• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

I don't know man.

Have you tried playing tales of?

Because maaaaaaaaaaaan.

The Tales of games are charming, which is more than BL2 can say. I won't say they are gaming epics, but they have pretty fun casts and have serviceable enough stories. You're there for the gameplay anyway.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The Tales of games are charming, which is more than BL2 can say. I won't say they are gaming epics, but they have pretty fun casts and have serviceable enough stories. You're there for the gameplay anyway.

I mean to be fair the only one I've played is a bit of symphonia.

But they have fun casts?

I'll take Borderlands 2 over that. Marginally.

yami4ct

I mean to be fair the only one I've played is a bit of symphonia.

But they have fun casts?

I'll take Borderlands 2 over that. Marginally.

Tales usually has a pretty cool cast of characters doing a standard anime adventure story. They aren't amazing stories, but the cast usually gets a lot of good moments for character development. Like I said, though, the battle system is 100% of the reason you're there. The fact that the characters are fun is just a bonus.

How often do they loudly yell "COOL STORY BRO?"
That's critical to know in this discussion

8-4 does a good chunk of modern Tales localization. Even if they did put in meme humor, and I don't think I've ever noticed any, it wouldn't be near as bad BL2's.

The meme-y writing invades almost every damn part of the game. Even the character abilities often have dumb names. I put over 100 hours into BL1, but couldn't do more than 20 of BL2 because I found the writing so cringeworthy. Mechanically, it's a much better game, but I really could not stand the writing. I can 100% see why someone would score it high if they could deal with that aspect.

Selling well isn't a determiner of quality either. The original Destiny sold like crazy and we all know what that game was.

the endgame would like to speak with you

yami4ct

the endgame would like to speak with you

Touche. I didn't get to the end game to find out. Like I said, I played 100 hours of BL1 and only 20 of BL2. I can only speak based on that.

Symphonia sucks.

For the best cast, you play Vesperia.

Having played Vesperia recently, the cast is great. The only problem is that the game plays much worse than modern Tales stuff. The combat is so damn slow and stilted.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The only thing I like more about BL1 over BL2 is that the siren's skill was more fun in BL1.

Mechromancer makes up for it.

Love summoner classes.

Bowlie

Banned
I wouldn't want this kind of Tales writing in a Borderlands game

Only thing I will add is that the Gundam The Origin manga is absolutely the best way to experience the original MSG. You get all the content of the original series adjusted for pacing, a ton of extra stuff from the other side of the war and a ton of great backstory to buildout the OYW as a concept. Vertical is putting out the manga in the US and they are doing a fantastic job. You get these nice meaty hardback volumes for sub-$20 on Amazon most the time.

Sorry, I missed this. If there's a manga, that's better! I find it more enjoyable (pacing issues like you mentioned) and I can read it while commuting. Thanks for the heads-up.

demidar

Having played Vesperia recently, the cast is great. The only problem is that the game plays much worse than modern Tales stuff. The combat is so damn slow and stilted.

Agreed. It's the last of the Symphonia-type battle systems but that's fine, I prefer the faster Destiny/Graces combat systems (sucks that Zesty took a step back from that).

yami4ct

Agreed. It's the last of the Symphonia-type battle systems but that's fine, I prefer the faster Destiny/Graces combat systems (sucks that Zesty took a step back from that).

Yeah. The thing I like about modern Tales combat is that it almost feels like a fighting game. You can adjust on the fly and create nice long chains if you know what you're doing. With Symphonia/Vesperia combat, I just felt like I was hammering out the same few standard combos with no room for improvisation.

Zesty is a weird sidestep. It's less flexible, but I think the character fusion adds quite a bit. I also think that the encounter design is extremely well designed for the first 2/3rds of the game and really makes that combat shine. Too bad everything goes to shit in the last 1/3rd. Still enjoyed it overall.

Also have no clue what they were thinking with the Skill system. It's so damn RNG based, which doesn't work outside of a loot based game. Tales doesn't have the quest structure to work as loot based. That system felt ripped out of a different game. It's weird.

AcridMeat

Banned
i don't enjoy playing borderlands i'm afraid to say
If they could combine the shooting of Destiny with the style/class/loot structure of Borderlands, and the AI patterns of Halo it'd be incredible. Tall order though. With TftB's writers/direction too. :O

The backlash to Borderlands 2 is reaching ridiculous levels. That game is like 80 hours long, the meme-y humor is a small part of the whole thing. I don't even like the game, though mostly because of its mechanics, but it's sitting at 90 on metacritic and sold like crazy. Let's not pretend it's universally despised.

Oh come on, this is GAF. Where Skyrim is a terrible game, Mass Effect 3 was an insult to humanity, and GTA 4 should have all of it's GOTY's revoked. Kind of chuckling at the backlash to popular well reviewed games is part of the fun.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
Fuck Dan's new level. Fuck you Dan. Fuck you Mario Maker.

It's the worst. It took me over eight hours to upload the fucking thing. I was almost delirious and half-asleep near the end, but now I feel insanely wired now that I've beat it. Can't wait to see how long it takes people to beat it, and I pray that there are no exploits. I never want to play that level again.

6AAB-0000-011A-36E8 if anyone is interested.

Holy shit, this new MM level. We are in for some fantastic moments with Patrick, especially if he gets close to the end.

How did Dan beat this?

EDIT: Seriously, Dan. I'm looking at the sub-level in the editor now and I still have no clue how this is actually possible to beat.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
When will the Mario Maker Madness end? Does someone have to die before y'all stop this senselessness? If it takes the creator over 8 hours, how is anyone else expected to do it?

DanRyckert

When will the Mario Maker Madness end? Does someone have to die before y'all stop this senselessness? If it takes the creator over 8 hours, how is anyone else expected to do it?

I think it ends here. I can't see Patrick beating this one, honestly. It's so much worse than anything I've done before.

Zaph

God damn 80min Kerbal. And that's after Vinny said he's splitting it due to length?

The backlash to Borderlands 2 is reaching ridiculous levels. That game is like 80 hours long, the meme-y humor is a small part of the whole thing. I don't even like the game, though mostly because of its mechanics, but it's sitting at 90 on metacritic and sold like crazy. Let's not pretend it's universally despised.

My very, very lame defence of the poor writing and joke quality in BL2:

It's a game designed around playing with friends, so has to account for you most likely talking over a lot of the game's dialogue and not really following the story; the jokes need to be fast, simple and obvious. Basically one of those dumb teen comedies in game form. That was my experience with it and I imagine a much different one if I played alone and actually listened to everything.

hamchan

It's the worst. It took me over eight hours to upload the fucking thing. I was almost delirious and half-asleep near the end, but now I feel insanely wired now that I've beat it. Can't wait to see how long it takes people to beat it, and I pray that there are no exploits. I never want to play that level again.

6AAB-0000-011A-36E8 if anyone is interested.

I am so lost in your level! It feels like this level is more about figuring out the right path through exploration.

DanRyckert

I am so lost in your level! It feels like this level is more about figuring out the right path through exploration.

A lot of that is necessary, but it's fucking awful even if you know every nook and cranny. I made the damn thing and it still took me over eight hours if that tells you anything.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Patman Scoops is a proven better player though so I think he'll beat it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Well, I got a POW Block, but I don't know what to do with it now.
I want a Fez-like Community here to puzzle this out. I like beating hard as shit levels, but I'm terrible at figuring puzzle levels out.

danm999

Screw it I'm back on Team Dan in this Mario Maker beef. His infectious optimism for making another human being suffer has won me over.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Dan a creator, Patrick a destroyer.
If I've learned anything from Darksiders: Fuck'em both

I give up. I'll wait for Patrick to figure it out, then I'll come back. As I said, I love getting beaten into a pulp by a level, but not when I don't know where to go or what to do.

popo

It would be funny if Patrick just ignored your new level. Didn't even attempt it. Even if he clears it there is bound to be another along soon. Sometimes the only way to win is not to play.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It would be funny if Patrick just ignored your new level. Didn't even attempt it. Even if he clears it there is bound to be another along soon. Sometimes the only way to win is not to play.

I was already thinking along those lines with the last level Dan made. It would be hilarious to me if Dan spent 8+ hours uploading and Patrick was just like "nah I'm good" and no one ever beats it.

I'm going to be little bummed out if, by the end of all of this, Patrick doesn't have a single level of his own creation. Dude's seen too much to not have something of his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom