• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
that one beach house mission... I must have spent like 5 hours trying to get it to auto-play without losing anyone. and I had fun doing it. which is maybe a little weird.

I find these kinds of games naturally heighten one's own optimization instincts and desire for perfection. In a lot of games I'll often just do whatever, but in game with requirements for doing extensive and systemic planning, I tend to go for broke.

Note to self: do not argue with Austin unless I know my shit on the argument.

also it's nice to have someone as smart and articulate as Austin to take a viewpoint I share and put it into a clear and convincing argument.

e: actually it's kind of funny to me that a lot of the same people who champion free market ideals (as one probably should) are the ones to cry foul when content is changed in the name of attracting a wider audience (or, rather, not discouraging a portion of a potential audience).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
e: actually it's kind of funny to me that a lot of the same people who champion free market ideals (as one probably should) are the ones to cry foul when content is changed in the name of attracting a wider audience (or, rather, not discouraging a portion of a potential audience).

Almost like all culturally conservative arguments are inherently bunk

But yeah jesus Austin is smart and articulate

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Tbf, I think titty sliders are fine if we consider sliders for the levels of violence as fine.

Then again, my stance is always that sexuality and sexualisation is fine, it's just the lack of equality and representation in games that isn't fine. We need more like, butt and bulge sliders for men.

Tbf, I think titty sliders are fine if we consider sliders for the levels of violence as fine.

Then again, my stance is always that sexuality and sexualisation is fine, it's just the lack of equality and representation in games that isn't fine. We need more like, butt and bulge sliders for men.

Butt and bulge sliders for everyone is a campaign I can side with.

I think they're fine too but I couldn't give half a shit that they were removed.

the people griping that they can't dress the 13 year old up in super revealing clothes anymore are a special kind of asshole though

like if that's "censorship" then I guess mark me down as okay with "censorship" sometimes.

Certainly not something that's specific to games, even TV and movies will show full frontal female nudity but I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a penis.

I completely agree with your point though, we need that sort of equality across all media.

Tubobutts

Certainly not something that's specific to games, even TV and movies will show full frontal female nudity but I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a penis.

Dude have you ever seen a penis? They're scary.

And if you give me a boob, butt, or bulge slider I'm just going to put it all the way to the max.

Antiwhippy

I think they're fine too but I couldn't give half a shit that they were removed.

the people griping that they can't dress the 13 year old up in super revealing clothes anymore are a special kind of asshole though

like if that's "censorship" then I guess mark me down as okay with "censorship" sometimes.

Well sure, those people are fine to ridicule, but eh, it's just that there are some parts that are demonizing sexualisation and sexuality in games together with assholes like that.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Removing a titty size slider strikes me as wildly missing the mark and interpreting criticism of overly sexualized female characters like Quiet as "I don't like boobs", which is pretty much never the case

Antiwhippy

Sexuality also encompasses so much more than just the physical aspect.

Really though, part of the problem is that exploration of sexuality in games is just so shallow.

justjim89

The power system in FO4 is absolutely awful. Yet another clunky poorly explained mechanic in that game. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but you talk about rough edges, oof.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'Make your own character as you would like or make yourself'
'Oh we put this feature out because some people find its sexual so you can't make yourself anymore because you are a creepy sex object, right? We sure did good here.'

The boob slider is like the most Nintendo tone deaf response out there. The Lin stuff is gross and I'm glad that got changed.

Removing a titty size slider strikes me as wildly missing the mark

I don't want to over-generalize, but this is pretty much a textbook example of japanese business decisions. it's funny working with businesses over there, usually matters are handled on a scale of "this is not important" to "this is the most important" with nothing in between. if they can make a snap decision to solve a potential issue, it'll happen. if it can be avoided, it will be avoided until it absolutely cannot be put off anymore.

it's fascinating to work with japanese companies; I really wouldn't want to work FOR one

Zaph

I saw Bone Tomahawk recently and not only did it have full frontal male nudity, I don't think you ever see a single breast. crazy!

e: wait, there's totally boobs, i'm sorry

Great film that, especially going in knowing nothing about it. Managed to make violence horrific, which is becoming increasingly rare.

The whole male full frontal nudity not as prevalent as female in mainstream entertainment thing is also because male nudity actually shows genitalia, where as it's usually just female pubic hair. Only recent mainstream film that I can remember breaking this trend is Trance.

Antiwhippy

I don't want to over-generalize, but this is pretty much a textbook example of japanese business decisions. it's funny working with businesses over there, usually matters are handled on a scale of "this is not important" to "this is the most important" with nothing in between. if they can make a snap decision to solve a potential issue, it'll happen. if it can be avoided, it will be avoided until it absolutely cannot be put off anymore.

it's fascinating to work with japanese companies; I really wouldn't want to work FOR one

Honestly, Japanese work/life culture is kinda why I never found moving to Japan appealing even in my "fuck yeah Japan everything" phase.

Also seeing how woman work culture is like over there it's no real surprise that they're very often objectified in Japanese media.

Also why I find idol culture super gross.

The Just Cause 3 QL was a joy to watch, but man does that game look bad. It's taking the very worst inspiration from modern open world games and seems to have a disturbing number of design decisions ripped straight from Mad Max. I'd honestly prefer a more pure, Just Cause 2-esque kind of game, focused on "what's fun" instead of "what's rewarding." Avalanche's mission design is the worst.

A special shoutout to the headscratching UI, filled with useless information... and completely lacking a minimap. Avalanche, I just don't understand.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Speaking of boobs, I bought tomb raider 1 and 2 on steam and played an hour and a bit of 1 so far and I was right; that game controls just fine. I mean it's old and the controls take a bit of getting used to (like 20 minutes), but they're fine. Good, even.

Great film that, especially going in knowing nothing about it. Managed to make violence horrific, which is becoming increasingly rare.

it was a fascinating movie. super hard to recommend to people though because of nontraditional pacing/structure. but really cool.

Trance was great too. kind of underappreciated.

Also why I find idol culture super gross.

well if it's any consolation, it's changing somewhat. the 48G empire is still pretty gross, but just recently Dempagumi.inc, who are mostly in their mid to late 20s, and managed by a woman, just won "Best Japanese act" at an MTV award thing. indie/underground groups (usually the only ones worth listening to anyway) are largely not-gross since it's basically a hobby to most of them anyway.

not that that excuses the bad eggs, but you shouldn't mourn the entire industry too much.

Yo this Apocoliptica game sounds alright! "You play a genetically reanimated saint leading a team of holy warriors taking on neo-satan"

"Players are able to control several different religious super-soldiers that are technologically advanced in a mission to destroy Neo-Satan and his minions in locations like outer space and Nu Hades, as well as in Hell itself"

I'm in

SomberOwl

Do you guys think Jeff will have a review up for Just Cause 3? I'm getting it anyway but just wondering what he might have to say about it. I'm sure we'll hear about it on the Bombcast but a review would be cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom