• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in what GOTY category does Destiny compete with MGSV for worst post-launch nickel-and-diming?

The Destiny thing doesn't bother me as the game remains unchanged for the average player. It doesn't affect anyone except idiots who want to pay their way through the game.

MGSV is more egregious in that they reworked the in-game math to make spending money a more appealing option. That's fucked up.

yami4ct

The Destiny thing doesn't bother me as the game remains unchanged for the average player. It doesn't affect anyone except idiots who want to pay their way through the game.

MGSV is more egregious in that they reworked the in-game math to make spending money a more appealing option. That's fucked up.

The problem with Destiny's booster for me isn't that I'm against selling time-savers, it's that it's an awful deal. I can understand wanting to drop like $5-$10 to instantly get a new character up to the point where you could just slap equipment you already have and raid, but $30 only gets you to 25, which is apparently already super easy in Destiny.

It's pretty crazy how quickly Destiny went all in on microtransactions. They must have made a lot of money on emotes.

The game is an MMO and the problem is they aren't acting like it. There was very little chance they were going to be able to fund the continues upkeep a game like Destiny requires on $60 purchases and DLC. The fact they didn't plan for that and build these micro transaction systems in from the start shows how mismanaged the project was. Anything they tac on now is rightfully going to piss off players from the get go.

They also aren't correctly supporting a game the way an MMO needs. Content updates need to be far more regular for any of this to work out.

The problem with Destiny's booster for me isn't that I'm against selling time-savers, it's that it's an awful deal. I can understand wanting to drop like $5-$10 to instantly get a new character up to the point where you could just slap equipment you already have and raid, but $30 only gets you to 25, which is apparently already super easy in Destiny.

I can't speak for the DLC they're selling now but they included one token that takes any of your characters straight to 25 with The Taken King and it was still kinda useless because the skill trees for the subclasses are not leveled up at all.

I dunno, yeah it's a bad deal but if they made it cheaper then you would have people wailing about PAY2WINNNNNNNNN and that's a whole 'nother shitshow. So making it overpriced is fine by me though the argument can be made that it shouldn't be in there at all. Meh.

Bowlie

Banned
I don't understand, it's not like that poll meant something, right? And yet people are super salty

edit: Myggen, check here. Basically, Undertale, a game that came out this year, is winning against classics like Super Mario World, Pokémon, Super Mario 64, Smash Melee and now Zelda:OOT and people are crazy

Dineren

Banned
What is he referencing?

Gamefaqs has a greatest game of all time poll going on right now and Undertale is beating OOT.

I don't stop by gamefaqs often, but it seems like every time I do there is a greatest of poll going on. Do they just constantly run them?

Gamefaqs has a greatest game of all time poll going on right now and Undertale is beating OOT.

I don't stop by gamefaqs often, but it seems like every time I do there is a greatest of poll going on. Do they just constantly run them?

I think once a year they run the poll.

Yeah that's true. They piled on crappy systems that actively pushes players toward microtransactions.
It's pretty crazy how quickly Destiny went all in on microtransactions. They must have made a lot of money on emotes.

Is $30 even a microtransaction at that point?

Myggen

I don't understand, it's not like that poll meant something, right? And yet people are super salty

edit: Myggen, check here. Basically, Undertale, a game that came out this year, is winning against classics like Super Mario World, Pokémon, Super Mario 64, Smash Melee and now Zelda:OOT and people are crazy

GameFAQs greatest game ever made contest where Undertale beat Smash Melee to go into the finals vs OoT.

Melee fans, like usual, are real salty and Undertale is beating OoT.

Haha, that's great.

Shouldn't he also be waiting for the right launch window so he doesn't have to burn so much fuel getting to Mun? Or does that not really matter for a trip of this length?

launch windows don't have much of an impact on fuel consumption. once you're in orbit you're basically using no resources (except maybe batteries) while you wait for your target, which shouldn't take more than a few cycles at worst for Mun.

the real key is launching into the right plane, which is absurdly easy when you know how to do it. being off kilter, he makes his transfer window way narrower than it needs to be and he has to burn too much fuel to correct for it.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
You'd think you'd only ever need one

I mean it says "of all time" right there

e: or "ever", you know what I mean

The funniest part about this dumb GameFAQs drama is that people are getting wrapped up in the voting at a site where the L block from Tetris once won the character battle.

The funniest part about this dumb GameFAQs drama is that people are getting wrapped up in the voting at a site where the L block from Tetris once won the character battle.

no one wants their precious zelda losing to a game for SJWs and hipsters and shit.

Personally, I wouldn't allow a game released within the year of the poll to count just because these things need time to settle in and for players to properly reflect on them before they should be considered. But fuck it, that would mean I would need to decide how polls are run on GameFAQs and there aren't enough bridges for me to jump off of before that ever happens

daydream

Banned
Personally, I wouldn't allow a game released within the year of the poll to count just because these things need time to settle in and for players to properly reflect on them before they should be considered. But fuck it, that would mean I would need to decide how polls are run on GameFAQs and there aren't enough bridges for me to jump off of before that ever happens

my thought process exactly

I remember two Jeff-related shitstorms from back when I was an active member of the GameFAQs forums: the Twilight Princess score freakout and his firing. Back then I discounted the rumored K&L-related reason for the latter (which we now know were true) as just typical dumb gamer conspiracy theorizing. It just seemed too insane to be true.

Going by the translation now it's Kojima starting his own studio, and he's in final talks with Sony over giving them the "timed console exclusive" over whatever he makes first, which is a bit... meh. The news is that he's probably going independent, but we don't know what he's making and how he's funding it yet. Not much to discuss there yet really.

a little late on this, but yeah, looks like gamespot fucked up the translation

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-leaves-konami-enters-talks-with-sony-for-de/1100-6433133/

oops.

e: even better is that google translate gets it more accurate than GS did.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I did my duty and threw another vote on the "let's make nerds cry" pile.

feels good.

I'm torn between voting for OoT, which I genuinely believe to be the best game ever made, and voting for Undertale just to make nerds who care about gamefaqs polls mad.

In the end, I did nothing.

Brashnir

But where else will I get my Frequently Asked Questions about video games from?

Using
fine CBSi property
GameFAQs for walkthroughs and guides is perfectly fine. Visiting
fine CBSi property
GameFAQs for any other reason is worthy of derision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom