• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't read anything about Sterling, can someone explain this to me?

He has a real axe to grind with the relationship between major publishers and gaming news outlets, and he views the game awards as too incestuous for similar reasons, too wrapped up with corporate money and linking sponsored reveals to what should be artistic awards. Now, how right about that he is I don't really know, but its a position I understand

yami4ct

He has a real axe to grind with the relationship between major publishers and gaming news outlets, and he views the game awards as too incestuous for similar reasons, too wrapped up with corporate money and linking sponsored reveals to what should be artistic awards. Now, how right about that he is I don't really know, but its a position I understand

I think it's fine to have that criticism, but it's not like the TGAs are the only awards around.

i mean, we had our fun with it in synchtube but between the ijustine interviews, the commercials, the b-celebrities invited to class up the act and the unbearable "gamer" focus, i'm certainly not gonna go out of my way to disagree with someone tearing into what is clearly a trainwreck

keighley definitely puts his heart into it, though, and it was a step up from last year, so props for trying

The tone of the show makes it feel like its trying to be cheesy and classy as the same time in a way that just feels off. I enjoyed a lot of the show, but there's some really heavy cringe.

Though honestly, that's just gaming/nerd culture in general so I'm not gonna act like its exclusive to Keighley's show. He's doing a hell of a job all things considered.

The Technomancer

I think it's fine to have that criticism, but it's not like the TGAs are the only awards around.

No but they are the ones trying to be the most "legitimate" while simultaneously being the most obvious with how their as much or more a bought and paid for promotional event as a celebration of awards

yami4ct

ncktg: Real talk, and I'm only posting this because this shit isn't permenant: Hunter x Hunter is better than the wire

(that's nckillthegrimace on this forum)

He's not wrong.

No but they are the ones trying to be the most "legitimate" while simultaneously being the most obvious with how their as much or more a bought and paid for promotional event as a celebration of awards

I'm not sure if they paint themselves as the most legitimate. They act the most like an award show, but they don't sell themselves as the most honest voice in the industry or anything. I feel like something like the DICE awards does that a lot more.

totowhoa

Banned
I heard the award show was surprisingly good. True?

I think it's an improvement over last year, and last year's was probably the best one prior. It still has issues and some inevitable cringe but I didn't feel like my time was wasted a bit.

I'm half tempted to watch archives in the future because the compression is so bad live.

daydream

Banned

add to that the laughable male/female ratio in the jury and, well, let's just say it's better to not take the whole affair too seriously

i mean, we had our fun with it in synchtube but between the ijustine interviews, the commercials, the b-celebrities invited to class up the act and the unbearable "gamer" focus, i'm certainly not gonna go out of my way to disagree with someone tearing into what is clearly a trainwreck

keighley definitely puts his heart into it, though, and it was a step up from last year, so props for trying

I'll tell you what I thought of the show when I'm done my playthrough of Shadow Complex.

yami4ct

add to that the laughable male/female ratio in the jury and, well, let's just say it's better to not take the whole affair too seriously

I think it's about time we admit that all award shows are bullshit and not at all representative of the industry they claim to cover. It's best we see it as what it is (not saying we shouldn't push to fix them, though).

Eh, the oscars are the same way albeit tamer in their outward showings of the film studios.

StoveOven

Banned
I heard the award show was surprisingly good. True?

I really enjoyed watching it live and came away from the experience really positive. Definitely the best show they've done. That being said, I'm not sure it would be worth it to go and watch an entire replay. I would just recommend watching some of the highlights.

daydream

Banned
I'll tell you what I thought of the show when I'm done my playthrough of Shadow Complex.

it's good, though there are better games of its kind

cool of them to give it away, in any case

I think it's about time we admit that all award shows are bullshit and not at all representative of the industry they claim to cover. It's best we see it as what it is (not saying we shouldn't push to fix them, though).

Anyone (besides the creators being nominated) that takes awards seriously should probably calm down a bit.

no disagreement there

totowhoa

Banned
Did the guys ever say if they'd be talking over the PSE event tomorrow?

Imagine they're probably too busy. Didn't see it as upcoming on site this afternoon either, so I'm guessing not.

Megasoum

Banned
Guys... I'm playing Shadow Complex on my PC right now and this is freaking me out.

Also... There's not really anything "Remastered" about that game other than the fact that it's running on a PC in 1080p lol. Those models and textures...damn.

The Technomancer

Eh, the oscars are the same way albeit tamer in their outward showings of the film studios.

Honestly I can say that if the Oscars started doing "exclusive trailers" for upcoming films I would lose the last shred of interest I had in them

Which...okay this comes off as more negative than I mean it to. I don't mind the Game Awards, they're...fine, I guess. But Sterling's position is utterly consistent with larger opinions he's made very clear about review events and stuff

yami4ct

The academy is even more incautious in the voting, though. The animated awards for instance is typically won by whatever studio has the biggest voting block already in house. At least the TGAs try to poll the critical press, though that comes with its own problems.

StoveOven

Banned
But Sterling's position is utterly consistent with larger opinions he's made very clear about review events and stuff

Totally agreed there, but I think the way he chose to present that opinion tonight was incredibly tacky, especially going after Geoff directly with the old tweets. Part of the problem with Twitter I guess.

The academy is even more incautious in the voting, though. The animated awards for instance is typically won by whatever studio has the biggest voting block already in house. At least the TGAs try to poll the critical press, though that comes with its own problems.

Yeah, I was surprised Her Story won so many awards

Really? The western press love their indies and their WRPGs while having no time for Japan.

I mean...It kinda flew under the radar for me and all I heard this year regarding indies(Atleast lately) has been undertale, undertale, undertale. Even when Her Story came out first, it was just a small blip on my radar compared to when Undertale came out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I may give Primal the benefit of the doubt because I didn't give Syndicate it and it turned out to be one of my favorite games of the year.

The only Syndicate anyone is playing in 2015.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Was the big announcement at the VGAs just a kickstarter campaign?

Now I am starting to feel like the Giant Bomb
I played both the SNES and PC versions of Syndicate (the real one, not that FPS) not three days ago.

No, really.

I appreciate that what was happening to OG Syndicate fans when Starbreeze's Syndicate is happening to Jeff now.

From now on, Starbreeze's Syndicate should just be called 'Fake Ass Syndicate'

justjim89

How exactly did Greg Miller win the trending gamer award? I love the guy, but isn't his fanbase eclipsed exponentially by the other youtubers? His speech was great, I'm just surprised by it.

Folks are salty about it on the tumblr, it would seem. So it's probably the correct result.

Man, Sony's PS2 implementation on PS4 is incredibly deflating. No discs I can get over, but PS2 classics don't even work.

How exactly did Greg Miller win the trending gamer award? I love the guy, but isn't his fanbase eclipsed exponentially by the other youtubers? His speech was great, I'm just surprised by it.

Folks are salty about it on the tumblr, it would seem. So it's probably the correct result.

Kinda Funny is very popular. I think. Not a big fan, but great acceptance speech, though.

So, when does Kojima's employment with Konami end? I expected him to be at PSX. Now, I don't.

End of December I believe.

Man, Sony's PS2 implementation on PS4 is incredibly deflating. No discs I can get over, but PS2 classics don't even work.

Not at all surprising when they upped the resolution/frame rate and added other technical touch ups to the PS2 games. I can only hope they make a respectable library out of it.

StoveOven

Banned

I think the target audience for this show is more likely to vote for Greg Miller than Pewdiepie.

yami4ct

What are these japanese games that were not loved but deserved loooove?

Monster Hunter and Trails in the Sky SC all deserve praise they aren't getting. They are infinitely better than Lara Croft Go, which is just a pretty decent puzzle game. I can understand Trails in the Sky getting looked over because of how niche it is and it didn't come out that long ago, but Monster Hunter deserves way more than what it'll get.

Bloodborne is great, but I don't think it deserves the wins it missed. Puzzle and Dragons is an amazing game that deservers more credit, but the mobile version didn't hit this year and the handheld version is a pale imitation.

So anything big come out of the game awards? So far I caught free shadow complex, psychonauts 2 crowdfunding, and geoff calling out konami.

CVWhOsYVEAIF7P8.jpg:large

yami4ct

In the future, Telltale and Platinum will make all games.

It's a confusing future.

I keep waiting for Telltale to collapse under their own weight and become absolute garbage. That has sort of come to pass with one project and they are better than ever on others. I'm very confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom