• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

This dialog system is archaic even for 1997. What were you thinking Psygnosis?

Archaic is the wrong word there IMO, it's was actually clearly very experimental for the time.

baLeqm9.jpg

Blue Steel

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Old games like this are often really fascinating to play because there's so much in them that can actually surprise you in a way that new games cannot. Obviously some are more of a chore to play than others.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't hate it but I really don't get the hype. I still can't wait for them to go through it but I can't believe that a game with writing as bad as Life is Strange would have such hardcore fans on Giant Bomb.

The writing

isn't

bad.

Teens are awkward. It's supposed to be awkward! If I heard half the shit I said and wrote when I was 18 I'd probably die of embarrassment. LiS makes you feel an iota of that, and I guess it makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

Xater

Am actually finding this pretty interesting, it seems very ambitious.

I don't mind them playing this. It is interesting because it actually is something I don't know and it seems weird.

Would I have rather seen them play the rest of Phantasmagoria 2? Absolutely.

jmood88

The writing

isn't

bad.

Teens are awkward. It's supposed to be awkward! If I heard half the shit I said and wrote when I was 18 I'd probably die of embarrassment. LiS makes you feel an iota of that, and I guess it makes a lot of people uncomfortable.
I didn't buy that excuse when Austin kept trying to make it and I don't buy it now. None of the language used makes me feel uncomfortable, it just sounds bad. Yes, teenagers sometimes use words that they don't really know in awkward ways but not to the extent that they do in this game. And aside from that, the voice acting is not very good at all.

I'm with you. Who even voted for this? I didn't even know there was a thread.

That's why I post a list of games and tell them to play whatever they feel like from the list. I don't care much for voting to be honest, I'm more a "Here are my suggestions" kind of dude.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Now would be a perfect time to say we've seen enough of this and switch to another game. As far as I can tell, this is the entire game? Going around and managing stuff.

Xater

Now would be a perfect time to say we've seen enough of this and switch to another game. As far as I can tell, this is the entire game? Going around and managing stuff.

Interesting curiosity piece, but doesn't seem worth playing. Seems like reviews at the time were not kind to it either.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, this game seems real boring. BioForge this ain't (for some reason, that's the first thing that came to mind when it started).

Tucah

you speak so well

It'd be great to have a backup game for times like this.

Bowlie

Banned
I didn't hate it but I really don't get the hype. I still can't wait for them to go through it but I can't believe that a game with writing as bad as Life is Strange would have such hardcore fans on Giant Bomb.

After the ending of Ep. 3, I was suuper hyped. Like, "oh my god, are they really going through with this messed up reality? How is she going to live from now on knowing that even though her friend's family is together, they are probably in a miserable situation? And how is this new world, is there going to be new interactions with old people?"

But then, after some talking with Chloe and that scene in her bedroom (which did not moved me enough because I had only met that Chloe for some minutes), we went back to the old reality and yeah, none of that happened or mattered besides a strong hug between them.

I bought Ep. 4 just because of how the previous episode ended, and got played hard by Dontnod when I learned it was a ruse. A recent famous adventure game did a similar trick between its episodes and I also got mad at that.

I didn't buy that excuse when Austin kept trying to make it and I don't buy it now. None of the language used makes me feel uncomfortable, it just sounds bad. Yes, teenagers sometimes use words that they don't really know in awkward ways but not to the extent that they do in this game. And aside from that, the voice acting is not very good at all.

Calling it an excuse puts you on the wrong foot to begin with. Life is Strange never shies away from acknowledging it in the text of the game. Characters often voice criticisms about other characters. To deny its intent is, well, if you want to say the voice acting isn't good, it's an opinion. Regardless of how I feel about Life is Strange, all three at GBeast say they're really enjoying it. It's another story if they weren't and the community pestered them to finish. It's a no-lose scenario.

Klipklop's evil twin is in the new Psychonauts documentary.
cBzBpFz.jpg

If you squint it reads "Saturn sucks!" on the whiteboard.

daydream

Banned
suggested this in the synchtube chat the but the first three alone in the dark games would be perfect for cooa

they're clunky but stuff is constantly happening. lots of things to make fun of. now to convince the gb forums, i guess

Red UFO

Catching up on COOA, this is the funniest thing in ages.

"I own a book."
"Fair enough."
"See you later medtek"
"This is the shield focus centre."

TraBuch

Banned
Choose Your Own Adventure lost its appeal to me when I realized they're not going to finish anything except what insane Life Is Stange stans demand.

It's hard to get invested.
I take it you don't like Random PC Game? And Flight Club? And Quick Looks? And every other piece of content where they don't finish the game?

popo

That's why I post a list of games and tell them to play whatever they feel like from the list. I don't care much for voting to be honest, I'm more a "Here are my suggestions" kind of dude.

A valid approach but I can see them ignoring long lists. I get the impression that Vinny just quickly scans through looking for which game is mentioned most often.

Funny thing is that it was only really one dude who championed Sentient but he posted some amusing screencaps and a bunch of other people piled in on it.

Why do they need to finish a game for you to be entertained by the content?

I can see his point. If it is a funny game like Toonstruck then maybe one and done is enough but for story based games it can be over just as it is getting good.

They could still revisit games like Phantasmagoria 2 in the play day slot though. It would be a shame if they did not

Red UFO

Just think about how much better you're doing at life than people who expend energy on getting actually angry about Giant Bomb things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom