• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

There's definitely been some things said by Lucha Underground people to the extent of "watch however you can." Of course, they'd prefer you to watch it on the actual channel but they acknowledge it isn't a wide reaching thing. I've also heard of rumors about a season one DVD set (and maybe a digital release?) in the works but not sure if that'll ever actually come to fruition. I really wish they'd get on one of the streaming services like Netflix.

This is what I'd hope for. DVD or streaming. The latter would probably be easier internationally, since I think they put that From Dusk 'Til Dawn show on Netflix outside the US already.

Guys, about that Gundam talk that was going on here:

I've consumed a bunch of movies/mangas/animes/games about mechas, I love them. If I were to start Gundam, which has decades of content, what would be a good spot?

I know it has multiple timelines, it's like starting Marvel all over again

UC timeline. The orginal gundam (though i prefer the original trilogy movies), 08th MS Team, Zeta Gundam, War in the Pocket, Char's Counter Attack, and Gundam Unicorn is a great order to go through. 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket are side stories so you dont have to watch them, but they're great shows on their own.

Skip ZZ. Everyone, even Austin says its real bad.

TuOdRKj.png

Looking at Patrick's comebacks and thinking back to the vagina bomb incident in last year's GOTY, is Patrick the only person who can get Dan to shut up? Why did he have to leave?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Looking at Patrick's comebacks and thinking back to the vagina bomb incident in last year's GOTY, is Patrick the only person who can get Dan to shut up? Why did he have to leave?

I mean the best way to get Dan to shut up is to not play his levels.

But guess who needs that youtubers/twitch exposure?

Got a link or able to elaborate on that? I skipped a lot of last years goty to avoid spoilers and just been reminded I really should go back to it.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Checked into Metal Gear Scanlon for the first time in weeks out of curiosity to see where they were. Skip ahead to a random point to hear Drew and Dan talking about how shit Phantom Menace is while Drew is sprinting full-speed at an enemy encampment, gets spotted, and is still using the Riot SMG.

I closed the tab.

Checked into Metal Gear Scanlon for the first time in weeks out of curiosity to see where they were. Skip ahead to a random point to hear Drew and Dan talking about how shit Phantom Menace is while Drew is sprinting full-speed at an enemy encampment, gets spotted, and is still using the Riot SMG.

I closed the tab.

Lol, that about sums it up for me too.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

I closed the tab.

Not Drew's fault, game's a crappy stealth (and Metal Gear) game.

Come at me!

don't come at me

Antiwhippy

Yeah, that's what I've never gotten too. It's not like drew was repeatedly being punished for how he plays so why do people want to see him change it?

Game is just ridiculously forgiving.

Megasoum

Banned
Fuckin A! I'm finally back home. Time to catch up on all the Friday GB Content.

Edit: Oh shit, I only knew about UPD and Life is Strange... I also have 2 quicklook...

Yeah, that's what I've never gotten too. It's not like drew was repeatedly being punished for how he plays so why do people want to see him change it?

Game is just ridiculously forgiving.

As much as I still enjoy MGScanlon, the annoying thing for me is almost every episode has a moment or two of "oh, that guy's waking up already?!" The game is forgiving, but Drew is making it harder for himself because of Dan's advice.

Come at me!

don't come at me

Yeah, I was just about to say that stealth really doesn't matter at all. You'll face more enemies if there's an alert, sure, but it's not like they're ever truly difficult--more of a timewaster than anything. This is compounded by the environment, which is designed to be a sandbox more than a level... which makes sense, but really brings the game down due to the sheer repetition of playing.

That said, Riot SMG is such a weird choice. It's been a while, but IIRC rubber bullets can't penetrate any armour so any advanced enemies suddenly become your worst enemy; worse still, the KO is short and the SMG's accuracy is garbage. It's like the very worst weapon to use, except in two particular mid-game missions where lethality is absolutely not an option.

MGSV is a lot like Shadow of Mordor in my mind. Fun gameplay that you can spend hours immersing yourself in, then ending abruptly with a wimper. Afterwards, you look back at it and wonder what you spent all of that time even doing.

Antiwhippy

As much as I still enjoy MGScanlon, the annoying thing for me is almost every episode has a moment or two of "oh, that guy's waking up already?!" The game is forgiving, but Drew is making it harder for himself because of Dan's advice.

It looks like pretty much the only way you'll get any challenge out of the game though.

justjim89

I mean, no game will ever be a better stealth game than Thief 2, but game designers should at least aspire for 2nd best.

Like, MGSV should have been one of the greatest games of all time. Almost all the pieces are in place. But instead it's this super-easy, ultra-forgiving "Make your own wacky fun!" gif fodder. I wish they'd at least allow you to turn on the difficulty modifiers for repeat missions on for any mission you like. That would at least add something to play the whole game like that. Maybe that's what mods are for, but still. Just another example of poor decision-making surrounding that game.

That's not even taking the bullshit story, abhorrent writing, gross-ass Quiet stuff, online tax microtransaction stuff. Even with all that aside, MGSV is probably the most disappointed I've been in a game in the last decade. And I played Thi4f and Hitman Absolution on release.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean, no game will ever be a better stealth game than Thief 2, but game designers should at least aspire for 2nd best.

It is staggering to me that fifteen years later I have not played a stealth game that seemed to learn the level design lessons from the first two Thief games. I love the genre, and I'm pretty sure I'm not missing something, but while that sort of level design is difficult its certainly not an insurmountable challenge and I don't get why no-one else is playing in the same space.

justjim89

It is staggering to me that fifteen years later I have not played a stealth game that seemed to learn the level design lessons from the first two Thief games. I love the genre, and I'm pretty sure I'm not missing something, but while that sort of level design is difficult its certainly not an insurmountable challenge and I don't get why no-one else is playing in the same space.

Right? It's baffling. It's not even nostalgia for me, because I first played the Thief games 4 years ago. But what's so hard about designing levels as functional places first? Every place you sneak into in Thief 2 feels like a functional building with believable level design and a consistent logic to it. What's so absurd about designing your stealth game protagonist to be an inherently vulnerable rogue that necessitates sneaking instead of a god damn action hero? Ugh, fuck.

I'm gonna reinstall Thief 2. Or play some more Neon Struct. That's the closest any game has come since.

Patryn

Right? It's baffling. It's not even nostalgia for me, because I first played the Thief games 4 years ago. But what's so hard about designing levels as functional places first? Every place you sneak into in Thief 2 feels like a functional building with believable level design and a consistent logic to it. What's so absurd about designing your stealth game protagonist to be an inherently vulnerable rogue that necessitates sneaking instead of a god damn action hero? Ugh, fuck.

I'm gonna reinstall Thief 2. Or play some more Neon Struct. That's the closest any game has come since.

I think companies feel that players get frustrated if they get discovered while sneaking, so they have to give the player the ability to survive detection even if they aren't the most skilled.

I hate the term "dumbing-down" but it's definitely part and parcel in the whole idea of making things more accessible. It's similar to how companies are more and more restricting character creation and character builds so as to prevent the player from crafting a stunted character (e.g. the jump masters from Oblivion).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Come at me!

don't come at me

I think you're wrong on both counts but I don't care for that discussion, no one is going to change anybody's mind anyway.

Although I will just say I don't really get the complaint that the game is forgiving of being detected. Sure it is, but if you want to play stealthy, you're rewarded for doing so in the form of better ranks and have every tool at your disposal for doing so. If you want to arbitrarily limit yourself to no-kill no-alert runs anyway, why does it matter if the game also allows for firefights?

Also, MGS4 was pretty much the same way, so it seems weird to pretend this is some new thing. Also also, Snake has always been pretty durable and every game has had a ton of (lethal) weapons, it's just that the controls for shooting and related activities have been shit until MGS4. Going Rambo has never been specifically against MGS doctrine, and saying so is pretty much entirely revisionist.

Guess I rambled on anyway. Dangit.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I should use my twitter ac and start faving patman's tweets

danm999

I think it's fine that MGSV lets you impose your own standards for stealth. I 100% it as a pure stealth experience and the game gave me the tools to do that. But if someone wants to Rambo their way through it, so be it I guess. Sort of how I treated Dishonoured.

I mean, we still have Klei's games if we want mandatory stealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom