• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
My most enduring memory with Mass Effect 1 is the part where the game misinterpreted my intent with the final choice and turned my Shepard into a raging space-racist.

I still consider the climax and ending of the first Mass Effect game to be one of the best I experienced.
From the Vigil reveal to the destruction of Sovereign, all great. Also, Sovereign's reveal was handled great. They dropped the ball hard with the Reapers after that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Because this is such a weak year for video games, I just bought ME3 in the Origin store so that I could finally play a good video game. That deluxe whatever edition is 50% off right now.

I still consider the climax and ending of the first Mass Effect game to be one of the best I experienced.
From the Vigil reveal to the destruction of Sovereign, all great. Also, Sovereign's reveal was handled great. They dropped the ball hard with the Reapers after that.
They wrote themselves into a corner that they struggled to get out of, they then did the exact same thing in Mass Effect 2.

popo

I don't listen to his tabletop podcast so I don't know the context, but that's a pretty common improv tactic to give yourself more time to think of a response.

I don't listen to that podcast. You can notice it at least once on just about any quick look or podcast. As I say, once your start hearing it you can't really miss it.

Just as an example. I was just watching the Shadowrun HK QL they did. In the first few minutes there is exchange that goes:

Vinny: Is it The Underscore?

Austin: It's The Underscore.

Vinny: All the same studio?

Austin : Same studio. Harebrained Schemes.

Vinny: Self contained games?

Austin: Self contained games.

Better than giving one word answers and fun to listen out for once you are looking for it.

Strangely endearing?

The explanation I always saw people give for why it happens in Metal Gear was that it is a way of showing interest in the person you are talking to. You repeat back the question to show you were paying attention.. Could be BS but it is a nice idea.

Kimaka

My most enduring memory with Mass Effect 1 is the part where the game misinterpreted my intent with the final choice and turned my Shepard into a raging space-racist.

I can't count how many times I had to reload because the game decided that choosing the option where I didn't like someone meant that I wanted to assault them or was a human supremacist.

Nerokis

The identity of the person who bought the $$$$$ Wu-Tang album has been identified: http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-martin-shkreli-wu-tang-clan-album/

hint: you won't like this person

Sorry Jeff

This is hilarious:

As for the Wu-Tang fans who are likely to feel queasy when they learn that he’s the owner of Once Upon a Time in Shaolin, Shkreli just shrugs. “At the end of the day,” he says, “they didn’t buy the last album or the one before that, and all they had to pay was $10.”

. . .

He hasn’t listened to Once Upon a Time in Shaolin yet. He’s saving that for a time when he’s feeling low and needs something to lift his spirits. “I could be convinced to listen to it earlier if Taylor Swift wants to hear it or something like that,” Shkreli says. “But for now, I think I’m going to kind of save it for a rainy day.”

Ok, this is a giant generalization, but what is the obsession of Witcher fans to beat up Bioware?

The Witcher vs. Mass Effect thread just screams to me yet another opportunity to rip on Bioware and shower praise on CD Project Red.

Gah. I need to stop doing posts like this and just shake my head at GAF in private.

Don't blame Witcher fans. GAF has been down on Bioware for a long time now.

Ok, this is a giant generalization, but what is the obsession of Witcher fans to beat up Bioware?

The Witcher vs. Mass Effect thread just screams to me yet another opportunity to rip on Bioware and shower praise on CD Project Red.

Gah. I need to stop doing posts like this and just shake my head at GAF in private.

The Witcher is the true super hero of this world, beating up the super baddies like MGSV, Bloodborne, and Mass Effect.

tuxfool

Banned

Yeah he totally shouldn't. Patryn was here for the endless DA:I threads.

I really like ME as a series, but damn did it go in a downhill trajectory.

My next favorite Bioware game KOTOR, was soundly beat by Obsidian's effort (even unfinished). DA was series that started out strong, had a huge dip and recovered, albeit with still a long way to go.

The only Bioware properties that didn't lose their lustre were Baldur's Gate 2 and Jade Empire.

jmood88

I love Mass Effect and I love The Witcher, so it doesn't make much sense to me. Too many people seem to have a weird "if you like this, then you can't like that" mentality and I just don't get it.

I can't count how many times I had to reload because the game decided that choosing the option where I didn't like someone meant that I wanted to assault them or was a human supremacist.

the latter part I understand, but punching everybody is the canon route, imo

Patryn

Oh, I'm well aware of Bioware's reputation on GAF. I've just noticed that on GAF, I feel like you can't go 30 posts from a mention of The Witcher for someone to talk about how it does something so much better than a Bioware game. Similarly, mention a Bioware game and you'll inevitably get someone posting about how the Witcher is superior.

Basically, this:

I love Mass Effect and I love The Witcher, so it doesn't make much sense to me. Too many people seem to have a weird "if you like this, then you can't like that" mentality and I just don't get it.

repeater

I blame GB for all this, honestly. If they'd only given Witcher 3 an honest chance, Witcher fans wouldn't have lashed out against the rest of the industry in frustration.

popo

This game is the clear thread winner for today's COOA

http://www.giantbomb.com/sentient/3030-5311/

Sentient. An FMV game from Psygnosis on PC and Playstation. Of course they could ignore the thread winner. I am not sure they have the setup to play a (nearly) 20 year old game even if they wanted to. Doesn't appear to be on GOG or Steam.

People voting for LIS in that thread too. They must have missed it having it's own slot.

Jeff just called the Wu-Tang buyer the Dickbag Pharmaceutical Dick.

GB are weirdly anti capitalist - but yeah, seems about right for this guy. In the same category as Loan Shark or Arms Dealer for me.

Tubobutts

GB are weirdly anti capitalist - but yeah, seems about right for this guy. In the same category as Loan Shark or Arms Dealer for me.

"The Great Chain has a double cheeseburger on the other end of it, and we all just need to pull on that fucking thing." - Jeff Gerstmann

AND WE'RE BACK

Choose Our Own Adventure!
LIVE SHOW ON DEC 09, 2015 02:30 PM
GBE Playdate: Life is Strange
PREMIUM LIVE SHOW ON DEC 11, 2015 01:00 PM
Unprofessional Fridays: 12/11/2015
PREMIUM LIVE SHOW ON DEC 11, 2015 06:00 PM

Bowlie

Banned
I... I think I must be the only one who hated the first hours of LiS Episode 4. But it redeemed itself for me in Ep. 5 so it's all cool

mintyice

I've been too busy with work to post in this thread and I come back and you guys are still talking about LiS.

Iw8uImG.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
This stream was magical.
The identity of the person who bought the $$$$$ Wu-Tang album has been identified: http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-martin-shkreli-wu-tang-clan-album/

hint: you won't like this person

Sorry Jeff
Wow he hasn't got a clue. Or he dug himself in such a hole that he has to rely on himself solely to feel justified. Guy is hated by everyone but he's convinced he can still buy happiness with money. Despicable.

edit: I hate how he relates what he did with the pharmaceutical pills to an athlete scoring too many points. Horrible analogy, makes me so mad.
This is the same asshole who overpriced pills
Owns a League of Legends team
Is a general knob

He's the anti-jeff.
I had to double check this to see which team it is. As of right now, there's two members and everyone else (managers, coaches, players, etc) left. I wonder if that coincided with him buying it.

justjim89

I'm so happy the place beef is heating up again. Dan shit talked Indiana and now I have to mail in. We may not have as much going on as Ohio, but he's from fucking Kansas. That's like the quintessential boring flyover state.

Nero18

I'm so happy the place beef is heating up again. Dan shit talked Indiana and now I have to mail in. We may not have as much going on as Ohio, but he's from fucking Kansas. That's like the quintessential boring flyover state.

Nobody wins in this. My view of Australia in its entirety hit rock bottom after the last war.

I liked the:
Dan: 'north bend, ehh west bend... there's some college there or something'
Jeff: 'Yeah I want to say Perdue is in Indiana...'

Like having Notre Dame in your state is a selling point at all anyway

Teddified

There are some fun amusement parks here in Ohio, but I haven't been to them in like 10+ years so my opinion isn't really relevant.

I don't know what else would be interesting about Ohio, but I also don't have any interest in any other states or traveling in general.

we could have a VA vs MD feud except MD people are too busy practicing driving like assholes to learn to use the internet

also we have a better flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom