• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Kratos.

maxresdefault.jpg

So you don't see the difference between an African American playing a fictional god of war and a white woman playing a fictional black woman. And are also ignoring the incredibly racist history regarding white people playing black people. Also, the difficulties that black people and other people of color have trying to get the roles that tend to predominantly go to white people

you can't be serious.

Kratos was a fictional Greek person. Ares is the god of war.

oh okay you werent being serious. thank goodness

Curufinwe

Laura Bailey is as good a choice as any American voice actress to play a South African (or British or Australian) woman in Uncharted 4. It doesn't matter what color her skin is.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Don't click The Witcher 3 on Steam. It probably won't work out anyway like it did for Jade Raymond last night.
Apparently the teleprompter didn't work correctly and they gave her the wrong envelope (might be related, too). Made her look like a crazy person.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Laura Bailey is as good a choice as any American voice actress to play a South African (or British or Australian) woman in Uncharted 4. It doesn't matter what color her skin is.

False equivalence. Read slowly: People of color are underrepresented in games, both in the industry and as protagonists. White people are not. See the difference? They're giving a woman of color's job to a prolific white voice actress.

Mikey Jr.

Hey, so are these guys doing anything for PSX? I know there won't be a live stream, but are any of them actually going?

Can we maybe expect some videos?

tchocky

I never watched the Dan does WoW videos, are they any good?

Yes, Dan goes in with an open mind and not annoying dismissive Dan. I have very little knowledge of WoW so I found it helpful to learn more about the game. It is good that they have different people on each video as well.

Curufinwe

False equivalence. Read slowly: People of color are underrepresented in games, both in the industry and as protagonists. White people are not. See the difference? They're giving a woman of color's job to a prolific white voice actress.

There is no good reason to assume that it's a woman of color's job. Voice actors play people of different races all the time.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I never watched the Dan does WoW videos, are they any good?

Probably more interesting to someone who played WoW. I didn't, and didn't care much for them. Then again if you played WoW, maybe they'll be infuriating to watch, I dunno.

Here they are if you need the links.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/30-day-trial-world-of-warcraft-part-01/2300-9250/
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/30-day-trial-world-of-warcraft-part-02/2300-9287/
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/30-day-trial-world-of-warcraft-part-03/2300-9312/
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/30-day-trial-world-of-warcraft-part-04/2300-9346/

fuzzyset

I've seen those but im afraid to watch.

They're enjoyable iirc. I was deep back into WoW when I watched them, so my blood pressure rose a bit when they kept giving Dan bad/out-dated advice on WoW. As long as that stuff doesn't bother you too much, you should like it.

LiK

the response to email about personal attacks and insults on Beastcast this week should be listened by all their fans so people can stop being dumbasses.

Given underrepresentation of PoC in games yeah, hiring a white woman to play a black character is a really bad look, and also taking a job away from a woman of color. This is shit.

Definitely. It feels like the video game voice actor pool is super small and not diverse at all. Laura Bailey is in like every first party Sony game now. There must be other female voice actors right? Ditto for Troy baker being cast as a Native American in infamous. Ubisoft patiala got I right in casting Actors of Indian decent to play Anita and Sabal, although Ajhay is still played by a white dude.

Cheers, I've played more WoW than I am willing to admit so we'll see.

LiK

there are plenty of Asian and black VAs who play a wide variety of races in many games, cartoons etc. Bailey played an Asian in Binary Domain so her playing a black person is nothing crazy. Phil Lamarr is black and he's played every single type of race under the sun and yet no one even cares. People making a big deal outta nothing.

I'm more bothered that people expect characters of a particular race need to be played by a VA of the same race.

One day they need to get both Jeff's on a podcast! Bring that CBSi family together!

Westside Jeff has skyped into the Beastcast before.

please, keep up with the rich Beastcast lore

there are plenty of Asian and black VAs who play a wide variety of races in many games, cartoons etc. Bailey played an Asian in Binary Domain so her playing a black person is nothing crazy. Phil Lamarr is black and he's played every single type of race under the sun and yet no one even cares. People making a big deal outta nothing.

Part it it comes from the high profile that comes from something like Uncharted 4. Another thing to account for is that the voice actors in ND games also do the literal acting for their games, too, so it's not simply that she's voicing a person of color but also acting as one as well. That's a whole 'nother bag of chips to account for, and as I've mentioned previously there is a long and dark history regarding white people acting as persons of color.

Last, it speaks to the general issue regarding the lack of diversity in the games industry.

If you want to sit there with a straight face and tell me that Naughty Dog couldn't find a person of color qualified enough to place ping pong balls on and to do a convincing acting job then i'll stand here and say, naw bro that cant be true. I just expect more, better from Naughty Dog,

the response to email about personal attacks and insults on Beastcast this week should be listened by all their fans so people can stop being dumbasses.

People were going way over the line in this week's Bombcast thread, especially about Alex & Austin who are perhaps the ones who take that to heart most. Maybe that's why they are singled out, who knows?

I'm more bothered that people expect characters of a particular race need to be played by a VA of the same race.

you're making too much sense. pls stop.

Hell yeah. I just rewatched Overblood 2 over the last week and that three-episode stretch where they make no progress (and even go backwards a few times in the middle) is just gold.

im watching Overblood 2 now myself. Im about halfway through the second episode.

that reaction when they first see
pipo
is gold hah

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Ideally that would be the case imo.

edit: that of course would also assume that the industry isn't white-dominated to begin with, before someone brings up TJ Carson as Kratos again.

Zaph

you're making too much sense. pls stop.

Guys, you're smarter than this.

In a perfect world with fair representation and treatment, then yes, that's absolutely right and different races voicing different characters would even help to alleviate this damaging stereotype that there is a 'black way' and a 'white way' of talking.

But it ain't. There is massive inequality at play and this comes across as incredibly tone deaf especially considering black women are among the most disenfranchised when it comes to opportunities available to them.

What are the chances Brad can knock Mario Maker out of the top 3 so that I don't lose my bet with dreamy? Patrick vs Dan and the renewed enthusiasm it gave the crew for Mario Maker has ruined me.

LiK

In a perfect world with fair representation and treatment, then yes, that's absolutely right and different races voicing different characters would even help to alleviate this damaging stereotype that there is a 'black way' and a 'white way' of talking.

But it ain't. There is massive inequality at play and this comes across as incredibly tone deaf especially considering black women are among the most disenfranchised when it comes to opportunities available to them.

I believe ND is pretty smart about it and cast who they thought worked best with the rest of the cast. maybe they tried other people and they weren't as good. sure, black women are disenfranchised but that shouldn't be a specific reason on what gets them work or not as a VA when you're basically voicing everything from aliens to toasters in games. like I said, people are making a big deal outta this simply because it's UC4. if ND wants to respond to it, then i'll welcome it.

What are the chances Brad can knock Mario Maker out of the top 3 so that I don't lose my bet with dreamy? Patrick vs Dan and the renewed enthusiasm it gave the crew for Mario Maker has ruined me.

Brad openly and public questioned whether MM was an actual game or not.

if you think he's just going to sit there and let it take number one then you simply don't know our bradley that well

I believe ND is pretty smart about it and cast who they thought worked best with the rest of the cast. maybe they tried other people and they weren't as good. sure, black women are disenfranchised but that shouldn't be a specific reason on what gets them work or not as a VA when you're basically voicing everything from aliens to toasters in games. like I said, people are making a big deal outta this simply because it's UC4. if ND wants to respond to it, then i'll welcome it.

Again, it's less the voice acting that i have problems with and the actual literal acting that makes this an issue. in a film, would you be okay with a white person acting as an asian person in a film? Or a white person acting as a black person in a film (not counting the obvious satirical use of blackface in something like tropic thunder of course)?

I can kinda swallow it if it was just voice work. It's when it's also actual acting where I find it much more troubling. and it should be, really.

Tone deaf is attacking ND for having one of the industry's best voice actors play a character who has darker skin than she does.

Actually it's worse than tone deaf, it's disgusting.

this is such a weird sentiment. What's disgusting about pointing out very obvious inequalities that have existed and continue to be perpetuated? In a perfect world where everyone and everything was equal you might have a point. Until then, we should be able to call these things out. That's what it takes to get there.

Curufinwe

Tone deaf is attacking ND for having one of the industry's best voice actors play a character who has darker skin than she does.

Actually it's worse than tone deaf, it's disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom