB1 was linear so forcing players to backtrack would have sucked - but it's still a massive bummer.

Especially the game's sci-fi conceit. Why can't you just call the questgiver.

Heads up: Almost all of the "basic quests," which involve finding X of Y material or killing N enemies are turned in automatically the second you complete them. It's often a nice little surprise as you roll around in your mech, grabbing blue crystals, and then ba-dum, the quest complete thing appears on screen. Only quests with actual dialog need to be returned to the quest giver, and those always feel good to return because of how many other little quests you've worked on along the way.

daydream

Banned
Heads up: Almost all of the "basic quests," which involve finding X of Y material or killing N enemies are turned in automatically the second you complete them. It's often a nice little surprise as you roll around in your mech, grabbing blue crystals, and then ba-dum, the quest complete thing appears on screen. Only quests with actual dialog need to be returned to the quest giver, and those always feel good to return because of how many other little quests you've worked on along the way.

that makes more sense, thanks for clarifying, austin

danm999

So I'm playing AC Syndicate based on what Alex said and it's actually kind of enjoyable. Such a shift from Unity in almost every way.

And whistling is back! Thank god.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Is it weird that I heard that in the Bloodborne NPC voice as soon as I read it before clicking?

The words "damn curse" are forever associated with Bloodborne to me

The Order was my "did that really come out this year?" game.

Mad Max may take it for me, honestly. Either that or Evolve. But Mad Max seemed like it was forgotten the second it came out. Evolve had at least like a week of some video content, I know Mary did something with it on GS and I saw a couple people on twitch playing it. Mad Max? Fucking nothingggggggg

As someone who enjoyed Unity Syndicate doesn't feel very different outside of the addition of the grappling hook which is grand. Mission structure and open ended assassinations are very similar. And they completely removed blood splatters which takes away a lot of the punch the combat has had since 3, really odd.

Oh well, at least less people are bitching about people who like AC this year :p

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The most "forgotten about" game is probably King's Quest. Haven't heard anyone talk about that one.

Joeku

Welp finally clicked on a Fallout spoiler past where I am and it probably confirmed something I theorized since finishing the intro.

Man, I should just mainline the rest of that game. Is it really "mainline-able"? Or does it intentionally splinter off a bunch before the end? Feel free to spoiler the answer if you'd like.

Joeku

It looks like a 2015 game, but plays like a 2007 game!

If that game had come playing like it did and looking decent on a PS3 that early, we'd be on The Order: 1911 this year where cowboys fight werewolves, and I'd finally get the Darkwatch sequel I've secretly wanted.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who enjoyed Unity Syndicate doesn't feel very different outside of the addition of the grappling hook which is grand. Mission structure and open ended assassinations are very similar. And they completely removed blood splatters which takes away a lot of the punch the combat has had since 3, really odd.

Oh well, at least less people are bitching about people who like AC this year :p

Bearing in mind that I skipped Rogue and Unity, Syndicate is the worst game in the series to me. I just finished it today, what an incredibly dull and uninspired mess. I liked the open-world Conquest objectives, and London is drop-dead gorgeous (I think this is the best looking game of the year, on PC at least), but outside of that it's just... nothing. There is next to no story, the mission design is EXTREMELY dull even by this series' standards. It's all driving those damn coaches, frustrating stealth missions that encourage you not to kill anyone, and the assassinations only have 1 way to do them properly, there's zero interesting interplay of dynamics and mechanics, no emergence there whatsoever. The optional side missions involving historic figures are even worse. It's also glitchy as all hell.

Deeply disappointed with it, because it had so much potential. London is such a good location and they rendered it absolutely gorgeously, but the game therein is just dull as dishwater outside of the open-world objectives. Evie and Jacob are even likeable characters but they are given fuck-all to do until the last like, 30 minutes of the game. Baffling. Also there's a more interesting, smaller game buried inside of it which would absolutely have been a better, more interesting game to me, and I think they made a mistake not focusing on that part
The World War I stuff.

danm999

As someone who enjoyed Unity Syndicate doesn't feel very different outside of the addition of the grappling hook which is grand. Mission structure and open ended assassinations are very similar.

Oh it's a bunch of little to medium things. The open world is less bloated with collectables, doing activities feels more purposeful in that it's feeding into taking over territory which unlocks more missions and stuff.

The train hideout is dope, the controls are better and I feel less like I'm fighting against them, Jacob and Evie don't get stuck on stuff as much as Arno, It runs much better, I like the min maxing stealth and combat stuff I'm doing between the Twins, etc

From a narrative standpoint the present day stuff actually exists and feels important, and the Frye twins I'm actually finding quite likeable.

So yeah, it's a good Assassins Creed from where I'm standing, but you need to still like those games. Unity almost made me feel like I had burnt out, but I just hated Unity.

Bearing in mind that I skipped Rogue and Unity, Syndicate is the worst game in the series to me. I just finished it today, what an incredibly dull and uninspired mess. I liked the open-world Conquest objectives, and London is drop-dead gorgeous (I think this is the best looking game of the year, on PC at least), but outside of that it's just... nothing. There is next to no story, the mission design is EXTREMELY dull even by this series' standards. It's all driving those damn coaches, frustrating stealth missions that encourage you not to kill anyone, and the assassinations only have 1 way to do them properly, there's zero interesting interplay of dynamics and mechanics, no emergence there whatsoever. The optional side missions involving historic figures are even worse. It's also glitchy as all hell.

Deeply disappointed with it, because it had so much potential. London is such a good location and they rendered it absolutely gorgeously, but the game therein is just dull as dishwater outside of the open-world objectives. Evie and Jacob are even likeable characters but they are given fuck-all to do until the last like, 30 minutes of the game. Baffling.

Based on your complaints here you would have hated Unity. Syndicate is so much more focused than that game if you can believe it.

I kind of love how our two takes are like mirrors of each other's and mine is more positive because I suffered through Unity out of my sick completionist streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom