• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Undertale won't be snubbed for soundtrack.

Heavensward will though and that's way sadder.

It's too bad they locked a good Final Fantasy soundtrack (and, apparently a very good FF game) behind a subscription based MMO. Tons of people, including me, don't have time or money to deal with subscriptions.

It's too bad they locked a good Final Fantasy soundtrack (and, apparently a very good FF game) behind a subscription based MMO. Tons of people, including me, don't have time or money to deal with subscriptions.

Eh, the sheer amount of content in that game totally justifies the prices. I don't like subscribing to MMOs either, but FFXIV is really good. I've only paid for a sub once and have made a decent dent into the Heavensward's content.

And of course, the entire OST is on youtube if you really want to listen.

Edit: Obviously it means its much (and understandably) harder for anyone from GB to cover it, especially when the only MMO player on staff would rather play WoW instead. Ian as far as I know is the only reason related to the staff who actually plays. It'll probably be somewhere on his GOTY list if he does one.

yami4ct

Eh, the sheer amount of content in that game totally justifies the prices. I don't like subscribing to MMOs either, but FFXIV is really good. I've only paid for a sub once and have made a decent dent into the Heavensward's content.

And of course, the entire OST is on youtube if you really want to listen.

Edit: Obviously it means its much (and understandably) harder for anyone from GB to cover it, especially when the only MMO player on staff would rather play WoW instead. Ian as far as I know is the only reason related to the staff who actually plays. It'll probably be somewhere on his GOTY list if he does one.

I'm not saying that FF XIV isn't worth paying a sub for. I'm just saying the vast majority of people don't want anything to do with a subscription based MMO no matter how good it is.

I'm not saying that FF XIV isn't worth paying a sub for. I'm just saying the vast majority of people don't want anything to do with a subscription based MMO no matter how good it is.

Yup, but part of the reason its as good as it is, is because it's a subscription based MMO where they can continuously make significant patches to the game to keep adding content. But you're right that its just a consequence of being a sub based MMO and there's very little chance of this game going F2P for several years.

Scizzy

Patrick will beat Dan's next level, but Dan will be the true winner because he will learn that a well-cooked plate of tofu is delicious.

AcridMeat

Banned
Focuses on new characters for the most part (the main characters are both new). It's a pretty strong cast that works really well. VO is amazing, soundtrack is outta sight, comedy hits very well.

Existing characters do appear though, however they're far less cloying than they are in the other Borderlands games and in some cases do stuff with them that made me actually like them.

Pretty forgettable honestly. If you're a super fan try it out I guess but if you've played more modern Telltale stuff you may find it hard to deal with.
That sounds pretty fantastic! I'm actually happy to hear it's new characters because despite loving Borderlands 1 & 2, I've never felt any attachment to any of the characters.

Also I'm starting to remember their discussions about BTTF, and it was pretty middling yeah. I'll stick with using the Delorean in Rocket League.
Haven't listened to RT for a long while, but around when I stopped this almost seemed like a company mandate. So many times they would specifically state they don't want to say anything negative about games. It just came off weird like they didn't want to accidentally piss off anyone they could possibly work with or something.
This is a good attitude to have to produce fun content for the masses, but it's not applicable if they want to also put out a round table discussion show digging into games/coverage.
Some people were talking about whether a modder could fix the game on consoles, this mod is in the works.

Apparently the existing textures are high resolution but with a lot of compression, this guy is, one by one optimizing the textures by decompressing the textures and lower the resolution and applying better compression. It's hard to know now the impact on visuals but by the description, the highly compressed higher resolution textures look no better than the lower res textures.

Early Fallout 4 Texture Optimization Mod

Texture replacement should definitely be something supported on consoles, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this there if the developer sticks with it. Seems labor intensive though.
This is just sad to see. Can't wait for a more final version to release though haha.
Is it just me or has everything EA been putting out lately felt incredibly incomplete? And not just on a bug level
Not just you, it makes me very fearful for Mirror's Edge 2.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I can definitely relate with wanting Dan to shut up more on the Bombcast whenever he's not talking about games. I pretty much can't stand him whenever he talks about anything that's not games, and I can barely stand him to begin with.

Hindl

popo

A lot of OT chat must be super annoying if you don't actually like the people involved. I dislike a lot of Sports pundits for this very reason. The guy in that OP was actually super straight about what he is looking for. The only amazing thing is how it took him several years to realise.

The Top Gear analogy still holds true. The OT bullshit has become the show. Sooner or later Jeff will punch Drew in the face because he couldn't get a hot meal and Amazon will buy them.

Giant Bomb has always been really personality driven, so its kind of weird after years of listening he's finally had it with the off-topic discussion (which at this point most people prefer because fuck video games) from people he's never really liked.

Undertale is very strong in terms of songs that sound good when played in 15-second chunks off a laptop speaker, so I would not be surprised to see it take best music.

Random Fallout question.

Do companions have some kind of loyalty quest if they like you enough or something?

Because Piper REALLY likes me but I want to travel with Nick for a while and I am wondering if I should just keep going with Piper if there is a payoff.

Zaph

I can definitely relate with wanting Dan to shut up more on the Bombcast whenever he's not talking about games. I pretty much can't stand him whenever he talks about anything that's not games, and I can barely stand him to begin with.

Kau5itI.gif

Haunted

Could you all recommend a gaming podcast that doesnt have unrelated chit chat?
Daft Souls

UK-based, people from PCGamer and other publications. No bullshit, usually getting into the game talk straight away. Lots of industry talk.

Watch out for Fireballs

In-depth discussion of a single game each episode, like "we talk you through the game every step of the way for several hours" in-depth. Skip the 5 minute comedy skit they do at the start of every episode and you're good to go with hours of straight talk about a game and nothing else.

The other podcasts I listen to have plenty of chit chat (Match 3, Idle Thumbs, Beastcast).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Assassin's Creed Syndicate has some fantastic music in it as well.

Been a good year for game music. And it's not all chiptunes retro nostalgic pandering stuff either.

Haunted

Dropsy, Undertale and Read-Only Memories are all gonna get snubbed for Best Original Music and I'm sad about it.
Dropsy is ok, Read Only Memories is good, but not best of the year worthy (end credits are something special with the way that game ends, though). Undertale could be a contender, though funnily enough I've enjoyed a certain fan remix more than any single song from that OST.

My personal favourites that might get overlooked are Rebel Galaxy and Ori and the Blind Forest.

FStop7

Banned
So wait, what was the rooster teeth controversy?

Some yelltube edgelords with pip boys and fallout branding are upset about other peoples' opinions

I sort of agree with him. I don't agree with what he wrote about 8-4 because A) I find the talk about life as expats in another country and culture to be very interesting and B) they rarely let it go on for long unless someone has a good story.

But the Bombcast, yeah. It was one thing when Vinny and Patrick were around and had Vinny Dad Stories, etc. But without them? The OT stuff is bad, real bad. I've listened regularly since the first Arrow Pointing Down podcast. But I haven't listened to the Bombcast in weeks and I don't particularly miss it. The Beastcast has replaced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom