• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I sometimes enjoy being stuck at an airport...let me rephrase that.
I sometimes enjoy when I can just relax and waste some time without this feeling of "I should do something productive right now! I can't just read this book for three hours, I need to do something" so weirdly enough being stuck somewhere isn't that terrifiying to me, at least if I have some stuff with me.

I spent 24 hours in a train this summer going from Vancouver to San Francisco and it was pretty awesome. Read all of Dune, which is not a great book but I enjoyed it anyway.

danm999

That's rough for Austin. Being stuck at the airport stinks.

I got stuck in LA for 8 hours once in the middle of a Sydney to New York trip which I'm pretty sure was the worst few days of my life.

Spinx

Missed opportunity

original.jpg

I'm surprised that the GBEast crew are going out to the San Fransisco offices this week.

Are they going to be recording their GOTY podcasts this week?

If so, isn't it earlier than previous years? Otherwise what are they there for?

hamchan

I'm surprised that the GBEast crew are going out to the San Fransisco offices this week.

Maybe the GOTY skits this year require them all to be there.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

Think they did it similarly early last year.

Also didn't patrick have a flight delay as well?

Zaph

Maybe this will be the Anno game I can finally get into.

It's good, I'm enjoying it. Defiantly a bit of a let down if you're already into the series, as they've simplified a lot of the systems, but no doubt this is a plus for new players.

Myggen

It's pretty much the exact same time as last year. And yeah, it's GOTY stuff.

danm999

I'm really excited to see some of the potential Quick Look combos.

Jeff and Alex?

Brad and Vinny?

Austin and Drew?

Dan and everybody?

daydream

Banned
just cause 3 might actually benefit from its late release. open world games rarely hold up when you let them sink in for awhile and realise how much (or little, as it were) of that game actually sticks with you

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm really excited to see some of the potential Quick Look combos.

Jeff and Alex?

Brad and Vinny?

Austin and Drew?

Dan and everybody?

There needs to be a Jeff and Vinny, and an Austin and Dan.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Last time Vinny visited they didn't really record any Quick Looks, don't get your hopes up too much.

repeater

All I want for GOTY is a Rock Band 4 segment where Vinny plays badly suited guitar solos over classic rock, Dan cringes and Drew and Brad share vocal duties.

Uncharted 2 is still a landmark but ROTR is better than Uncharted 1 and 3 easily.

Yup, agreed. I don't know how anyone can be bored by this when they give you shit tons of tools for you to use, diverse environments, interesting collectibles that add depth to everything around you and it's metroidvania in design so the progression within the game always feels satisfying. Going back to an old area to open someplace new never gets old.

The game also isn't as much of a shooting fest as I thought it would be. It has tons of platforming and puzzle solving even if they are easy as shit lol. They both are doing different things though, UC is mostly focused on the big ass set pieces rather than venturing off or exploration. TR is the exact opposite even though it has a few big set piece moments but they are definitely not the bread and butter of the game.

All I want for GOTY is a Rock Band segment where Vinny plays badly suited guitar solos over classic rock, Dan cringes and Drew and Brad share vocal duties.

Ehm.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yup, agreed. I don't know how anyone can be bored by this when they give you shit tons of tools to how you approach things, diverse environments, interesting collectibles that add depth to everything around you and it's metroidvania in design so the progression within the game always feels satisfying. Going back to an old area to open someplace new never gets old.

The game also isn't as much of a shooting fest as I thought it would be. It has tons of platforming and puzzle solving even if they are easy as shit lol. They both are doing different things though, UC is mostly focused on the big ass set pieces rather than venturing off or exploration. TR is the exact opposite even though it has a few big set piece moments but they are definitely not the bread and butter of the game.

Honestly I found Uncharted 2 very boring. I had to force myself to finish it. The combat just isn't very interesting. The traversal is unchallenging. I don't mind rollercoaster ride games per se, but when the scope is so limited it should have more polished game systems, which they weren't.

Naturally, I've always avoided Uncharted threads...

def sim

In this Anno QL, Austin is right about looking at a light to force a sneeze. Though, I feel like they've had this conversation before.

Honestly I found Uncharted 2 very boring. I had to force myself to finish it. The combat just isn't very interesting. The traversal is unchallenging. I don't mind rollercoaster ride games per se, but when the scope is so limited it should have more polished game systems, which they weren't.

Naturally, I've always avoided Uncharted threads...

I think overtime I found that I enjoyed the characters more then the set pieces themselves which is what brought me back to play the games, I replayed UC2 the most because of how impressive it looked at the time and the characters as always were great. UC3 also was good in that it gave us a glimpse into Drake and Sully's past.

The shooting is definitely not the strongest part of the UC games, they always felt floaty and lack oomph. I enjoyed all UC games but I loved 2 the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom