• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yeah it's a shame about the squads. They changed it frm the beta though that you at least can see your buddies in the game.

That's a step in the right direction but it's just not the same. There is something special about BF when you and four people rush towards a point, explosions everywhere and you really need to work as a squad to keep each other alive. Had some great moments in BF4 thanks to the squads (and classes) and without it I'm just not interested in a MP game anymore.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Those sports games you mentioned tend to have a robust single player. That's the difference between those and Battlefront. I brought up CS:GO because that drop system is an added thing to strive for, not dependent of gameplay.

And good gameplay...again, Battlefront is shallow. The hours I played of it, it's not promising. .
I'm not talking about Battlefront at all, just about that multiplayer statement. Not sure why you would bring up singleplayer, either, when we're talking about progression in multiplayer.

derFeef

That's a step in the right direction but it's just not the same. There is something special about BF when you and four people rush towards a point, explosions everywhere and you really need to work as a squad to keep each other alive. Had some great moments in BF4 thanks to the squads (and classes) and without it I'm just not interested in a MP game anymore.

I completely agree. Sadly I don't have buddies anymore that roll with me in multiplayer games so I can live with that. It's a sad advantage, hah.

I'm not talking about Battlefront at all, just about that multiplayer statement. Not sure why you would bring up singleplayer, either, when we're talking about progression in multiplayer.

Then that's a different discussion, but he's not entirely wrong.(And I'm mainly talking about Battlefront)

danm999

All of the good word of mouth for Tales from the Borderlands makes me want to pick it up. Is it new characters are do they focus on established ones?

Focuses on new characters for the most part (the main characters are both new). It's a pretty strong cast that works really well. VO is amazing, soundtrack is outta sight, comedy hits very well.

Existing characters do appear though, however they're far less cloying than they are in the other Borderlands games and in some cases do stuff with them that made me actually like them.

Also I just finished watching Back to the Future 1 for the first time in years, how was that Telltale game?

Pretty forgettable honestly. If you're a super fan try it out I guess but if you've played more modern Telltale stuff you may find it hard to deal with.

Valkyria Chronicles guys hold me

May the bloodline live forever.

Zoggy

fallout 4 already got boring so i used console commands and made the game 100x better yolo.

still waiting for curvy booty mods tho

All of the good word of mouth for Tales from the Borderlands makes me want to pick it up. Is it new characters are do they focus on established ones?
It's all new characters for the most part. There are a couple of characters from the other games but you don't need to play those games to enjoy Tales.

Nero18

The Battlefront reviews are really interesting. Most reviewers say they dont comment value and let the readers decide but most scores seem to reflect that very thing. The game in itself seems solid, keeping my pre order.

I almost caved on Battlefront because it looks so damn good and nails the Star Wars look perfectly but, really, I know if I want that MP shooter fix, I'd rather go back to BF4. The vehicle system specifically turns me off to the game.

I almost caved on Battlefront because it looks so damn good and nails the Star Wars look perfectly but, really, I know if I want that MP shooter fix, I'd rather go back to BF4. The vehicle system specifically turns me off to the game.
I was in the same boat but thank god for the EA Access trial. Battlefront is light years away from Battlefield.

Have to add that I don't care about the value and would have been fine with what's in the game if it were better.

Star Wars still deserves a proper multiplayer sandbox type game. The vehicles especially could have been so cool.

Zaph

The Battlefront reviews are really interesting. Most reviewers say they dont comment value and let the readers decide but most scores seem to reflect that very thing. The game in itself seems solid, keeping my pre order.

If any professional reviewers have proclaimed that, and then backtracked in their Battlefront review, it's probably because they realised it's a nonsensical stance to take in the first place, and completely impractical for gaming as a modern medium. With the way content is now split with B2P, F2P, micro-transactions, season passes, online monetisation, pre-order exclusives, retailer exclusives, etc - value has never been a more important factor of reviews.

Claiming to ignore value, then touching on any of those subjects, is hypocritical.

Nero18

If any professional reviewers have proclaimed that, and then backtracked in their Battlefront review, it's probably because they realised it's a nonsensical stance to take in the first place, and completely impractical for gaming as a modern medium. With the way content is now split with B2P, F2P, micro-transactions, season passes, online monetisation, pre-order exclusives, retailer exclusives, etc - value has never been a more important factor of reviews.

Claiming to ignore value, then touching on any of those subjects, is hypocritical.

I feel like many reviewers have made that claim, and it sorta makes sense. It has become complicated enough to were it is practically impossible to factor it in.

The boring example is Dota 2. I have played more than 300 hours of that game and have payed next to nothing, in a review were value is accounted for Dota 2 comes out as one of the best games ever made.

Oh god, just catching up on that Fallout 4 review garbage

"I don't like when people review things low"

What the fuck?

Haven't listened to RT for a long while, but around when I stopped this almost seemed like a company mandate. So many times they would specifically state they don't want to say anything negative about games. It just came off weird like they didn't want to accidentally piss off anyone they could possibly work with or something.

Zaph

I feel like many reviewers have made that claim, and it sorta makes sense. It has become complicated enough to were it is practically impossible to factor it in.

The boring example is Dota 2. I have played more than 300 hours of that game and have payed next to nothing, in a review were value is accounted for Dota 2 comes out as one of the best games ever made.

Like everything, it's relative. You don't have to factor in value to every single review - unless you're going back to the old days of a Gamespot-esqe score formula - because it doesn't always apply, such as in your example.

But again, I find it hard to believe any professional reviewer would make a blanket statement of never factoring in review scores.

Xater

BF5 is coming next year. I just fear that it might follow the Battlefront model. Meaning not doing a SP campaign (that part I would be fine with because BF campaigns so far were trash) and at the same time not delivering a comprehensive MP package. I might be weird but when I look at a game skipping a campaign I kinda expect at least double the amount of maps I usually get from an MP mode. Quake 3 came with 26 maps, just to remind people that Mp only games once had a good amount of content. Don't even get me started on UT which was an even better package because of the modes and mutators. They also added new official maps through patches.

Dan always had a weirdly value focused review bias ala Capitan Todd.

And he was completely right. Captain Toad was too content light for the asking price. I have played it but felt cheated by the end.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't listened to RT for a long while, but around when I stopped this almost seemed like a company mandate. So many times they would specifically state they don't want to say anything negative about games. It just came off weird like they didn't want to accidentally piss off anyone they could possibly work with or something.
Maybe they have a general positive vibe as a goal for their content, that's not the worst thing in the world. Don't ask others to do the same, though.

Some people were talking about whether a modder could fix the game on consoles, this mod is in the works.

Apparently the existing textures are high resolution but with a lot of compression, this guy is, one by one optimizing the textures by decompressing the textures and lower the resolution and applying better compression. It's hard to know now the impact on visuals but by the description, the highly compressed higher resolution textures look no better than the lower res textures.

Early Fallout 4 Texture Optimization Mod

Texture replacement should definitely be something supported on consoles, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this there if the developer sticks with it. Seems labor intensive though.

Oh man, just went through everything concerning Patrick's night stream. Great shit, I kind of doubted him winning it but he did it, we'll see what's next now since Dan said immediately he's thinking about stuff for the next level haha.

On another note, I feel like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is a much better game than Star Wars: Battlefront for many different reasons.

1) It's 40$ as opposed to 60$
2) It's a spin off game that surprisingly has great gameplay and ideas within each level
3) Tons of shit to collect
4) It's doing something new when it comes to Nintendo games
5) Damn charming and creative
6) Fantastic soundtrack

I feel that after the novelty of playing a Star Wars game wears off, the game will just be another "FPS shooter" whereas with Captain Toad it'll always be a small spin-off game that was way better than everyone else thought it would be.

mintyice

Some people were talking about whether a modder could fix the game on consoles, this mod is in the works.

Apparently the existing textures are high resolution but with a lot of compression, this guy is, one by one optimizing the textures by decompressing the textures and lower the resolution and applying better compression. It's hard to know now the impact on visuals but by the description, the highly compressed higher resolution textures look no better than the lower res textures.

Texture replacement should definitely be something supported on consoles, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this there if the developer sticks with it. Seems labor intensive though.

Am I crazy or does the mod make the textures look better?

Why does the site keep giving me a login error when I try to sign at first in but let's me in the second time? It's been doing this for a while.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

How can some dude have a better way of compressing textures than a giant game (and engine) developer?

This seems fucking sad.

This seems fucking sad.

yet TOTALLY explains why my hard drive starts losing its mind when I walk long distances outdoors in the game.

also explains why they recommend a minimum of 2gb vram.

Looking at the comparison photos, I can't see any difference between them.

which is kind of exactly the point. he says it's noticeable on smaller objects, but only barely. regardless, the game already looks like shit most of the time, so I figure I'm not losing much in my quest for performance

People really don't like Battlefront having average reviews. I'm seeing a lot more "review excuses" in that thread than I saw in any Fallout threads.

which is kind of exactly the point. he says it's noticeable on smaller objects, but only barely. regardless, the game already looks like shit most of the time, so I figure I'm not losing much in my quest for performance

I'll be able to pump up some other graphic stuff with that mod so i'm down for it!

Am I crazy or does the mod make the textures look better?

Well, he's just decompressing, lower the resolution of and recompressing them so they shouldn't look better but they don't appear to look any worse, which is the key here. If they look nicer in some of the images, it's likely just the lighting or angle.

DamnBoxes

nice, 3/5

thank you dan ryckert for keeping it real

cs-wkirgwveron.gif

SWBF is also reviewing a lot lower than F4.

It is, but that review excuse graphic popped up even before Fallout embargo was up. I just found it funny that now people are making a lot of excuses for Battlefront when it's not even reviewing poorly. There are a lot of comments like "reviewers don't understand" and similar. The comment trend of wanting Fallout 4 to review poorly and Battlefront to review well is strange.

mintyice

Looking at the comparison photos, I can't see any difference between them.

Well, he's just decompressing, lower the resolution of and recompressing them so they shouldn't look better but they don't appear to look any worse, which is the key here. If they look nicer in some of the images, it's likely just the lighting or angle.

They look a little sharper along the edges. The full sized ones have a slight blurriness to them. Wouldn't downsampling make it sharper?

It is, but that review excuse graphic popped up even before Fallout embargo was up. I just found it funny that now people are making a lot of excuses for Battlefront when it's not even reviewing poorly. There are a lot of comments like "reviewers don't understand" and similar. The comment trend of wanting Fallout 4 to review poorly and Battlefront to review well is strange.
Yeah, it's pretty funny how those review threads are pretty much the polar opposite. The pre-release need for Fallout 4 to fail was intense.

They look a little sharper along the edges. The full sized ones have a slight blurriness to them. Wouldn't downsampling make it sharper?

might depend on the compression being used, but might also be a sign of your computer having fewer issues streaming reasonably sized textures?

Weird, the best thing about them is when they talk more about what they did or about themselves in general so you get a better idea of them as people. It's the reason why after listening to them for so long they feel like friends/distant relatives. Different strokes for different folks I guess but as long as they talk about whatever the fuck they want in the podcast then that's fine with me. I'd hate it if they were limited or had to follow a set of dumb rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom