• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Right? It's baffling. It's not even nostalgia for me, because I first played the Thief games 4 years ago. But what's so hard about designing levels as functional places first? Every place you sneak into in Thief 2 feels like a functional building with believable level design and a consistent logic to it. What's so absurd about designing your stealth game protagonist to be an inherently vulnerable rogue that necessitates sneaking instead of a god damn action hero? Ugh, fuck.

I'm gonna reinstall Thief 2. Or play some more Neon Struct. That's the closest any game has come since.

You should check out Styx: Master of Shadows, my friend :) (Or give the new Thief a chance, with 700point difficulty settings active.) I loved both, but still have to finish Styx before Styx 2 comes out..

Not Drew's fault, game's a crappy stealth (and Metal Gear) game.

Come at me!

don't come at me

IllSevereKinkajou.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
I actually just got done taking over the first outpost in Far Cry 4, and it's funny how similar it felt to playing MGSV in terms of my approach.

I actually kind of preferred FC's "stealth" where I was able to throw grenades at guys and hide then pick off others with my bow. That's still really satisfying. It helps that they're much more bite size smaller areas too. If they were the same scale as MGS5's bases, It definitely wouldn't be as fun.

Plus now I have a sexy purple Robocop pistol that is awesome.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think it's fine that MGSV lets you impose your own standards for stealth. I 100% it as a pure stealth experience and the game gave me the tools to do that. But if someone wants to Rambo their way through it, so be it I guess. Sort of how I treated Dishonoured.

I mean, we still have Klei's games if we want mandatory stealth.

What other than mark of the ninja have they made that requires mandatory stealth?

edit: oh yeah, there's invisible inc. Kind of different from your traditional stealth stuff though.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

right on

The first two thief games are damn great. They pretty much nailed how first person stealth should work. I can only recall one insta-fail tailing mission -- otherwise the game was designed to let you escape and hide if caught, which often felt rewarding in itself as you could use routes that the guards could not.

Bowlie

Banned
UC timeline. The orginal gundam (though i prefer the original trilogy movies), 08th MS Team, Zeta Gundam, War in the Pocket, Char's Counter Attack, and Gundam Unicorn is a great order to go through. 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket are side stories so you dont have to watch them, but they're great shows on their own.

Skip ZZ. Everyone, even Austin says its real bad.

I bookmarked this post, thanks!

yami4ct

I bookmarked this post, thanks!

That's pretty much what I would'a told you as well. CCA is the only real stinker of that group, but there are positive aspects and it's a necessary evil.

Only thing I will add is that the Gundam The Origin manga is absolutely the best way to experience the original MSG. You get all the content of the original series adjusted for pacing, a ton of extra stuff from the other side of the war and a ton of great backstory to buildout the OYW as a concept. Vertical is putting out the manga in the US and they are doing a fantastic job. You get these nice meaty hardback volumes for sub-$20 on Amazon most the time.

Gundam The Origin is not only my favorite thing Gundam has ever done, but one of my Top 10 pieces of sci-fi in general. I really hope the OVA they're doing expands to adapt the whole thing instead of just the flashback arc. Even if they do, the CG is a bit off-putting, but it'd still absolutely be worth seeing.

yami4ct

I wonder if this has new bullshit or just stuff cribbed from Jeff's atrocities.

I'm curious if he'll end up using my idea of using a single progressive power up and a door to force a player to play through the level twice without getting hit. He did favorite it. That actually might make a level hard enough that Dan himself couldn't beat it depending on how he filled the middle.

yami4ct

Is this the soundboard Jason made?

I think that one was lost to time and this was someone recreating it in spirit via all the content Dan has put out.

Maybe they're saving Drew's first WWE PPV experience for something big like the Rumble or Wrestlemania instead of this C-tier PPV.

Drew confirmed on MGSV a while ago that he watched (or was in the process of watching) the last PPV. He was not enthused about the idea of having to finish it.

Haunted

Jeff has made some good levels before, but that latest one isn't so much an aesthetically coherent, escalating level, but just a series of difficult, singular jumps.

So maybe the best thing to happen is someone taking inspiration from some of these individual pieces and build an actual, great level around it.

tchocky

Drew confirmed on MGSV a while ago that he watched (or was in the process of watching) the last PPV. He was not enthused about the idea of having to finish it.

That was before SS he was not looking forward to watching it because it was 3 hours, They have not done a MGS since SS aired. I don't think Dan or Drew have mentioned it since.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Jeff has made some good levels before, but that latest one isn't so much an aesthetically coherent, escalating level, but just a series of difficult, singular jumps.

So maybe the best thing to happen is someone taking inspiration from some of these individual pieces and build an actual, great level around it.

He pretty much said that it was designed to be as unpleasant as possible.

Dan's been a bad influence on Jeff when it comes to Mario Maker.

He's gone from hating those sorts of levels to making them himself.

Nah. Jeff's latest level is way different then Dans usual trash.

Dan makes cheap levels. Levels that hides stuff off screen, Leaps of faith. They are puzzles with no logic behind them. Just random crap on top of random crap.

Jeff's new level uses traditional Mario stuff how they are used in the games but everything is tuned to be slightly off and ever so fucked. You always know what you are meant to do but its always super messed up.

Zaph

Just finished up Soma, shout out to the guys here who convinced me this wasn't some jump scare game. It was scary, but so much better than that. God damn, what an incredible game - the writing and the sound design especially. Felt like when I was a kid watching Alien and The Abyss for the first time. I need a lie down.

Megasoum

Banned
Starting the latest's UPF and I just realized something... They need to put a webcam in one of the Control Room's corner so that they can cut to it for reaction shots sometimes.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished up Soma, shout out to the guys here who convinced me this wasn't some jump scare game. It was scary, but so much better than that. God damn, what an incredible game - the writing and the sound design especially. Felt like when I was a kid watching Alien and The Abyss for the first time. I need a lie down.

Hell yeah, that game is fantastic, glad you like it!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Hopefully some of the GB crew ended up digging into it before GOTY discussions were done because it's a contender for some of their regular categories.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Hopefully some of the GB crew ended up digging into it before GOTY discussions were done because it's a contender for some of their regular categories.

Considering Vinny's love of The Swapper and uhhh that other game that won best story last year, I think he'd really like SOMA. Definitely best story of any game this year, easily.

Megasoum

Banned
There was another game that came out around the same time as Giant Citizen Kabuto that I remember really really wanting to play back then but I didn't have a powerful enough PC at the time.

I can't remember the name... I feel like it was a single word starting with I?

I remember you could kinda control natural disasters like calling down tornados and stuff like that.

I was fucking blown away by the graphics by then.

Edit: Ahhh found it. It was Sacrifice

tuxfool

Banned
The devs are taking the Kentucky Route Zero approach to episode relases. (Hype-destroying waits are key in this strategy.)

Heh. I guess that isn't done either.

*shrug*

I can wait. You're looking at a bona fide Wheel of Time reader, alas A Song of Ice and Fire has beaten me.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The devs are taking the Kentucky Route Zero approach to episode relases. (Hype-destroying waits are key in this strategy.)
It's pretty bad, act 1 is 3 years old next month..
I also didn't enjoy the game that much so far, so not only am I waiting for maybe another 2 years to finish it, I expect to be disappointed by it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom