• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy Just Cause 3 is exactly what it is.

I am a bit worried it get repetitive just like 2 but I wasn't planning on buying it day 1 anyway. It seems like the posterboy steam sale game.

Also played some Destiny today. First time since they added Nolan Northbot. I do not like the new voice. Its a bit too goofy. Dinklebot had a decent mix of wise and goofy that I felt fit better. Maybe its better in the new content with a newer (hopefully better) script?

Just Cause 3 is the absolute epitome of "pick up at 50% off next winter"

The way I see it, it looks incredibly fun to play. Story...I don't think people play JC for the story, but damn it looks like a blast. I wonder how the PS4 version will hold up...

..and I think Vinny said he was flying to SF tomorrow, so I expect a long podcast with everyone on.

Oh gosh, everyones gonna be in the new studio. How surreal. Think we'll get videos?

Jintor

man just cause looks alright

*crate drops from sky, explodes into confetti delivery*

*helicoptor makes sunflowers flow with the wind*

jesus christ i need this video game

I think ep. 4 is even better.

I got ep 4 spoiled for me a little bit, so take this with a grain of salt, but (LIS ep 4 SPOILERS)

I feel like ep 4 is a twist just for a twist's sake. Granted, they do drop some hints throughout the game, but the switch to Jefferson as the villain means there were a lot of red herrings that I would have rather had be the real deal. Like Nathan's dad talking about fulfilling their family's destiny and shit. I would have really liked to see that explored as some True Detective style cult stuff, but it seems like it was just there to mislead us.

The end of ep 3, though, that's a real jaw dropper.

Lijik

Unforgiveable.

E1VDdd5.gif

kai3345

Banned
Oh man, it just occured to me: no one has completed LiS yet and they're doing GotY deliberations this week, right?

Unforgiveable.

I just finished watching the latest GB east LiS episode and they mention at the end that they're planning on possibly doing one big stream to finish the game before the end of the year

I just finished watching the latest GB east LiS episode and they mention at the end that they're planning on possibly doing one big stream to finish the game before the end of the year

I haven't seen any of GB's LiS videos, but it took me ~14 hours to finish. So I'm gonna wish them godspeed.

Also, dunno if I was just moseying around in a daze or what, but that's the longest episodic adventure game I've played. It went the complete opposite direction of TellTale's "every episode gets even more brief and low budget" problem.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I haven't seen any of GB's LiS videos, but it took me ~14 hours to finish. So I'm gonna wish them godspeed.

Also, dunno if I was just moseying around in a daze or what, but that's the longest episodic adventure game I've played. It went the complete opposite direction of TellTale's "every episode gets even more brief and low budget" problem.

To be fair they could have cut down a significant portion of 5.

Did they ever mention if they'll be talking over The Game Awards next thursday?

Don't think they will, not only is Jeff a judge but it happens late at night and they consider it Geoffs thing. That, and it tends to be a huge advertisement for 'world exclusives'

Joeku

Episode 4 is pretty much twice as long as 5, but generally, yeah. It mostly got more extensive as it went along.

Game Awards is on too late to be talked about on both the upcoming Bombcast and Beastcast. Unless Studio Nuevo is fixed up in time for a UPF style show, I don't think there is going to be much chat about those contents until Bombcast Dec 8th.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm already tired of the animation while getting into the helicopter and it's only been an hour of video. It's frustrating those are still long. 2 had the same problem.

Xater

If that game had come playing like it did and looking decent on a PS3 that early, we'd be on The Order: 1911 this year where cowboys fight werewolves, and I'd finally get the Darkwatch sequel I've secretly wanted.

Darkwatch is criminally underrated. That was a fun game.

Not shedding tears for The Order though. I played it pre-release and thought it was the most boring unimaginative thing. I was seriously shocked this was a game design in 2015.

hamchan

Oh man, it just occured to me: no one has completed LiS yet and they're doing GotY deliberations this week, right?

Unforgiveable.

It's honestly a shame that such a brilliant time travel story, has no chance to win their GOTY Best Story award, even though it deserves to easily.

I'm talking about Steins;Gate.

Joeku

Darkwatch is criminally underrated. That was a fun game.

Not shedding tears for The Order though. I played it pre-release and thought it was the most boring unimaginative thing. I was seriously shocked this was a game design in 2015.

Completely agree in both regards.

Except I'm not that shocked that The Order came out this year, but rather that it was so cynically designed in this day and age.

yami4ct

Finished Tales from the Borderlands Episode 1 today and just booted up Episode 2. Holy shit the late titlecards in this game. It's all so good.

I also state once again that Gearbox needs to get this team on board to write the next Borderlands. They clearly understand what makes the universe cool and how to wring the best humor out of it. It's nice to see the comedy be more than just 5 year old internet memes and 'I dunno, throw Claptrap in there'. It's super clever in a way I didn't expect.

demidar

Finished Tales from the Borderlands Episode 1 today and just booted up Episode 2. Holy shit the late titlecards in this game. It's all so good.

I also state once again that Gearbox needs to get this team on board to write the next Borderlands. They clearly understand what makes the universe cool and how to wring the best humor out of it. It's nice to see the comedy be more than just 5 year old internet memes and 'I dunno, throw Claptrap in there'. It's super clever in a way I didn't expect.

I dunno, Tales seems to have super authored humour which doesn't work with the ball of chaos the player is in Borderlands.

yami4ct

I dunno, Tales seems to have super authored humour which doesn't work with the ball of chaos the player is in Borderlands.

I think you could get these guys to do the main quest line and to set the tone for the world and humor and then let other writers broaden it out from there. Would be a perfect way to recover from the mess that is Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel.

jaina

The way I see it, it looks incredibly fun to play. Story...I don't think people play JC for the story, but damn it looks like a blast. I wonder how the PS4 version will hold up...

..and I think Vinny said he was flying to SF tomorrow, so I expect a long podcast with everyone on.

Oh gosh, everyones gonna be in the new studio. How surreal. Think we'll get videos?

Jeff showed on his Facebook stream that they have set up a podcast table for GOTY in the old studio. Very likely they'll record the next Bombcast there as well.

yami4ct

Anything would be better than the writing in BL2 and Presequel.

Thank god Ant Burch isn't on it anymore.

Borderlands 2 single-handedly destroyed all love I had for that world. What little I saw of the Pre-sequel seemed even worse. It took majorly positive reviews to get me to even look at TftB, but I'm glad I did.

I cannot think of writing in any other game that disappointed me more than BL2. There are more poorly written games, but BL2 failed to meet my expectations more than any other game.

Jeff showed on his Facebook stream that they have set up a podcast table for GOTY in the old studio. Very likely they'll record the next Bombcast there as well.

I hope they just have videos of shooting the shit and putting together the studio.

Borderlands 2 single-handedly destroyed all love I had for that world. What little I saw of the Pre-sequel seemed even worse. It took majorly positive reviews to get me to even look at TftB, but I'm glad I did.

I cannot think of writing in any other game that disappointed me more than BL2. There are more poorly written games, but BL2 failed to meet my expectations more than any other game.

It was maximum cringe throughout all of it. Which sucks cause the gameplay loop was great.

AcridMeat

Banned
I really enjoyed Borderlands 2 in spite of the writing. You're right, even for me there were moments where I felt bad I was having fun with the game because the writing/humor was terrible.

It makes TftB so god damn good as a result for me. Still surprised just how much it did right. I really really really hope Gearbox takes a hard look at it for the sequel. It put me in the mood for the next proper Borderlands. Any shroud of quality in characters from the Telltale series with the gameplay of Borderlands would be just fantastic.

Robby322

I have never really gotten into Borderlands (Bought 1 and 2, both couldn't hook me) but I am a huge fan of Telltale games. Should I check out Tales from the Borderlands?

I have never really gotten into Borderlands (Bought 1 and 2, both couldn't hook me) but I am a huge fan of Telltale games. Should I check out Tales from the Borderlands?

Absolutely.

I've heard people all over the scope ask for recommendations (not a fan of either, only a fan of teltale or borderlands) and they've all enjoyed it.

If Borderlands 3 has a Tales From the Borderlands connection I don't know that I'll be able to resist buying it.

Without question. It's TellTale's best game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom