• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
it's cool to see mario maker played on agdq but on the other hand, they're kinda going into those levels blind so that's not really different from, you know, playing a video game in a non-speedrun fashion

it's cool to see mario maker played on agdq but on the other hand, they're kinda going into those levels blind so that's not really different from, you know, playing a video game in a non-speedrun fashion

agdq needs a rebranding

something like

xagdq

x standing for Xtreme

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's why it's a race. The next bit is with known levels.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder how Sony feels watching all this social media buzz of creating and playing on Mario Maker.

need a photoshop of Sackboy outside in the snow

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wonder how Sony feels watching all this social media buzz of creating and playing on Mario Maker.

need a photoshop of Sackboy outside in the snow

And media molecule's lesson from all that is to make creation stuff even more esoteric than ever.

tuxfool

Banned
And media molecule's lesson from all that is to make creation stuff even more esoteric than ever.

What Media Molecule is creating now is seriously impressive technically. There really is nothing like it, it is thinking about things completely out of the box from just about most other developers.

What Media Molecule is creating now is seriously impressive technically. There really is nothing like it, it is thinking about things completely out of the box from just about most other developers.

It is. But if the tools aren't intuitive then it doesn't matter how technically impressive it is. Really hope they make it work because it looks great.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff and Dan were talking about sequels to Mario Maker but I kind of thought differently.

I thought the overhead and kind of structured format of Mario 3D Land would work well with a creation tool.

It is. But if the tools aren't intuitive then it doesn't matter how technically impressive it is. Really hope they make it work because it looks great.

A huge boon for the creation process is community sourcing asset creation to in turn drive level creation. In an ideal scenario a fraction of its audience finds joy in sculpting, to support a fraction of level creators, to support a fraction who wish to play levels.

Chuck

Still without luck
Hey dudes

I just finished mass effect 3, for the first time, and having never been spoiled for it

And I don't fully get why people were so angry...

FluxWaveZ

Hey dudes

I just finished mass effect 3, for the first time, and having never been spoiled for it

Stop.

The fact that you just finished Mass Effect 3 says a lot about your affinity towards the series compared to the brunt of those who were losing it, though. That could be an explanation for your muted response to it.

hamchan

Hey dudes

They added an extra epilogue post-release so you might not have experienced the original awful ending to that game.

Chuck

Still without luck
Stop.

The fact that you just finished Mass Effect 3 says a lot about your affinity towards the series compared to the brunt of those who were losing it, though. That could be an explanation for your muted response to it.

It'll probably take time to sink in, but for me Mass Effect was that beautiful hope for an amazing scifi game series. Mass Effect 1 set up an amazing universe that I love to no end. But after the less good 2, and the really poor 3, in both writing and gameplay, I lost interest in 3 about half way through. I just decided on a night to play it and finish it. The ending is boring, three button presses that bring peace one way or another, but I don't really get what people wanted.

They added an extra epilogue post-release so you might not have experienced the original awful ending to that game.

Maybe that is part of it too. I guess I'll see what it added.

danm999

The ending is boring, three button presses that bring peace one way or another, but I don't really get what people wanted.

I think people were a little put off by how same-y the endings were given the emphasis Bioware was placing on your choices mattering and how it would wrap everything up.

Chuck

Still without luck
I think people were a little put off by how same-y the endings were given the emphasis Bioware was placing on your choices mattering and how it would wrap everything up.

It's a poor decision to end the game in a way that make your choices not matter. But would people have preferred if you just blew up the reapers and the final shot is you sipping on an alien cocktail on a far flung world looking at some rings in space?

i do remember a mass effect bombcast I skipped, think i'll give that a listen now.

FluxWaveZ

Nah, as one of the "outraged," a lot of people point to this being why people were disappointed or because it wasn't a "happy ending," but it's a lot more elaborate than that. I wouldn't care if the ending was just 3 choices at the end of a corridor; Deus Ex did that and I didn't have a problem with its endings.

It's a poor decision to end the game in a way that make your choices not matter. But would people have preferred if you just blew up the reapers and the final shot is you sipping on an alien cocktail on a far flung world looking at some rings in space?

i do remember a mass effect bombcast I skipped, think i'll give that a listen now.

The scene right before "Star Child" enters the fray would have been the perfect place to end it, and it wouldn't have made ME3's the most controversial video game ending of all time. That magic space weapon activates, Shepard dies (or not) due to his injuries next to that other commander who's name I forget, while they watch the landscape before them. Clean ending, without any deus ex machinas, faulty logic, or any of the other crap that made it notoriously terrible.

Chuck

Still without luck
Nah, as one of the "outraged," a lot of people point to this being why people were disappointed or because it wasn't a "happy ending," but it's a lot more elaborate than that. I wouldn't care if the ending was just 3 choices at the end of a corridor; Deus Ex did that and I didn't have a problem with its endings.

The scene right before "Star Child" enters the fray would have been the perfect place to end it, and it wouldn't have made ME3's the most controversial video game ending of all time. That magic space weapon activates, Shepard dies (or not) due to his injuries next to that other commander who's name I forget, while they watch the landscape before them. Clean ending, without any deus ex machinas, faulty logic, or any of the other crap that made it notoriously terrible.

I just always saw them going in the direction of the bigger picture, since 2 anyway. 1 was such an amazing game just because of the beautiful galaxy in front of you. Then along the way, they wanted to make you the space god and really lost what they had a chance in creating. A massive shame.

danm999

I think people might have wanted something a little more like Mass Effect 2 where the ending was a slow burn consequence of the things you had done over the game?

I personally think the ending would have gone down better if they had simply locked you to Control, Genocide or Synthesis based on how you had opted to solve conflicts in the past. Like, if you'd handled the Geth-Quarian war in a certain way for instance, it pushed you down a thematic path.

It would have had two impacts in my mind; it wouldn't have allowed you to immediately reload and try a different ending and see how derivative they were (yeah you can still see it on YouTube but I'm not a miracle worker), and it would have made you feel like the game was actually reacting to your narrative playstyle which is important for any roleplaying game.

There are probably more than a dozen reasons people could give to being disappointed with Mass Effect 3, but I think that Casey Hudson your choices matter quote was a huge reason for lots of people.

FluxWaveZ

There are probably more than a dozen reasons people could give to being disappointed with Mass Effect 3, but I think that Casey Hudson your choices matter quote was a huge reason for lots of people.

Yeah, I personally don't mind the concept mechanically for the way they handled the multiple endings (it's the content itself that I take issue with), but it's that quote in question that made the outcome all the more hilarious/terrible.

This is why I can't get excited for Mass Effect Andromeda. Or that I can't let myself get excited for it. That ending was just a huge slap in the face for me. I just really feel like stunts like that really just insult my intelligence, and it really made me not care for the series anymore. Looking forward to seeing how that game's reception is like.

danm999

I am excited for Andromeda because I'm going to hold out hope they lean into the best things the Mass Effect series has to offer; the sense of exploration and scope, introducing new races and conflicts and the like.

I am excited for Andromeda because I'm going to hold out hope they lean into the best things the Mass Effect series has to offer; the sense of exploration and scope, introducing new races and conflicts and the like.
Don't forget the frontier setting creating bold new opportunities to be a Space Racist.

I suspect my enjoyment of Andromeda will depend largely on how many quest objectives involve collecting large numbers of useless objects.

ME3 MP was super fun.

I'm quoting you just for finishing Ori, good job. You have seen the light.

thumbs_up_waynes_world.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom