• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a code for Yakuza 5 from Gio Corsi on Twitter this Friday, it's installing now. I loved 1 and 2 on PS2 but for whatever reason 3 just bored me to tears. Kind of excited to jump back into the series, though.

As much as I love the series, even I'll admit that 3 is kind of disastrously slow for the first 20 hours or so. It kind of makes a lot of sense in the story, which is cool on an analytical level, but doesn't make for exciting gameplay.

but it's so, so Japanese in the kind of fetishization of the slow, relaxed summer themes. it's like Boku no Natsuyasumibut with street fights.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm playing through Wasteland 2, and this guy with a Pac Man tattoo just asked me to find him a CD-i. He also has a Missle Command machine.

Did...did I just find Jeff in the post apocalypse?

Xeteh

I'm playing through Wasteland 2, and this guy with a Pac Man tattoo just asked me to find him a CD-i. He also has a Missle Command machine.

Did...did I just find Jeff in the post apocalypse?

Everyone knows Jeff is in Shadowrun Hong Kong

2781650-6107267560-CMEZf.png

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I didn't see that one, but I did notice Felicia Day wanted to work for me.

CM-94O7VEAAtaqr.jpg

That was less weird when I looked it up and found out she got it as a Kickstarter backer.

As much as I love the series, even I'll admit that 3 is kind of disastrously slow for the first 20 hours or so. It kind of makes a lot of sense in the story, which is cool on an analytical level, but doesn't make for exciting gameplay.

but it's so, so Japanese in the kind of fetishization of the slow, relaxed summer themes. it's like Boku no Natsuyasumibut with street fights.

Yakuza 3 is my favorite as it was my first entry to the series, all excited to play a Japanese crime game, then screaming at my roommate that I'd been running an orphanage for the past 6 hours.

But man. Man! Talk about a slow fucking burn with a deep payoff! Those last few hours were an entire roller coaster of emotion.

demidar

I love the intro to Yakuza 3, Kiryu running an orphanage is such a bold choice and also so damn dumb! "Ayoko's money is missing and we're not eating before we have a family meeting and found out who took them!"

It's not unheard of.

Which reminds me that I read a thing about Yakuza playing Yakuza.

see, I don't know. wouldn't you think that shotguns are the bats of the gun world?

jeff's a handgun guy

I disagree. But the only thing that could settle this is a Monsterdunk.

popo

Any content talking about XCX besides the QL?

Are any of the crew playing?

Only this from the Jefflr

Anonymous asked:Will xenoblade chronicles x ever get the fame it deserves for being the bigger game than its western counterparts or are people actively trying to shut it down for being better in content than any other rpg this year ala obscure game just like they did it with games in 1998

Jeff: It’s the greatest game ever made, but everyone but you has decided to bury it as deeply as possible and pretend it doesn’t exist. Don’t tell anyone I told you. This one goes right up to the top. Here’s a photo of the man responsible for starting this conspiracy. Keep ringing the alarm, friend.

I watched Ghost in the Shell a few months ago.

That movie is terribly boring.

I do love the shitty English dub though. That crummy 90's anime dub tier of voice work has a very special place in my heart.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I watched Ghost in the Shell a few months ago.

That movie is terribly boring.

I do love the shitty English dub though. That crummy 90's anime dub tier of voice work has a very special place in my heart.

The movie was alright, I liked the first Standalone Complex series. I didn't like it so much that I've ever sought out anything else from Ghost in the Shell though.

After reading Tokyo Vice and reading about Tokyo Vice and Jake Adelstein afterwards, I've learned not to take anything that guy writes at face value. The whole book reads like a power fantasy and many parts, including Adelstein's position at various newspapers have been confirmed wrong.

That's a shame.

Dude wrote an entertaining book incorrectly classified as "nonfiction." I weirdly still kind of like the guy somewhat even though as a journalist he tends to go super sensationalist and not have very credible sources or research. Part of the problem being that he can exaggerate pretty much anything and very few people in the english-speaking world can refute it. That thing he did with Vice about JK exploitation was widely torn apart as being exaggerated at best, fabricated almost wholesale at worst.

but whatever. just take things he writes about with all due suspicion.

Joeku

I'm finding Yakuza 1's combat annoying. It's too easy to stun lock everyone, but way too hard to actually properly lock on to a character since they all slide around so much. Like, it doesn't feel like they're dodging, but rather just shifting aside my attacks.

I assume this stuff gets way better a couple entries in.

I didn't see that one, but I did notice Felicia Day wanted to work for me.

CM-94O7VEAAtaqr.jpg

That was less weird when I looked it up and found out she got it as a Kickstarter backer.

The screwed up text from the image size being slightly reduced is fucking with my head. I saw Felicia Day sliding a card across a table saying "You ever need a nigger, look me up," and had to literally triple-read it because that's what my eyes told me I saw. I don't trust my eyes.

Finishing both The Witcher 3 and The Malazan Book of the Fallen over the span of three days has pretty much torn my heart to pieces. And I haven't even seen Star Wars yet.

Dude wrote an entertaining book incorrectly classified as "nonfiction." I weirdly still kind of like the guy somewhat even though as a journalist he tends to go super sensationalist and not have very credible sources or research. Part of the problem being that he can exaggerate pretty much anything and very few people in the english-speaking world can refute it. That thing he did with Vice about JK exploitation was widely torn apart as being exaggerated at best, fabricated almost wholesale at worst.

but whatever. just take things he writes about with all due suspicion.

If he actually owned up to his book and claims being complete fabrications and just admitted that what he wrote has a novel, I would agree with you.

But instead he's a dude who has made a living lying about stuff very few people in the west know anything about and is so efficient at it, that he has been used as an expect by sites like CNN and L.A. Times. And even people call him out on it, he responds by calling them pedophiles and child molesters, sends his followers to harass them or just takes different forms of legal action.

I can't have any sympathy for that, especially when he still routinely gives a completely exaggerated image of Japanese culture.
There's lots of sources out there going through some of this stuff, but this is a pretty good run down: https://globalitewatchdog.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/jake-adelstein-tokyo-vice-japan-journalist/

i only heard about the ghost in the shell steam game a couple days before jeff streamed it

so for a good while i thought everyone was talking about the ps1 gits game which i didn't expect anyone to know/remember

it's a pretty interesting game, actually

I was a pretty big fan of this game back in the day, the combat actually felt really great. Unfortunately you can complete it in a couple of hours, which was super disappointing when I was 10 years old.

Demoskinos

3 is slow but
I think the extended bit at the orphanage does well to build up the importance of the orphanage to Kazuma. Especially considering how some of the early plot points keep revolving around the land that the orphanage sits on. So when its destroyed later on I think it gives you that real emotional impact that wouldn't be there if they just handwaved that entire segment too early.

If he actually owned up to his book and claims being complete fabrications and just admitted that what he wrote has a novel, I would agree with you.

I think we're kind of on the same page actually. but wow there's even more stuff piled up against him since I last looked. brutal.

he also likes to sell the story that the things he talks about not being covered in japanese newspapers (which I read) because they're censored or afraid or whatever. ultimately any damage this stuff could produce is pretty limited just by nature of cultural/geographical/linguistic barriers. other than perpetuating stereotypes of "weird/crazy japan"

I just got to the Leigh Alexander part of the E3 cast in the "This Year" compilation.... Fuck that, time to skip to next year.

every time. it never gets more listenable.

Yup... Star Wars was pretty great.

Yes. Pleasantly surprised at how much humor the movie has and how often it hits. A few too many winks and nudges, but, eh, it's a huge pop culture phenomenon sequel. Fury Road's still better, though!

Yakuza 5 is so good, I've been doing nothing but taxi missions for about six hours now.

I love how much work was put into all of the side content.

I can't put my finger on it but something about TFA bugs me.

is it because it's completely pandering or because it's a thinly veiled advertisement for the upcoming decade+ of new movies they want to sell you.

i thought it was pretty enjoyable for what it was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom