• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's still less of a cost if you already have the hardware, though.

I have the camera and the console already so my upfront costs will be much lower than getting a Rift and then also upgrading my GPU

I mean, that's a $50 camera innit? That's not going to reduce the price by much more than, say, $50. And myself and many other Oculus buyers already have high-end gaming PCs.

Zaph

Keep in mind that Oculus is essentially selling these at cost. Even if Sony can also do that, don't think it will be significantly cheaper. That's some legit hardware in PSVR.

While they may be, "selling at cost" is a very nebulous term. For one company they could mean just the MBOM, for another it could be the MBOM plus shipping and taxes, or it could be completely inflated with all of the above plus a portion to recoup R&D costs. So there's still potential for movement here, but I don't think Sony will come in under $499.

I mean, that's a $50 camera innit? That's not going to reduce the price by much more than, say, $50. And myself and many other Oculus buyers already have high-end gaming PCs.

well it helps sony in regards to selling cheaper bundles with different sku. Plus, it's easier at retail to say, "here, you just need this PSVR bundle and a PS4" than "Here, you need this Rift device and then you need to buy this $800-$1000 desktop PC (because the average person does not have a capable desktop or even a desktop at all)"

In regards to which option will help VR the most, there's little to deny that unless Sony fucks this up from here to launch that the PSVR seems like the best VR option for the average consumer interested in VR in 2015.

daveo42

Banned

$399 for the base unit. $499 for a bundle that includes the camera and Move Controllers. VR ain't gonna be cheap at the start. Funny that Sony is more than likely selling the "budget" VR experience.

Heimbeck

Banned
While they may be, "selling at cost" is a very nebulous term. For one company they could mean just the MBOM, for another it could be the MBOM plus shipping and taxes, or it could be completely inflated with all of the above plus a portion to recoup R&D costs. So there's still potential for movement here, but I don't think Sony will come in under $499.

I think $400 is a possibility for the PSVR, it kind of has to be if they want any chance of mainstream success.

I think $200 is significant.
I guess it depends if they include everything for $400 though.
Indeed, that would be a great price with everything included.
I don't think so either, not with camera + move controllers at least.
well it helps sony in regards to selling cheaper bundles with different sku. Plus, it's easier at retail to say, "here, you just need this PSVR bundle and a PS4" than "Here, you need this Rift device and then you need to buy this $800-$1000 desktop PC (because the average person does not have a capable desktop or even a desktop at all)"

In regards to which option will help VR the most, there's little to deny that unless Sony fucks this up from here to launch that the PSVR seems like the best VR option for the average consumer interested in VR in 2015.
Totally, I agree. I do not, however, think PSVR will be the best VR experience, but that's a different conversation.

$399 for the base unit. $499 for a bundle that includes the camera and Move Controllers. VR ain't gonna be cheap at the start. Funny that Sony is more than likely selling the "budget" VR experience.

I think their best possible scenario would be a $399 PSVR headset. Wouldn't include camera or controllers though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's not really unexpected but I now have no desire to buy that thing. I'm sure it's amazing but.....nope.
Now I'm even more pessimistic about the future of VR

Indeed, that would be a great price with everything included.

I don't think so either, not with camera + move controllers at least.

Totally, I agree. I do not, however, think PSVR will be the best VR experience, but that's a different conversation.

well the best option for the average consumer and the best VR experience arent necessarily the same thing.

the PS2 and Wii were not the best consoles in their generation in terms of specs but that didn't end up mattering when it came to how well they did

I never expected these first gen VR headsets to be value priced and always expected them to be pretty expensive. Its 1th gen tech and like most 1th gen tech this is really just targeting the enthusiasts and working out the kinks at a bigger scale so they can work towards getting the real mass market divide ready.

But I expected 499 to be the entry point. 399 would have been the sweet spot but I didnt except that now.

599 is crazy bananas.

Sony will obviously undercut this but no way am I buying a headset that will only work on a console.

daveo42

Banned
II think their best possible scenario would be a $399 PSVR headset. Wouldn't include camera or controllers though.

Pretty much what I'm going for, except I think the camera has to be included for the VR headset to work, unless I'm mistaken on that point. Shit...Sony could still get away with the $400 pricetag since their camera definitely isn't worth $50 in parts.

$800 for whole shebang (minus Move) looks promising when related to the Oculus point of entry.

Pretty much what I'm going for, except I think the camera has to be included for the VR headset to work, unless I'm mistaken on that point. Shit...Sony could still get away with the $400 pricetag since their camera definitely isn't worth $50 in parts.

$800 for whole shebang (minus Move) looks promising when related to the Occulus point of entry.

makes zero sense to have a packed in camera if people already have the PS4 camera, though.

I see different skus for the PSVR because otherwise they're selling redundant hardware with the packed in camera

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even expect the prices to drop that much. This isn't the usual computer hardware where processing power just grows and grows. Screens, lenses(!), build quality, comfortable padding etc, all that stuff has its price. That will decrease with larger shipments, but it's a base value that's different from chips.

Dineren

Banned
makes zero sense to have a packed in camera if people already have the PS4 camera, though.

I see different skus for the PSVR because otherwise they're selling redundant hardware with the packed in camera

I guess that depends how many cameras have sold. If not many have then it wouldn't make much sense to have multiple skus.

Heimbeck

Banned

I think I have two PS4 cameras for some reason, so I hope so because I really don't need another one.

I guess that depends how many cameras have sold. If not many have then it wouldn't make much sense to have multiple skus.

there's likely enough out there to justify a lower cost, 360-arcade edition of the PSVR. It's worth it to them to have a lower priced SKU because that shit looks good at an E3 presentation or as part of a marketing push.

daveo42

Banned

That depends on the current install base. I don't really need the camera, but $399 seems like a good starting base for it and I don't see them them either dropping the cost for just the headset or moving above that price point to just include a camera. As I see it now, it should launch as:

- PSVR Base set - Headset and Camera - $399
- PSVR Full set - Headset, Camera and Move controllers - $499

Dineren

Banned
That depends on the current install base. I don't really need the camera, but $399 seems like a good starting base for it and I don't see them them either dropping the cost for just the headset or moving above that price point to just include a camera. As I see it now, it should launch as:

- PSVR Base set - Headset and Camera - $399
- PSVR Full set - Headset, Camera and Move controllers - $499

Those seems like pretty good prices. I find it hard to believe they could get it much cheaper with the breakout box and camera. Although who knows what the cost of their components are vs the Oculus.

Will Smith doesn't seem too concerned about the price on Twitter. I'm kind of curious how the adoption rate of VR will affect his business plans. Hopefully he is able to talk about it sometime in the near future.

That PSVR breakout box is the real unknown. They've said it isn't a discrete video processor, but it could still contain some expensive hardware. Or not, though.

popo

I have not early adopted anything since I spent all my hard earned pocket money on an N64 and they dropped the price like a month after launch.

Price is not that unexpected though. Less than an off contract iphone.

Well, preorders have just gone live on Oculus' site and the final price for the headset is: £499. That's significantly more than the £410 that the US price of $599 translates to but it is less of a mark up than, for example, Apple's products get when they come over to the UK. The price difference is largely down to sales tax. Once you include that for the US version it comes to about £492.

I have not checked those figures but it looks like they are not fucking UK buyers too much. Of course the £ is weak against the dollar atm which pushes up price.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
does anyone remember the name of that game that Vinny and Alex did a quicklook of that takes place in a bunker, and you need to send out family members to get supplies and shit? It was comedic, not something like This War of Mine

Xater

does anyone remember the name of that game that Vinny and Alex did a quicklook of that takes place in a bunker, and you need to send out family members to get supplies and shit? It was comedic, not something like This War of Mine

Fallout Shelter?

60 Seconds? Is it the one where you had 60 seconds to gather your family and supplies?

tumblr_nsrnholsJL1qj1esxo1_500.jpg

tuxfool

Banned
I was bored and read people saying it was gonna be less than $400 in the GAF thread.

So yes.

To be honest around the time of DK2, they were implying that economies of scale would allow them to both improve on that hardware and thus keep consumer versions at that price.

As time went on and they kept improving the device in all sorts of ways, that initial estimate would only hold for the most delusional of optimists.

One also has to bear in mind that the cost of that bundle includes two games and a xb1 controller, so snip off another 100 and you get the cost of the device. I'd also bet that they're selling the device at cost, but that cost includes their sunk engineering costs all these years.

Did people really anticipate that the first wave of VR stuff was going to be consumer priced?

Also Oculus have been saying for ages it was targeted at high end PCs which the majority of gamers do not have.

I'm not sure who's been thinking VR is going to sell millions of units this year but it wasn't me.

To celebrate the Oculus Rift meltdown, I sat down to play some TrackMania with Jefflr on in the background.

Instead what I have been doing is micro-managing the categories of my Steam library with Jefflr on in the background.

I give it a respectable 3/5 stars.

No_Style

$600 USD is the exact price that Jeff was willing to pay for the Rift.

It's also $600 less than the max that Dan was willing to pay, so he must be stoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom