• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

This email on the Beastcast about the guys taking personal attacks and criticism is highly relevant after the most recent Bombcast thread.

Xater

This email on the Beastcast about the guys taking personal attacks and criticism is highly relevant after the most recent Bombcast thread.

I never visit the podcast threads. (Sorry Daydream, it has nothing to do with you.) Did I miss some hilarity?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I never visit the podcast threads. (Sorry Daydream, it has nothing to do with you.) Did I miss some hilarity?

A few people said they weren't fans of austin because they think: he's pretentious, he talks over people, he's egotistical.

Then a minor argument ensued, with some accusing those people of being anti-intellectual man-children, and some of those people defending their opinions.

Honestly if people just ignored those comments in the first place it wouldn't have derailed the thread.

Edit: I should elaborate on "ignoring" those comments. Of course if people don't agree and want to voice their disagreement, then they should, but it's often clear where the conversation is going to go from the outset, especially if you engage those opinions in a combative way. If someone is being legitimately insulting, I would let the mods take care of it.

Damn, I guess the Vinny/Drew Elite: Dangerous Horizons Beta video I was hoping for won't be a thing if they still have their recording setups in boxes.

Xater

A few people said they weren't fans of austin because they think: he's pretentious, he talks over people, he's egotistical.

Then a minor argument ensued, with some accusing those people of being anti-intellectual man-children, and some of those people defending their opinions.

Honestly if people just ignored those comments in the first place it wouldn't have derailed the thread.

If those were their reasons excuse me while I roll my eyes.

Shadow Complex PC looks a little rough around the edges.

I guess this was a game from the days of Xbox Live Arcade game size limits and the game was built around that. Lighting tweaks and up resing can only go so far.

Makes me wish there was a Vita version because it kinda has that "we ported a console game to a portable and now all the graphics are kind bad" look to it.

Still. Free Shadow Complex. Cant go wrong with free and Ill still probably rebuy on PS4.

Also SOMEONE AT EPIC FINALLY SHIPPED A GAME! Its been so long.
I've seen the unreal engine on the vita

You don't want this. Trust me

repeater

He has a fucking uniform with leather gloves and gets involved in internet dramaz.

I've met a million people like him and none of them are pleasant.

Maybe he comes across better if you aren't from the UK.
You do know that the uniform and gloves is an online persona? A schtick? I doubt he walks around like that on his own time, any more than Jeff goes out clubbing as Doctor Tracksuit.

Anyway, I have no idea what he's like as a person. Maybe he's an asshole in his private life? Maybe Vinny is too? Jeff? It's really hard for us to know, and not really that important, is it? If you're avoiding all his stuff solely due to his appearance in the Jimquisition and some vague speculation about what he's like as a private person, I think you're unwarrantedly missing out on some good writing and podcasting.
But if you've given his other stuff a chance and it just isn't for you, then that's fair enough, of course.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh good, goty will be when I get forced vacation, so I can be a lazy piece of shit and consume goty content all day.

No excuses, they gave us that crappy SFxT QL when they were out of a place of work.

I expect more from the crew. This is simply unacceptable.

but really though I would take a crappy live stream through the xbone or PS4 today, shit they spend a large chunk of time on the Beastcast talking about how easy it is to stream these days so it's kinda funny that theyre not streaming anything.

Without a studio and with everything taken down, what do you think they'll be doing for their GOTY videos? Obviously they don't really need all that stuff for it, but I wonder if it hinders any of the GOTY stuff at all. Especially what they've been doing lately with looking back at one game each day or showing off their number ones.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Without a studio and with everything taken down, what do you think they'll be doing for their GOTY videos? Obviously they don't really need all that stuff for it, but I wonder if it hinders any of the GOTY stuff at all. Especially what they've been doing lately with looking back at one game each day or showing off their number ones.
I don't expect too much. One video per staff top 10, like a podcast

Typing is key. Get good at it. Maybe play typing of the dead for a half hour to warm up
I typ gud alrdy.
The less you know going in the better.

You have to decide when you're satisfied

Excellent.
Don't click The Witcher 3 on Steam. It probably won't work out anyway like it did for Jade Raymond last night.
I was led to believe Her Story was a Witcher 3 expansion.

scaffa

That is super nuts, I get the complete opposite feeling with Austin. I like hearing the dude a lot! What he's saying is informative and makes me really think about it. Couple weeks ago he was talking about the word 'interesting' and the usage of it, that really stuck with me. I'm a teacher and whenever a students asks me what I think about something I try to eleborate way more now instead of just saying 'yea cool...'.

I want a Dr. Austin Power Hour segment on every podcast! People are cray cray saying that stuff.

Zaph

So, I'm going to play Her Story tonight. Anything I should know up front?

Try to type/investigate the words the game wants you to type, and don't guess wildly or jump ahead or go down a path that doesn't feel like you earned yet (like something you may have read on the forums).

The game only really works if its played in a relatively narrow way it wants you to play it (which is contrary to the sole gameplay mechanic), and breaks easily if you don't think the way the game expects you to. I got access to the ending by typing a word I probably shouldn't have already which kinda ruined the whole flow and didn't make sense.

so, uh, did naughty dog really hire a white actress to play a black woman? They struck me as more progressive than that. Shit feels like Blackvoice. How embarrassing.

Are they telling us they really couldn't find a black actress capable of playing a black character in their game?

Sounds like something that happens when you record a whole bunch of performance capture, and then decide you want a more inclusive cast.

so, uh, did naughty dog really hire a white actress to play a black woman? They struck me as more progressive than that. Shit feels like Blackvoice. How embarrassing.

Are they telling us they really couldn't find a black actress capable of playing a black character in their game?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Did they really? That's fucking weird.

Curufinwe

Voice actors can only play people the same color as they are, got it.

strafer

Or you know, they wanted to work with Laura Bailey.

not everything is bad

I would have had her voice everyone in my game.

Laura as the mother.

Troy as the father.

Nolan as the Son

Roger as the brother.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Given underrepresentation of PoC in games yeah, hiring a white woman to play a black character is a really bad look, and also taking a job away from a woman of color. This is shit.

Try to type/investigate the words the game wants you to type, and don't guess wildly or jump ahead or go down a path that doesn't feel like you earned yet (like something you may have read on the forums).

The game only really works if its played in a relatively narrow way it wants you to play it (which is contrary to the sole gameplay mechanic), and breaks easily if you don't think the way the game expects you to. I got access to the ending by typing a word I probably shouldn't have already which kinda ruined the whole flow and didn't make sense.

Ah, noted. This is why I asked, really. I knew just enough about the game to suspect it could be "broken" with too much experimentation.

Curufinwe

wheres the outrage for darth vader? #whitevoice

Or Kratos.

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom