• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

When is the embargo up for it? I'm really curious to see what the reception ends up being. I've heard mixed things.

I'm really interested too. Out of Japan, the best I've heard is 'not as good as the original, but still fun" and I heard quite a few people saying it's much worse. I'm curious if that turns out to be the opinion overall. Hearing what that game actually is definitely shot my excitement into the toilet.

Hakkesshu

I'm really interested too. Out of Japan, the best I've heard is 'not as good as the original, but still fun" and I heard quite a few people saying it's much worse. I'm curious if that turns out to be the opinion overall. Hearing what that game actually is definitely shot my excitement into the toilet.

What is it actually, then? I just thought it was like the original XC but on a larger scale.

yami4ct

What is it actually, then? I just thought it was like the original XC but on a larger scale.

It's Xenoblade with a more simple and much worse story with a even more MMO filler thrown in. It's basically the opposite direction that I and a lot of Xenoblade fans wanted the series to go in. I think the MMO filler really held the first game back.

Jintor

It's Xenoblade with a more simple and much worse story with a even more MMO filler thrown in. It's basically the opposite direction that I and a lot of Xenoblade fans wanted the series to go in. I think the MMO filler really held the first game back.

no ace team, worse story, no super british voice actors. even with 8-4 on the clock i doubt i'll be touching this i guess

Xenoblade itself was already a pretty significant downgrade from Xenosaga III in terms of story (and essentially everything tbh), though I did really enjoy the combat and exploring the world. Hearing that X doubles down on my favorite aspects of Xenoblade as well as adding mech combat/exploring/building makes me really happy.

I'm also really liking what I'm hearing from X's OST moreso than Xenoblade, but it could just be that I think the OST works very nicely with the kind of world that game is. From what I hear of Gundam Unicorn, its OST is incredible and considered one of Sawano's best.

no ace team, worse story, no super british voice actors. even with 8-4 on the clock i doubt i'll be touching this i guess

They got Fiora and Shulk's VAs back as possible choices for MC voice acting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
X has a far, far better setting and character design though.

Xenoblade looked like rejected FF X concept art summer beachware best shite

Agreed. I even prefer the weird character models from Xenosaga 1 over Xenoblade's character designs.

And the monster and mech designs are on a completely different level as well.

yami4ct

The character designs as a whole might be a bit of a step up, but man anything that comes out of the character creator looks like an unexpressive monster. I think we'll also have to agree to disagree on the setting. The titans in Xenoblade 1 were this amazingly unique thing and I loved the way the progression across them felt. X looks so generic in comparison.

yami4ct

I have the PS3 out because Yakuza 5, so I've been playing PS3 games I missed. Guys...I think I like the PS3 controller and UI more than the PS4's. Help.

I cannot understand liking the DS3. It's such a flimsy piece of shit. It feels like its flexing in your hand. Way too small as well, and I don't have large hands. Always afraid I'm gonna break mine.

The UI is arguable. For basic things, the XMB is fine. Once you start building up a digital library it becomes absolute garbage to navigate. Sure, the PS4 interface isn't much better, but it's still an improvement on that front.

I have the PS3 out because Yakuza 5, so I've been playing PS3 games I missed. Guys...I think I like the PS3 controller and UI more than the PS4's. Help.

The UI I can totally understand. That controller is so much worse though. I have to plug my Titan One into my PS3 and use my DS4 just because of how much I dislike that controller after using a DS4.

StoveOven

Banned

I have a lot of fondness for the XMB after using it for so long, but don't kid yourself. And even as a PS3 faithful I can't defend the Dualshock 3. I really love that console because of the games I played on it, but that doesn't mean there aren't some shitty things about it.

Patrick isn't going to do this tonight. He's insistent on not skipping that music box and his step-by-step approach is going to cause him to get stuck here for a while.

yami4ct

Patrick isn't going to do this tonight. He's insistent on not skipping that music box and his step-by-step approach is going to cause him to get stuck here for a while.

I'd never take a bet against Patrick's tenacity and luck. I think he might not make it tonight, but I also think he might totally accidentally make it to the end.

"This is one of the greatest games of all time"

Mario Maker game of the generation.

Yeah I guess Dan's actually leaning to it for GOTY. Jeff almost certainly is. At this point, Brad is probably the biggest hurdle against it and even then he has a lot of qualms with MGS V for its story. Would this be GB's first Nintendo-made GOTY?

Oh and I don't know if there's a good way to make checkpoints too devious. You have to be able to beat it without checkpoints AND with checkpoints, so you can't have them screw you over to the point of impossibility and you also can't require them to win.

Baby voice making a comeback lmao

Yeah I guess Dan's actually leaning to it for GOTY. Jeff almost certainly is. At this point, Brad is probably the biggest hurdle against it and even then he has a lot of qualms with MGS V for its story. Would this be GB's first Nintendo-made GOTY?

Its gonna be fun regardless of what wins

Its gonna be Destiny.

KingKong

I finally started doing the Fallout 4 main story quests

holy shit

this is the worst story and plot in any game I've played, no exaggeration. it makes less sense than E.Y.E. and is a million times number than a Battlefield game

yami4ct

Only thing that can stop Patrick now is if he gets sidetracked and starts going different directions. He's got this.

Baby voice making a comeback lmao

Its gonna be fun regardless of what wins

Its gonna be Destiny.

GOTY is gonna be real real fun. I have a feeling Dan's deep adoration for MGS as a series is going to push MGSV to the top of his list and him pushing it will get it to the top. Mario Maker could easily upset it, though. Just Cause is still a wild card as well.

I still put money on Destiny getting DQed for being a glorified GOTY edition. No way it doesn't. Shoe-in for 2015's 2014 GOTY. which is quite an accomplishment given where it started.

I cannot understand liking the DS3. It's such a flimsy piece of shit. It feels like its flexing in your hand. Way too small as well, and I don't have large hands. Always afraid I'm gonna break mine.

The UI is arguable. For basic things, the XMB is fine. Once you start building up a digital library it becomes absolute garbage to navigate. Sure, the PS4 interface isn't much better, but it's still an improvement on that front.

The UI I can totally understand. That controller is so much worse though. I have to plug my Titan One into my PS3 and use my DS4 just because of how much I dislike that controller after using a DS4.

I have a lot of fondness for the XMB after using it for so long, but don't kid yourself. And even as a PS3 faithful I can't defend the Dualshock 3. I really love that console because of the games I played on it, but that doesn't mean there aren't some shitty things about it.

The DS3's battery life is way better, and I prefer the looser sticks for pretty much everything except shooters. And I don't play that shit, so whatever. I might be biased because my PS4 sticks are peeling, however.

yami4ct

And there it is. Dan's final card. What a dick thing to do. Haha.

Overall, this level seems way tamer than the Ryckoning. A bit harder on the platforming, maybe, but once you figure out the couple tricks it has it's done. Dan's gonna have to do better to keep Patrick down.

And there it is. Dan's final card. What a dick thing to do. Haha.

Overall, this level seems way tamer than the Ryckoning. A bit harder on the platforming, maybe, but once you figure out the couple tricks it has it's done. Dan's gonna have to do better to keep Patrick down.

I think this actually took Patrick longer than the Ryckoning. The lack of the time limit just makes it seem less frantic.

yami4ct

Definitely locks in SMM in 2nd after MGSV. Wonder what's 3rd....Fallout?

I think Fallout will be out of the Top 3. Austin is really hot on it, but I think the bad console versions and Jeff coming off kind of lukewarm overall will keep it down. Maybe Just Cuase if that's good? Should be interesting to see. Bloodborne could easily make Top 5 as well, but I don't think it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom