• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The forums were actually better in the beginning of the site, a redesign kinda screwed them up.

Zaph

For historical reasons, it'd be really nice if Giant Bomb's forums and articles had specific post dates attached to them, instead of "x years ago."

Navigating through GB's archive basically requires google-fu and third party tools. Damn shame really, so much good stuff there but it's just hidden behind bad design decisions like the one you mentioned, awful pagination, etc.

Strax

jBfO418.png

Gimme dat talkover
gladbron.png
damn.png

The forums were actually better in the beginning of the site, a redesign kinda screwed them up.

Yeah, shame I lost my old account and had to make a new one in 2013. That's what happens when you leave the user linked to an email you no longer use. I still remember all the hype surrounding GB though as it began when they fired Jeff. Actually most of the old timers there had an account on Gamespot, I remember we used to have discussions about how this was going to "kill" GS because most of us are going to migrate to GB especially when the rest of the other duders went with Jeff. Looking up my old account I'm surprised it's still there, made in early 2007 which seems about right. Back in the PS1/PS2/Xbox days I used to lurk there and I remember I used to wait for centuries for any video I wanted to watch to load up because all we had back in the day was dial up/shitty DSL.

Once GB launched I no longer used the GS forums and only used the GB forums. Never even knew what GAF was until much later, spent a few years just lurking before joining here in 2014. You could kind of see why GS was huge, whenever I remember googling about a certain cheat in a game, Gamespot would come up first then CheatCC. Good times.

Edit: I also remember some people saying that GS would never do something like that lol. To GS's credit, they didn't, it's just that they had a shitty non informed manager.

Edit 2: Gerstmann-Gate lol.

Navigating through GB's archive basically requires google-fu and third party tools. Damn shame really, so much good stuff there but it's just hidden behind bad design decisions like the one you mentioned, awful pagination, etc.

On the bright side, they actually made videos the default searchbox result. Recently, I guess, because it'd become a habit of mine to switch it to videos results only.

Hopefully people mentioned these issues during that survey they had.

Maybe they would change it up? *shrug*

FluxWaveZ

That redesign is the specific point in time when many of the frequent GB forum posters stopped commenting (including me, who is still somehow one of the top 10 posters on the site). It really screwed things up, and the place became less intimate and way less active. Mod decisions also became more questionable during that time frame.

Also matches up with the time I joined NeoGAF.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That redesign is the specific point in time when many of the frequent GB forum posters stopped commenting (including me, who is still somehow one of the top 10 posters on the site). It really screwed things up, and the place became less intimate and way less active. Mod decisions also became more questionable during that time frame.

Also matches up with the time I joined NeoGAF.
Exactly the same thing happened to me.

Brashnir

Dan Ryckert said:
Rico's third adventure stays the course, but at least this course involves slingshotting cows off of cliffs.

So basically, this game is a remake of Dave Lang's Wreckateer.

Just listened to the Super Castlevania IV OST three times in a row on loop and still don't get how people can hate on it.

/topicnecrobump

Castlevania IV has a good soundtrack - it's just that there are better versions of pretty much every song on it in other Castlevania games.

danm999

For a game that's almost wholly based around creating gigantic explosions at every turn, the PlayStation 4 version of the game has a difficult time keeping up when things get really chaotic. While liberating towns or destroying especially large items, the frame rate frequently dips dramatically. I never felt like I lost control over Rico or missed shots (thanks in part to the game's generous auto-aim), but it was disheartening to see these technical issues considering how smoothly the PC version ran even during the most explosive situations.

Sounds like Dan ran into some of the stuff Digital Foundry saw.

Statements like that make me wonder what the 3/5 version of Just Cause 3 would be.

Also,
None of these side missions feel particularly unique (others include GTA-style rampages)
does this mean that Rico gets high and murders clowns in some of the side activities? Because that'd be... bizarre.

Yeah, everything in that review makes it sound like a game I want to play except for this part. I'll have to wait for the Bombcast tomorrow and see what he says about the technical stuff.

Sounds like it ain't making the top 10, though. Bummer!

danm999

Yeah, everything in that review makes it sound like a game I want to play except for this part. I'll have to wait for the Bombcast tomorrow and see what he says about the technical stuff.

Sounds like it ain't making the top 10, though. Bummer!

It still may if enough of them play it and like it.

Though this was really the last game left before GOTY considerations so now all the pieces are on the board.

Hmm, now that reviews are out for both, I'm placing my bet that neither Fallout nor Just Cause will crack their Top 10.

My thoughts are still:

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. Rocket League
4. Axiom Verge
5. Splatoon
6. The Witcher 3
7. Bloodborne
8. Undertale
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Fallout 4

I swapped FO4 and ROTR from the last time I posted this since it seems like they're pretty positive on Tomb Raider overall.

My thoughts are still:

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. Rocket League
4. Axiom Verge
5. Splatoon
6. The Witcher 3
7. Bloodborne
8. Undertale
10. Fallout 4

I swapped FO4 and ROTR from the last time I posted this since it seems like they're pretty positive on Tomb Raider overall.

I think that list is pretty good. I'd expect Splatoon above Axiom Verge, Witcher at 8-10 range instead of 6.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see much love for Tomb Raider at GB. I would expect LiS or Until Dawn to beat that one.

My thoughts are still:

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. Rocket League
4. Axiom Verge
5. Splatoon
6. The Witcher 3
7. Bloodborne
8. Undertale
10. Fallout 4

Has there been any years where they've put a game on the site's GotY list in spite of none of them finishing it themselves? They're going to have a heck of a time doing anything with it when every statement on the game ends with, "according to everyone else." 'Cause of this, it'll probably get bumped for some other game that they can actually argue for.

Now, as to absences... Life is Strange and Tales From the Borderland need a spot--GBEast is their only hope.

My thoughts are still:

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. Rocket League
4. Axiom Verge
5. Splatoon
6. The Witcher 3
7. Bloodborne
8. Undertale
10. Fallout 4

I think enough of them enjoyed Until Dawn enough for it to sneak in. All of GBEast seems high on it. Jason and Brad also seemed to like it.

daydream

Banned
catching up on lis and it's a bit disappointing that the photography stuff feels so, well, half-assed considering it's a pretty important motif. max being impressed by the most inane looking shots is an odd disconnect

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
catching up on lis and it's a bit disappointing that the photography stuff feels so, well, half-assed considering it's a pretty important motif. max being impressed by the most inane looking shots is an odd disconnect

I dunno, as a photographer you take plenty of shots and then decide the few that makes it through. Inane shots are part of your journey, like sketches for an artist. It's all about slowly building your own visual language.

danm999

Yeah as much as I like Life is Strange I'm not bullish at all it'll make the top ten list unless someone at GBWest has secretly been playing it all year.

daydream

Banned
I dunno, as a photographer you take plenty of shots and then decide the few that makes it through. Inane shots are part of your journey, like sketches for an artist. It's all about slowly building your own visual language.

sure. what's that got to do with my criticism, though

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just listened to the Super Castlevania IV OST three times in a row on loop and still don't get how people can hate on it.

/topicnecrobump

Very simple, it's quite mediocre except for Simon's Theme and Dracula Battle

Yeah as much as I like Life is Strange I'm not bullish at all it'll make the top ten list unless someone at GBWest has secretly been playing it all year.

All I'm expecting it Life is Strange in the conversations for best moment, best style, and best debut. Episode 4 has the best moment but 3 has the runner-up.

TraBuch

Banned
I finally took Jeff's advice and took Raw off my DVR list. I also cancelled my WWE Network sub because I can't give money to Vince McMahon any more. Feels good.

Dineren

Banned
Well the QL sold me on Just Cause 3. Not sure what is wrong with me considering I still have to finish Fallout 4 and will definitely be picking up Xenoblade this Friday. There is not enough time for all of these open world games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom