• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Mario Maker will be top 3. Jeff and Dan are utterly in love with it. I doubt Brad will fight for that to get knocked down.

Every year I've listened and watched the Goty stuff in a regimented fashion. All of the day's podcast before any of the video.

Not this year on day five. I have to know. I have to know.

Also, I wonder what they did for the video stuff with there being no studio. Granted, a lot of the time the videos are 'home made' anyway.

Weebos

Banned

I enjoyed these as somebody who played/plays WoW. The only annoying thing about them was how wrong most of Rorie's information was.

I enjoyed keeping track of Dan's character using WoW's website as well, but that stopped working at some point. I think Dan may have deleted his character lol.

I enjoyed these as somebody who played/plays WoW. The only annoying thing about them was how wrong most of Rorie's information was.

I enjoyed keeping track of Dan's character using WoW's website as well, but that stopped working at some point. I think Dan may have deleted his character lol.

It wouldn't be Rorie if he wasn't saying something completely wrong.

You're not able to view the character once someone's subscription lapses. After Dan's free trial his character would be unavailable to view.

strafer

Can you give an example?

Saving the Beastcast for tomorrow, seems like they tore R6 a new asshole which is a shame because once you really dive into it with buddies, there's nothing like it. Played for 4 hours straight yesterday.

kvk1

Saving the Beastcast for tomorrow, seems like they tore R6 a new asshole which is a shame because once you really dive into it with buddies, there's nothing like it. Played for 4 hours straight yesterday.

Yeah, just listened to it. Jeff and Austin's take it on was pretty disheartening. I want to say it may have been a bit unfair even, but I'm kind of enamored with the game right now so my opinion isn't really objective.

The general gist of it was that they said it was more of the same from when they showed the game from a year ago, and the core gameplay is prone to become boring after you figure out the "proper" tactics for each map to easily attack or defend the objective.

I just can't see that last part being true unless you play this game all day every day with a dedicated group of the same 5 players. There are just so many different ways to tackle each map, with so many different variables from the operators to player's play style itself, it's going to be a long time before I see the game becoming stale in the way they talked about it.

Weebos

Banned
Can you give an example?

About Rorie being wrong? It was mostly game mechanics stuff, it has been awhile so I don't remember specifics.

Basically it would go like this:

Dan: Hey Rorie is there any way to do X?
Rorie: Hmmm, no, Dan, no way to do X, I remember that being annoying.
Reality: It is possible to do X in several different ways and has been for years.

Didn't happen a ton, but a lot of what Rorie said about WoW mechanics was incorrect, even for the time he was playing.

I assume it has been a long time since he played, so it is understandable, just frustrating that he is explaining things incorrectly to a newcomer.

killroy87

I love the Bomb crew, but I really wouldn't take their opinions on online MP shooters with much validity. They rarely put that much time into any of them, and almost every crew member has at one point voiced ambivalence of online multiplayer games.

i get the impression no one except for brad and maybe austin plays games online with friends, so i kinda take their (jeff especially) opinions about multiplayer online games with a grain of salt

Zornack

i get the impression no one except for brad and maybe austin plays games online with friends, so i kinda take their (jeff especially) opinions about multiplayer online games with a grain of salt

Which makes Jeff's "Mario Maker creation is fun without an audience, just play it with your friends!" defense a bit more baffling given his utter disregard for other games which require active friends to be enjoyable.

Yeah, just listened to it. Jeff and Austin's take it on was pretty disheartening. I want to say it may have been a bit unfair even, but I'm kind of enamored with the game right now so my opinion isn't really objective.

The general gist of it was that they said it was more of the same from when they showed the game from a year ago, and the core gameplay is prone to become boring after you figure out the "proper" tactics for each map to easily attack or defend the objective.

I just can't see that last part being true unless you play this game all day every day with a dedicated group of the same 5 players. There are just so many different ways to tackle each map, with so many different variables from the operators to player's play style itself, it's going to be a long time before I see the game becoming stale in the way they talked about it.

I played 6 out of the 11 maps and it's impossible to figure out the proper tactics in a map because they are made to be penetrated from many places depending on the character the other team chooses and since you'd never see what they choose, you'll never know what to expect. All I know is shit gets tense when you see mirrors, walls and ceilings getting blown up all in 5-10 seconds then you see dudes dropping in from every hole lol. The sound design is fucking fantastic.

As I said, you'd need to really dive in with a few friends to see how much this game shines. I mean I don't mind that they hate the game. It might well be not their thing since it is very dependent on team work and being real slow as well as methodical but hopefully if they ever give it a chance again they'd enjoy it, if not, I still enjoyed hearing their thoughts on it even if it was negative. Drew will be the dude that will really enjoy it.

For guys who liked R6, you played with randoms or friends?

Both but with friends you could plan alot and discuss what characters you guys would choose so you could complement each other with the skills that each character has. Basically, you'd be having better coordination and lets say better control on some of the spots on the map but even then you can't expect really what's coming when you don't know what characters the other players chose.

Here's some sweet ass gameplay from a user in the OT.

strafer

About Rorie being wrong? It was mostly game mechanics stuff, it has been awhile so I don't remember specifics.

Basically it would go like this:

Dan: Hey Rorie is there any way to do X?
Rorie: Hmmm, no, Dan, no way to do X, I remember that being annoying.
Reality: It is possible to do X in several different ways and has been for years.

Didn't happen a ton, but a lot of what Rorie said about WoW mechanics was incorrect, even for the time he was playing.

I assume it has been a long time since he played, so it is understandable, just frustrating that he is explaining things incorrectly to a newcomer.

I guess Rorie is the only one still playing WoW. I'm not sure when Brad stopped, or Jeff for that matter.

Strax

What's best game from PS2 era that had framerate issues like Fallout 4 on PS4?
Also whats the best game that came out on PS2 and PS3

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I guess Rorie is the only one still playing WoW. I'm not sure when Brad stopped, or Jeff for that matter.

I think both of them stopped before the beta ended for vanilla WoW. At least one of them did, they've talked about how the office was playing that game leading up to release and somebody was sleeping in the office to play longer.

StoveOven

Banned

That's funny, because as someone who doesn't play online games with friends, I always weigh Jeff's views of them pretty heavily.

strafer

I think both of them stopped before the beta ended for vanilla WoW. At least one of them did, they've talked about how the office was playing that game leading up to release and somebody was sleeping in the office to play longer.

Shit, they stopped that early? I guess if they both went back today they would be pretty shocked, shit has changed since then.

A LOT

StoveOven

Banned

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time, but the framerate on the PS2 version is atrocious

The first question is probably SotC, though I've never played it myself.

Asking me to choose what the best PS2 game is impossible though. I have like 6 different answers ._.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

As mentioned, SotC, and MGS3 also had a a horrendous framerate. I don't remember what else, SotC was absolutely dire though. Dips to like 14fps or something.

Strax

The first question is probably SotC, though I've never played it myself.

Asking me to choose what the best PS2 game is impossible though. I have like 6 different answers ._.

In the later Q I'm talking about games that came out on PS2 and PS3 at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom