• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
The saddest thing about Teltale's upcoming games is that 3/4 are dark/gritty humorless fantasy. And the last is minecraft.

I wanna be excited for Batman, but there's such an oversaturation of Batman that its hard for me to care about more, even though I liked their last comic book adventure game. Now if they made an X-men Telltale game....

yami4ct

The saddest thing about Teltale's upcoming games is that 3/4 are dark/gritty humorless fantasy. And the last is minecraft.

I wanna be excited for Batman, but there's such an oversaturation of Batman that its hard for me to care about more, even though I liked their last comic book adventure game. Now if they made an X-men Telltale game....

They still have an unnamed Marvel project coming. It won't be X-Men because Marvel seems uninterested in promoting them, but it'l be something.

They still have an unnamed Marvel project coming. It won't be X-Men because Marvel seems uninterested in promoting them, but it'l be something.

Right I forgot about that. If its avengers, I probably won't care though since I find them boring. If its like X-men or Punisher, I'd definitely be into that more.

yami4ct

Right I forgot about that. If its avengers, I probably won't care though since I find them boring. If its like X-men or Punisher, I'd definitely be into that more.

TellTale presents Moon Knight. Come on TT. You know you want to.

Watch it be Squirrel Girl and have the internet throw a fit. I'd die a little inside.

Why am I kidding myself? It'll be some super safe project set in the MCU.

jgminto

Dontnot already outclassed Telltale at their own game so it's hard for me to care about anything they do in that format. If they did something that was closer to the Sam & Max style or a mix of the two I'd be more interested maybe.

yami4ct

Dontnot already outclassed Telltale at their own game so it's hard for me to care about anything they do in that format. If they did something that was closer to the Sam & Max style or a mix of the two I'd be more interested maybe.

Dontnod has outclassed them completely on drama. Telltale proved they have the comedy chops, though.

Jintor

what was TT's last original project again? was it max and sam?

wait

sam and max...

that's not the name of the lis characters is it :T

jgminto

Dontnod has outclassed them completely on drama. Telltale proved they have the comedy chops, though.

But the choice based narrative is tailored towards drama, what does that add to comedy over the point and click style? There's more opportunity for fun writing in the classic style, even if a lot of it is inventory fluff.

yami4ct

But the choice based narrative is tailored towards drama, what does that add to comedy over the point and click style? There's more opportunity for fun writing in the classic style, even if a lot of it is inventory fluff.

Tales from the Borderlands proves that Telltale's style can work really well in other genres. It's their best work by a mile.

image.php

Tales from the Borderlands does it much better than any other Telltale game honestly. You get multiple options to choose from and you can see how each one plays out in often hilarious ways. In TftB, it's about choosing the option that you think is best in the moment, rather than how it'll impact future decisions/dialogue. I'd say its the first time I actually enjoyed the Telltale system in a game, rather than enjoying the game in spite of it.

jgminto

Exactly.
Tales from the Borderlands does it much better than any other Telltale game honestly. You get multiple options to choose from and you can see how each one plays out in often hilarious ways. In TftB, it's about choosing the option that you think is best in the moment, rather than how it'll impact future decisions/dialogue. I'd say its the first time I actually enjoyed the Telltale system in a game, rather than enjoying the game in spite of it.

I'll take your word for it since I've seen so little of it. Borderlands was the one I was least interested in initially but I'll check it out over the other Telltale stuff if I get the chance at this point.

Tales from the Borderland brought Telltale's adventure games to their very best limits. Unless they radically overhaul both their engine and way of developing, there's just nowhere else to go but down. And even their best is no match for DONTNOD's Life is Strange.

TellTale's in a rough spot right now.

yami4ct

Yep. I feel like TT started getting better at realizing the limitations of their format with Wolf Among Us. That game was less about pressuring you about your 'meaningful' choices and more about inhabiting your character to solve a mystery. Tales from the Borderlands takes that and uses it to even better effect. It's something LiS also does really well.

The fact we still haven't gotten another Fables/Wolf Among Us game is what has me worried about TftB. I suspect the best TT games will all end up dying after 1 season while shit like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead continue long past the point they peter out.

yami4ct

Tales from the Borderland brought Telltale's adventure games to their very best limits. Unless they radically overhaul both their engine and way of developing, there's just nowhere else to go but down. And even their best is no match for DONTNOD's Life is Strange.

TellTale's in a rough spot right now.

Visually, their games are pretty garbage, but there's no reason they can't keep throwing awesome writing in the same engine and get good results like TftB.

I'll take your word for it since I've seen so little of it. Borderlands was the one I was least interested in initially but I'll check it out over the other Telltale stuff if I get the chance at this point.

I've seen many that dislike Borderlands, Telltale, and even both and still like Tales from the Borderlands. I can't recommend it enough. Especially since its first episode is free and the game is like $7.50 on PSN right now for the VGA sales.

Yep. I feel like TT started getting better at realizing the limitations of their format with Wolf Among Us. That game was less about pressuring you about your 'meaningful' choices and more about inhabiting your character to solve a mystery. Tales from the Borderlands takes that and uses it to even better effect. It's something LiS also does really well.

The fact we still haven't gotten another Fables/Wolf Among Us game is what has me worried about TftB. I suspect the best TT games will all end up dying after 1 season while shit like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead continue long past the point they peter out.

Follow the money.

yami4ct

I've seen many that dislike Borderlands, Telltale, and even both and still like Tales from the Borderlands. I can't recommend it enough. Especially since its like $7.50 on PSN right now for the VGA sales and that's a complete steal.

Follow the money.

I actively dislike Borderlands ever since 2 killed my enthusiasm and I adored TftB. It's something special and Gearbox absolutely needs to get these guys to settle tone for wherever they go next, if not outright run the narrative.

As for the money, I can't imagine TWD Season 2 did all that well. I feel like the last few episodes+bonus DLC killed a ton of the enthusiasm around the series and there was almost zero discussion around Season 2. GoT clearly sold on name recognition alone.

I actively dislike Borderlands ever since 2 killed my enthusiasm and I adored TftB. It's something special and Gearbox absolutely needs to get these guys to settle tone for wherever they go next, if not outright run the narrative.

As for the money, I can't imagine TWD Season 2 did all that well. I feel like the last few episodes+bonus DLC killed a ton of the enthusiasm around the series and there was almost zero discussion around Season 2. GoT clearly sold on name recognition alone.

Probably, but that being said it still probably (and unfortunately) sold better than TftB and TWAU.

I was half expecting the Westwood studios part to end with "and we are teaming up again to make a MOBA!" or some crap.

Happy it didnt.

Also Eric Wolpaw is helping write psychonauts 2? Cool. Its been far too long since he has gotten to do some decent work. Writing DOTA flavour text and TF2 comics is not exactly the best use of his talents.

yami4ct

Probably, but that being said it still probably (and unfortunately) sold better than TftB and TWAU.

The fact that TWD Season 2 ended up a PS+ game kind of tells me it didn't do so hot. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine it going Plus so quickly if it was doing near Season 1 levels. Have zero clue how Borderlands did. I hope well enough.

I think all hope is lost for TWAU.

jgminto

It's a shame because a Batman adventure game could be really great. Imagine something in the old Lucasarts style with the full camp of Batman's best characters. You could investigate the colourful crime scenes of the Joker and co. and track them down as Batman. Batman's arsenal of gadgets would be great as adventure game puzzle items too. That would be so cool...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like how MKX is just becoming Terrordrome
aren't they the effective owners after lucasart bit the dust? I realise the comics exist but sam and max was always a game thing forever after.

Purcell owns them. He worked with Telltale on them but they're his IP

yami4ct

hey data west how come there's so much rampant, unchecked ogling of women in the wrestling OT

it's fucking embarrassing

It probably has to do with the way the WWE unfortunately treats their female wrestlers. Since the company treats them eye candy, it's gonna encourage that behavior.

Gestahl

I thought this was the Giant Bomb thread, not the Cry About a Single Innocuous Post in a Thread on the Other Side of the Forum I Had to Spend 5 Minutes Looking For thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom