• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I'm pre-ordering an Oculus Rift in less than an hour and none of you can stop me. Not with logic, reason, or force.

I want one buttttttttt the high initial price point and the fact that my gtx 770 doesn't seem to cut it means that I'm looking at a grand in upgrades just to get in on the fun.

I'm hoping that PSVR ends up being PC compatible - either officially or unofficially - so I can cut some of the initial day one VR costs down some

I want one buttttttttt the high initial price point and the fact that my gtx 770 doesn't seem to cut it means that I'm looking at a grand in upgrades just to get in on the fun.

I'm hoping that PSVR ends up being PC compatible - either officially or unofficially - so I can cut some of the initial day one VR costs down some

I'm sure the PSVR will be working on PC in some capacity eventually. And yeah. 770 ain't gonna cut it.

jmood88

I played some more Ori and like it a lot (and the music is definitely superb), but man if it isn't the most demoralizing thing when your mind wanders and you forget to make a manual checkpoint for a bit then die and have to do a big chunk over.
I stopped playing it for a few months after I got some other games and I have no idea where I'm supposed to go now.

Dineren

Banned
I think $499 is probably right, though I won't be too surprised if it goes higher. I've got no self-control so I'm in no matter what the price ends up being. I just hope the rumors about it shipping quickly are true.

Fireblend

Banned
I played some more Ori and like it a lot (and the music is definitely superb), but man if it isn't the most demoralizing thing when your mind wanders and you forget to make a manual checkpoint for a bit then die and have to do a big chunk over.

My programmer brain is already wired to save after every minor hint of progress, so I didn't forget once about the saves. I do recall not having enough energy sometimes for one though.

daveo42

Banned
Looking forward to the Oculus Quick Looks.

CVfu90rVAAAS8qj.jpg

Dineren

Banned
Makes me wonder what the Vive is going to end up costing. I would think that will cost more than the Oculus unless they sell it below cost. Regardless, I'm glad I got my order in, I love this stuff.

hamchan

With the cost of buying a new PC and that $599 price for the actual unit it looks like I'll be waiting a while before jumping in.

Zaph

£500? Eh, if I didn't just drop £700 on a monitor I'd consider it, but I've not even tried modern VR yet so I think I'll wait for the dust to settle.

If they sold a version without the xb1 controller I think that would help deflate the cost some. But who knows;m, maybe they feel weird putting it out there without some sort of guaranteed input device

The Windows focus and MS mini-partnership makes me think the controller cost is almost zero for Oculus.

I've already accepted that it will be at least 2-3 years before I can even consider purchasing a VR headset, so I just look at that and go "Yep, that sounds about right."

Dineren

Banned
If they sold a version without the xb1 controller I think that would help deflate the cost some. But who knows;m, maybe they feel weird putting it out there without some sort of guaranteed input device

According to Palmer it costs them very little to pack in the controller. I think he said if you sold the controller you would actually make money on it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that'll be a super niche product. Even more than before. Which makes it less attractive for game developers who can only sell a few thousand copies of VR versions of their games. I don't know, man...

Keep in mind that Oculus is essentially selling these at cost. Even if Sony can also do that, don't think it will be significantly cheaper. That's some legit hardware in PSVR.

Keep in mind that Oculus is essentially selling these at cost. Even if Sony can also do that, don't think it will be significantly cheaper. That's some legit hardware in PSVR.

it's still less of a cost if you already have the hardware, though.

I have the camera and the console already so my upfront costs will be much lower than getting a Rift and then also upgrading my GPU

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Between the price, the Facebook, and the focus on the Xbox One controller I couldn't be less interested in a first generation Oculus any longer. Kind of glad they put an absurd cost on it, removes what little temptation was left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom