• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed Marvel are offering a free month of Marvel Unlimited.

FDeZLnw.jpg

I guess I am reading comics all day

hamchan

I noticed Marvel are offering a free month of Marvel Unlimited.

FDeZLnw.jpg

I guess I am reading comics all day

It's pretty amazing value even if the app is crap and you're willing to wait on a 6 month delay. I've been subbed for a couple of years now and I've saved so much money by not buying any new comics at all.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty amazing value even if the app is crap and you're willing to wait on a 6 month delay. I've been subbed for a couple of years now and I've saved so much money by not buying any new comics at all.

The app, at least, is not nearly as bad as it once was. Last time I was subbed (last Summer?) I thought it was actually decent-to-good. But I'm sure it also depends on what device you're reading. I use a Galaxy tab S.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Am I crazy for wanting lightning returns despite not playing the other XIII games?

I just like it when dressing up is a major component.

Maybe I should just buy the new Style Savvy.

demidar

Am I crazy for wanting lightning returns despite not playing the other XIII games?

I just like it when dressing up is a major component.

Maybe I should just buy the new Style Savvy.

Xenocross X had vanity slots though. It also had individual left arm and right arm slots.

danm999

Consensus GotY is a hideous chimera of disillusionment, skewed memories, backstabbing, personal agendas and hypocrisy.

It's the best.

But more seriously I wouldn't take consensus GotY to mean anything (for the reasons stated above) except for entertainment reasons, which also includes Gaf's GotY. It is much more meaningful to see a person's individual list and the rationale behind the entries.

Indeed.

I expect no crossover between Giant Bomb's top five and mine (for the record; The Witcher 3, Life is Strange, Pillars of Eternity, Tales from the Borderlands and Cities Skyline).

But I'll be damned if I'm not looking forward to hearing their deliberations, and the arguments they all make for each game.

demidar

Indeed.

I expect no crossover between Giant Bomb's top five and mine (for the record; The Witcher 3, Life is Strange, Pillars of Eternity, Tales from the Borderlands and Cities Skyline).

But I'll be damned if I'm not looking forward to hearing their deliberations, and the arguments they all make for each game.

Yeah, I enjoy a little shitflinging every now and then.

You know how to fix that :D

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Even after the latest Bombcast, I still wonder whether VR will be a big thing. It's undoubtedly cool but I'm not sure if that'll be enough. Games like Rez are cool now because nobody has VR yet but would it still be something worth talking about a year or two after the glasses launched? Almost all the games for VR right now seem more like "side projects" (Psychonauts Rhombus of whatever), still cool and all but will it be enough to get VR started? Also having different controllers and exclusive games seems like an aditional problem, the market is already extremely seperated (I assume you need a pretty high-end PC to get something out of Oculus and Vive). Do we know how difficult it easy to "port" VR games?
I guess, I've yet to see the "killer app" for VR that makes it more than a cool thing for peopel who are into tech-stuff.

Antiwhippy

Even after the latest Bombcast, I still wonder whether VR will be a big thing. It's undoubtedly cool but I'm not sure if that'll be enough. Games like Rez are cool now because nobody has VR yet but would it still be something worth talking about a year or two after the glasses launched? Almost all the games for VR right now seem more like "side projects" (Psychonauts Rhombus of whatever), still cool and all but will it be enough to get VR started? Also having different controllers and exclusive games seems like an aditional problem, the market is already extremely seperated (I assume you need a pretty high-end PC to get something out of Oculus and Vive). Do we know how difficult it easy to "port" VR games?
I guess, I've yet to see the "killer app" for VR that makes it more than a cool thing for peopel who are into tech-stuff.

We're all going to have our brains supplanted into machines living in our own virtual fantasies for eternity anyway so I don't know why you think it won't be a big thing.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
We're all going to have our brains supplanted into machines living in our own virtual fantasies for eternity anyway so I don't know why you think it won't be a big thing.

I wonder if at some point people's virtual fantasy will consist of them doing mundane office work, waiting in line at the DMV or eating cheap instant soup because slaying dragons on the planet Zorg while having sex with 8 beautiful women won't do it anymore.

f0rk

Personally I think VR is going to be too awkward for mainstream video games for a long time and it's just going to be a bunch of cooler Kinect type games.

The cool parts that have actually real life implications are the Minority Report type shit and that's not going to happen until you can get the power of something like Oculus Rift to the size of Google Glass.

I've still yet to try any VR headset but my main anxiety is that I want to get the 'best' one, but it's looking like the pros and cons of each doesn't make it an easy choice.

I'll end up putting it off until the next generation of hardware over and over and by then VR will have flopped and it'll be indecisive people like me to blame :(

I've still yet to try any VR headset but my main anxiety is that I want to get the 'best' one, but it's looking like the pros and cons of each doesn't make it an easy choice.

I'll end up putting it off until the next generation of hardware over and over and by then VR will have flopped and it'll be indecisive people like me to blame :(

I've given up hope on getting the "best" VR shit because I've already tried that and it requires two motion controllers and a padded room, so yeah

just get whatever

Antiwhippy

I wonder if at some point people's virtual fantasy will consist of them doing mundane office work, waiting in line at the DMV or eating cheap instant soup because slaying dragons on the planet Zorg while having sex with 8 beautiful women won't do it anymore.

I actually do wonder, if our robot utopia/dystopia, where robots have supplanted humans for basic work like manufacturing and customer service, becomes true, if there will be simulator games to replace those experience. Like with euro truck simulator and farming simulator.

Maybe people will yearn to take down burger orders
because that will be the only viable way for people to encounter human contact in this dystopia.

Bowlie

Banned
Guys, about that Gundam talk that was going on here:

I've consumed a bunch of movies/mangas/animes/games about mechas, I love them. If I were to start Gundam, which has decades of content, what would be a good spot?

I know it has multiple timelines, it's like starting Marvel all over again

Guys, about that Gundam talk that was going on here:

I've consumed a bunch of movies/mangas/animes/games about mechas, I love them. If I were to start Gundam, which has decades of content, what would be a good spot?

I know it has multiple timelines, it's like starting Marvel all over again
Latest beastcast has that question answered by Austin in the email section. Not sure of the time stamp but its there somewhere.

I was at that Gundam place in Tokyo with some other GAFers back in October, I was thoroughly confused by it all. I have never watched anything Gundam related before.

SomberOwl

Consensus GotY is a hideous chimera of disillusionment, skewed memories, backstabbing, personal agendas and hypocrisy.

It's the best.

But more seriously I wouldn't take consensus GotY to mean anything (for the reasons stated above) except for entertainment reasons, which also includes Gaf's GotY. It is much more meaningful to see a person's individual list and the rationale behind the entries.

True. I also find it interesting to see what other outlets give GotY to.

Also I'm a bit new to Gaf but I imagine there is a GotY round up thread for such a thing?

I hope Jeff gets back into wrestling for the second season of Lucha Underground.

I thought this was horrible to get online (legally). If so, he probably won't even see an episode.

I have the same issues (but in a different country). I wanted to watch Season 1, but it is impossible to see the whole thing - even via Youtube (or Dailymotion). I thought about grabbing a torrent, which is available, but don't want to do that.

Single matches are good, but the whole thing would be ideal. Some UK station should just pay for it :/

Joeku

I thought this was horrible to get online (legally). If so, he probably won't even see an episode.

I have the same issues (but in a different country). I wanted to watch Season 1, but it is impossible to see the whole thing - even via Youtube (or Dailymotion). I thought about grabbing a torrent, which is available, but don't want to do that.

Single matches are good, but the whole thing would be ideal. Some UK station should just pay for it :/

I think a lot of this falls in line morally with pirating and emulating old or abandoned games you can't really buy any more. You don't have any real legal avenues to give money to the creators / content owners? I doubt they'd crucify you for it. In the case of Lucha Underground, if season 2 ever properly comes to the UK they would have a built-in fan base that only piracy could allow.

Bacon

I think a lot of this falls in line morally with pirating and emulating old or abandoned games you can't really buy any more. You don't have any real legal avenues to give money to the creators / content owners? I doubt they'd crucify you for it. In the case of Lucha Underground, if season 2 ever properly comes to the UK they would have a built-in fan base that only piracy could allow.

Isn't getting cable the legal avenue to give money to the creators?

Rainmaker

Banned
There's definitely been some things said by Lucha Underground people to the extent of "watch however you can." Of course, they'd prefer you to watch it on the actual channel but they acknowledge it isn't a wide reaching thing. I've also heard of rumors about a season one DVD set (and maybe a digital release?) in the works but not sure if that'll ever actually come to fruition. I really wish they'd get on one of the streaming services like Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom