• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Okay, so, it's pretty late and I'm a little drunk, but based on this topic and this picture: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166532

nothingchanged.png

Can anyone tell me if this is not a weird mix of a defeatist attitude and "fuck-you-I-got-mine"ism? Like, what good was running the poll if the endpoint was so clear? Most of the backers didn't vote. Of those that did, more said "meh, whatevs" than anything else. Of those that had a fucking opinion, more said "yes" to the granting of otherwise-exclusive awards than said "no". How in the hell is "simply nothing added" not a shoulder-shrugging dismissive measure in anything but a grain cereal commercial?

And yet it's a no to granting those that backed via paypal for various reasons the same rewards as those who could back the kickstarter in the first month.

It really feels like the end result of this poll is an opportunity for around 4,000 people to prove that they're dicks and for the management of the pre-release crowdfunding campaign to continue to shrug its shoulders, and nothing else.

Like, I genuinely don't give a flying fuck about Shenmue and I truly hope that people enjoy something they've waited for years to exist cuz I'm not a prick who wants to deny people their fun. But man, a whole fuckload of this funds-reaching campaign has been filled with stupid, obvious fuckups by the staff and vacuous apologism by the fans. How could something so wanted for so long have been so carelessly handled, and how high are the hopes that it produces such zealous defense?

To be fair from reading that OP, it looks like from the start none of the paypal backers were gonna get any KS exclusive rewards in the first place. Running that poll was pretty dickish though.

Anyway, speaking of better games, I was only gonna play Splatoon for 20 minutes and ended up playing for 2 hours. This game is so damn good.

yami4ct

Watching the original Gundam and I've kinda zoned out 5 eps in since it's been a pretty repetitive Amuro vs Char battle at the end of every ep.

The original gundam is really hard to watch in terms of its janky animation and weird pacing. Not to mention Tomino's...unique directing style popping in on occasion.

Best way to experience the original is either abridged through the film trilogy or if you want all the content with better pacing, read The Origin manga.

AcridMeat

Banned
Nah. He started a couple of times but I cut him off and took those parts out. I figure it's a very small amount of the viewership (listenership?) that wants to hear us talk about old dude rock.
You make me sad Ryckert.
I could watch these forever. So darn entertaining haha.

LOOK AT IT!
Holy shit, isn't he 70? I'm astounded.
Just saw these alternate GB logos some guys made. Would love some of these on a mug or maybe a shirt.
I really like the Destiny one.

danm999

Okay, so, it's pretty late and I'm a little drunk, but based on this topic and this picture: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166532

nothingchanged.png

Can anyone tell me if this is not a weird mix of a defeatist attitude and "fuck-you-I-got-mine"ism? Like, what good was running the poll if the endpoint was so clear? Most of the backers didn't vote. Of those that did, more said "meh, whatevs" than anything else. Of those that had a fucking opinion, more said "yes" to the granting of otherwise-exclusive awards than said "no". How in the hell is "simply nothing added" not a shoulder-shrugging dismissive measure in anything but a grain cereal commercial?

And yet it's a no to granting those that backed via paypal for various reasons the same rewards as those who could back the kickstarter in the first month.

It really feels like the end result of this poll is an opportunity for around 4,000 people to prove that they're dicks and for the management of the pre-release crowdfunding campaign to continue to shrug its shoulders, and nothing else.

Like, I genuinely don't give a flying fuck about Shenmue and I truly hope that people enjoy something they've waited for years to exist cuz I'm not a prick who wants to deny people their fun. But man, a whole fuckload of this funds-reaching campaign has been filled with stupid, obvious fuckups by the staff and vacuous apologism by the fans. How could something so wanted for so long have been so carelessly handled, and how high are the hopes that it produces such zealous defense?

Good god who is running that thing.

yami4ct

Good god who is running that thing.

Hopefully not the same people who've run Inafune's KS. The only KS I've seen run worse than Shenmue's was Mighty No 9 and even moreso Red Ash.

Seems like a lot of game makers really don't know how to manage kickstarters still.

Hopefully not the same people who've run Inafune's KS. The only KS I've seen run worse than Shenmue's was Mighty No 9 and even moreso Red Ash.

Seems like a lot of game makers really don't know how to manage kickstarters still.

Igarashi's kickstarter was superbly run, despite complaints from pundits that encouraging fan engagement was scummy and that it wasn't a real indie game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't 8-4 involved with the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter? You can say what you will about the game, but the campaign was quite succesful.

repeater

2813000-videogameswin.jpg

From the guy who created the Twitchidler Jeff started with his tweet. The Man just wants to keep us down!
Fuck you Twitch. Renowned videogame website theGiantBomb.com even has a category for clicker games in their Best Game of the Year awards. You can't do this.

yami4ct

Just got the Ugly Baby quest in Witcher 3. Know I've got like a quarter of the game left, but I already feel the endgame wheels start to turn. I don't want it to finish. Good thing I have Hearts of Stone waiting for me to give me another 10 hours or so once I get the levels.

Anjin M

Just got the Ugly Baby quest in Witcher 3. Know I've got like a quarter of the game left, but I already feel the endgame wheels start to turn. I don't want it to finish. Good thing I have Hearts of Stone waiting for me to give me another 10 hours or so once I get the levels.
Once I got to Ugly Baby, I main lined the rest of the game. You can return to the side quests, witcher contracts, and DLC after the credits roll.

yami4ct

Now is the time to quit.

People have different tastes, but Dan getting here and saying 'nah I'm done' could not be any more different from me. I picked the game up after an even longer break than he did and I'm riveted. Can't wait to see how this goes.

danm999

People have different tastes, but Dan getting here and saying 'nah I'm done' could not be any more different from me. I picked the game up after an even longer break than he did and I'm riveted. Can't wait to see how this goes.

I think it might not have helped that people were bugging the fuck out of him to finish it, and that it was around the time Metal Gear and Mario Maker came out.

This is exactly how it went for me, I stopped in May and came back to it at Skellige in November and ended up getting hooked and burning through the last twenty hours over a weekend.

yami4ct

I think it might not have helped that people were bugging the fuck out of him to finish it, and that it was around the time Metal Gear and Mario Maker came out.

Say that. That's totally fine and valid! His complaints always seemed to be tied to game quality, which are obviously very different from my opinions.

I have issues with the game, for sure, but the idea that it's impossible to come back to it once you lose momentum seems crazy to me now.

danm999

Yeah I played it all in one go but I found lots of the Novigrad stuff very enjoyable, especially the role playing as the super hero bits.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Say that. That's totally fine and valid! His complaints always seemed to be tied to game quality, which are obviously very different from my opinions.

I have issues with the game, for sure, but the idea that it's impossible to come back to it once you lose momentum seems crazy to me now.

He also said that he got tired of the actual gameplay.

yami4ct

He also said that he got tired of the actual gameplay.

I can totally see that. The combat isn't great at all. It's better than trash in similar RPGs like Skyrim, but that isn't a high bar. I also have significant qualms with the quest structure.

Writing keeps it going for me and the game absolutely has much more story value than just the stuff around the Bloody Baron.

I love that I'm stacking up on content. Currently busy with AGDQ but by the time it's over I'd be having 1 bombcast, 2 beastcasts, 1 Ryckertcast and a UPF to go through.

rick-ross-xxl-2011-psd70463.png

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So happy about this Pac-Man trailer on their youtube channel. Pretty sure it's the first one in years.

I think I'm one of the few who wasn't that impressed with the final act of the Witcher.
There were a few good character moments but the whole ME2 your previous choices determine the outcome section didn't do much for me and the final bosses were pretty bland, but in particular the biggest offender was that the antagonists never rose above being generic evil guyz. This was particularly disappointing coming from a series with such great character writing, I kept waiting for the scene that would add more depth to Eredin but it never happened.

It wasn't awful or anything as some of the Kaer Morhen bits made up for it, but everything involving the Wild Hunt in the last act was pry my least favorite section of the game.

edit: On second thought I don't think this post is particularly spoilery but tagged just in case

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Man I forgot how ugly the first Gameboy Mario game was, jesus

I think I'm one of the few who wasn't that impressed with the final act of the Witcher.
There were a few good character moments but the whole ME2 your previous choices determine the outcome section didn't do much for me and the final bosses were pretty bland, but in particular the biggest offender was that the antagonists never rose above being generic evil guyz. This was particularly disappointing coming from a series with such great character writing, I kept waiting for the scene that would add more depth to Eredin but it never happened.

It wasn't awful or anything as some of the Kaer Morhen bits made up for it, but everything involving the Wild Hunt in the last act was pry my least favorite section of the game.

edit: On second thought I don't think this post is particularly spoilery but tagged just in case

I liked the Kaer Morhen stuff a whole lot and I really liked seeing Geralt and Ciri interact with each other but I agree that most of the Wild Hunt stuff was weak. It showed promise when you go to see the crones again and when you go to that other world but that stuff ends up being interesting for reasons unrelated to the Wild Hunt.

Thankfully Heart of Stone has great antagonists.

danm999

See I was worried it was going to go the other way and be a RBG choice like Mass Effect 3.

And yeah Eredin really isn't an important character, but the core of that game is the Geralt/Ciri relationship. Having the entire ending pivot on the small moments and ways Geralt treated her over the course of the game was exactly the right way to handle that in my opinion.

Having Geralt be either a broken shell or a proud father by the game's end felt more impactful than other RPGs where I'm fundamentally altering world states.

Patryn

Man I forgot how ugly the first Gameboy Mario game was, jesus

Hey, I have great memories of that game.

Especially those weird shooter levels. That was just strange in a Mario game.

I've seen TAS runs that were less precise and impressive than this.

Everything from that final jump before the pipe to the end is just such total bullshit of such a level that I don't think even Dan could conceive of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom