• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineren

Banned
Fallout finally clicked for me, and it was the crafting. Holy shit does that system need a better tutorial, but once you get the hang of it, it's fun as hell.

Just made a dope automatic pipe rifle with a suppressor and long range recon sights (which tags enemies!). Fires .38 because I have like 800 rounds of that.

One day I'll make it to Diamond City...

It seems a bit easy to create really overpowered weapons, but I can't stop playing around with weapons mods. I don't usually bother with crafting, but I've been putting points into gun nut and science every chance I get.

I wasn't expecting much of Fallout 4, but aside from its garbage dialogue system I've really been enjoying it. I didn't get to Diamond City for probably 20 hours because I was enjoying just wandering the wasteland so much. I just wish Fallout 3 and NV had this combat system so I could actually enjoy playing them as well.

Edit: Saw this on RPS this morning. There is a mod to display the full script lines in the dialogue system. Still not great, but at least you can tell what you're going to say.

KingKong

Even on PC, Jeff wasn't enamoured with the janky nature of FO4.

the jankiness, the bad scripting/animation, the poor dialogue and story and the bad quest design just completely take you out of the game.

if in other RPGs you end up actually playing a role, here you just want to get through the dialogue as quickly as possible. whats the point of doing the sarcastic line and the follow up question if you have to accept the quest anyway

tuxfool

Banned
the jankiness, the bad scripting/animation, the poor dialogue and story and the bad quest design just completely take you out of the game.

Those are certainly a few among many of my criticisms of the game. Jeff didn't seem to mention them though (I would consider scripting and animation jank). The VO (with a few exceptions) is terrible, the story is a pile of stupid and the writing is the usual Bethesda tier.

Also the fact that they insist on watering down the RPG elements to a watery grass broth, and yet keep things like encumbrance.

Zaph

Fallout finally clicked for me, and it was the crafting. Holy shit does that system need a better tutorial, but once you get the hang of it, it's fun as hell.

Just made a dope automatic pipe rifle with a suppressor and long range recon sights (which tags enemies!). Fires .38 because I have like 800 rounds of that.

One day I'll make it to Diamond City...

I wish I could get into it, because weapon crafting/modifying is often one of my favourite mechanics, but any fun is completely sapped away by the Pip Boy interface. All the added mechanics have really outgrown it.

Maybe I've been spoilt on MMO's and cRPG's, but I have little tolerance for the endless monochromatic lists in Fallout. I'd probably pay the price of the game again for a paperdoll and icon based UI.

if in other RPGs you end up actually playing a role, here you just want to get through the dialogue as quickly as possible. whats the point of doing the sarcastic line and the follow up question if you have to accept the quest anyway

I talked to that BoS guy with every sarcastic/asshole option I had and he was still like "good to have you aboard."

sure, ok

then I stole everything that wasn't locked down

I really hope Austin and GBeast have a big impact on the GOTY stuff and not allow GBwest to assert their dominance. They clearly have differing opinions about a lot of the games.

does this mean no GBeast choose your own adventure this week??

I'm assuming the Amiibo Festival Festival ate up that time slot.

I really hope Austin and GBeast have a big impact on the GOTY stuff and not allow GBwest to assert their dominance. They clearly have differing opinions about a lot of the games.

Austin will not be able to defeat the Shoemaker Filibuster until his dissertation is complete.

I actually think the QLEX is pretty damn cool for Just Cause 3 (at least the first 20 minutes or so I've watched). The person playing is pretty awesome at showing the cool shit and traversal and it's definitely fun to watch.

I'm assuming the Amiibo Festival Festival ate up that time slot.

GBE Streams are always at 7PM (my time), and Festival Festival is planned as a 10PM thing (my time). There is a gap... although maybe they are doing something else instead. Other than Just Cause, GBE have had no QLs up this week, so maybe they are taking the time to do a few of those instead.

Xater

I talked to that BoS guy with every sarcastic/asshole option I had and he was still like "good to have you aboard."

sure, ok

then I stole everything that wasn't locked down

Like I have said, it's a bad RPG.

The Just Cause 3 QL still sold me on the game. The problem of the Gamescom demo I played was that it just was 4 different challenges which doesn't give you any feeling for the open world shenanigans.

Dan last year was a little bit muted, the Tropical Freeze episode notwithstanding.

But then, Austin should technically be the 'best' at reasoned debate. Which means at GOTY....he'll have no influence whatsoever!

Strax

The VO (with a few exceptions) is terrible, the story is a pile of stupid and the writing is the usual Bethesda tier.

I really disagree with this. I've played something like 50 hours so I haven't seen it all
People saying the script is bad fall in to three groups

A) Don't know a lot about writing (in a creative medium)
B) Listen to the "the script is bad" folks on NeoGAF and just repeat it without thinking
C) A mix of A and B

Put this script and VO in The Witcher 3 engine and people would be praising it for its depth.
But I do think the talk options should be 100% spelled out so the player can see it all like in past games.

Its above average script and VO.

I said the writing, not the script. There is a great deal more to game writing than simply writing out a script.

Same goes for the writing

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. Rocket League
4. Axiom Verge
5. Splatoon
6. The Witcher 3
7. Bloodborne
8. Undertale
9. Fallout 4
10. Rise of the Tomb Raider

Subject to change in the event of Just Cause 3.

Myggen

I figured I'd add a couple more images to the Linkle page on the GB Wiki and did a Google Image search... yeah, I should've expected those results I guess. Deviantart has been hard at work.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
someone fucked up

QR6kTcN.png
Aren't they back to that naming scheme in general?

edit: Oh, the EX!

hamchan

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. Rocket League
4. Axiom Verge
5. Splatoon
6. The Witcher 3
7. Bloodborne
8. Undertale
9. Fallout 4

The question is how can TW3 be in the top 10 when the all of the staff can't even bring themselves to finish it?

Dineren

Banned
But I do think the talk options should be 100% spelled out so the player can see it all like in past games.

Reposting this in case it was missed:
There is a mod to display the full script lines in the dialogue system.

So far I've liked the writing better than Fallout 3, but overall I haven't been that impressed. There have been some great moments, but for the most part it seems like the usual Bethesda writing.

justjim89

The question is how can TW3 be in the top 10 when the all of the staff can't even bring themselves to finish it?

I think Dan, Brad, and Jason have all played enough of it to recognize its quality enough to put it in the top 10. Having no drive to finish it, plus the amount of patches that tweaked performance, movement, and menus will undoubtedly cost it a high spot, but it would be positively insane to not put it on the list.

Zornack

At this point I'm also thinking that it won't be. Maybe in a worse year it could have but there are too many great contenders this year for TW3 to make it, imo.

Patryn

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. Rocket League
4. Axiom Verge
5. Splatoon
6. The Witcher 3
7. Bloodborne
8. Undertale
9. Fallout 4

I think Tomb Raider will be higher than Fallout. I also don't see Axiom beating Splatoon.

I also think Undertale is too low. Remember Dan played and liked it.

Dineren

Banned
I don't think there is any chance TW3 makes the top 10 unless someone goes back and starts playing it again. There are just too many other games everyone has liked this year.

Fireblend

Banned
SMM at #1 is too good. I'll cry tears of joy if it happens.

I don't see Axiom Verge making it that high.

Undertale at 7-8 sounds about right.

No Life is Strange?

Everyone was really high on that game when it came out. Brad's main complaint was the console performance was kinda jacked, which has since been fixed (and also if Fallout is gonna be on the list then it'll be hard to argue that Witcher 3 should be disqualified for technical performance). Jeff didn't like the movement, which has also been fixed since then so hopefully he'll check it out before they debate.

Dan may have gotten bored of it like 60 hours in but even he seemed to mostly love the game up until that point. Jason seems to really like it and even Alex seemed to like the stuff he played of it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think Tomb Raider will be higher than Fallout. I also don't see Axiom beating Splatoon.

I also think Undertale is too low. Remember Dan played and liked it.

He liked it but nothing more. I can see Undertale being #10 or so but not much higher. Witcher 3 won't even be there. Still not sure about Mario Maker, nobody besides Dan and Jeff seem to give a shit about that game. I can see a future in which Just Cause 3 takes the #1 spot, that's a game a lot of them are excited for. It could mordor it's way to victory.

Everything I have learned about Amiibo Festival in the last day leads me to believe it is not conducive to the entertainment and horribleness seen in Mario Party. I dont think it is possible for the game to build and build into a great closing moment - not even close.

I am going in sceptical.

I really disagree with this. I've played something like 50 hours so I haven't seen it all
People saying the script is bad fall in to three groups

A) Don't know a lot about writing (in a creative medium)
B) Listen to the "the script is bad" folks on NeoGAF and just repeat it without thinking
C) A mix of A and B

Put this script and VO in The Witcher 3 engine and people would be praising it for its depth.

Its above average script and VO.

Same goes for the writing

Interesting, so all people not enamored with the writing are idiots of one form or another? I hadn't considered that.

I don't think it takes a literary genius to recognize how terribly the transition from wanderer out of time to savior of the wasteland was handled terribly right out of the gate and in my obviously worthless opinion, and the same old tired main character development that Bethesda can't seem to get away from.

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. Rocket League
4. Axiom Verge
5. Splatoon
6. The Witcher 3
7. Bloodborne
8. Undertale
9. Fallout 4

Got the feeling Metal Gear Solid V is this years Destiny.

It really shouldn't be on the list but Dan "I like the game because it unlocks new options even though I only ever used the riot SMG and Quiet" Ryckert will fight tooth and nail for it.

Got the feeling Metal Gear Solid V is this years Destiny.

It really shouldn't be on the list but Dan "I like the game because it unlocks new options even though I only ever used the riot SMG and Quiet" Ryckert will fight tooth and nail for it.

Except Dan isn't the only person that really liked it. MGSV is not gonna have a hard fight being in the top 5, let alone the top 10.

omgkitty

Except Dan isn't the only person that really liked it.

Exactly. The only two people to really get into Super Mario Maker are Dan and Jeff which makes me think MGS V will win GOTY because it should have the pull of everyone, seeing as the entire staff played it and liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom